News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on March 13, 2013, 10:42:43 AM
Vikings- Its entertaining but...is this anywhere near historically accurate? It can't be surely..."There are no lands to the west". Even assuming these are a few especially ignorant people...coastal trade routes were well established no?  Its bizzare.

That turned me right off.

Viking seafarers ignorant of the very existance of England? Yeah, right.  :lol:

My suspension of disbelief was shot. And it was so unnecessary, There are tons of great Viking stories out there, why invent this garbage?

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Liep

It started in 780-something. Why is that so difficult to believe? The first recorded raids weren't until 793 at Lindisfarne.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Liep on March 13, 2013, 11:30:53 AM
Why is that so difficult to believe?

Because their cousins the Saxons had been raiding the place for400 years and eventually moved there.

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2013, 11:59:37 AM
Why is that so difficult to believe?

Because their cousins the Saxons had been raiding the place for400 years and eventually moved there.
But they didn't reach it by travelling across the north sea, did they?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Liep on March 13, 2013, 12:29:34 PM

I think they did for the most part actually.  To go from Germany to England you cross the North Sea.

But what difference would it make if they didn't?  We're talking about knowledge of the *existence* of Great Britain.

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2013, 12:32:22 PM
Quote from: Liep on March 13, 2013, 12:29:34 PM

I think they did for the most part actually.  To go from Germany to England you cross the North Sea.

But what difference would it make if they didn't?  We're talking about knowledge of the *existence* of Great Britain.
Aren't we talking about how unbelievable it is that a Norwegian earl doens't think that there's land across open water?

Admiral Yi

Viking

It started in 780-something. Why is that so difficult to believe? The first recorded raids weren't until 793 at Lindisfarne.

The Jutes that invaded kent with the saxons were danes. So, yes the danes knew about england and they spoke a very similar language. But more stuff that makes no sense

Earl Haraldson - wtf? Patronyms duude, Haraldson means "son of harald". I can guarantee that nobody ever called himself earl son of <insert name>.

Jarls were local leaders of men who were most valued in combat. If their position was at all hereditary it was due to the huscarls that would be sympathetic to the son of the man they loved.

Sea Kings had ships, they crewed their ships with men seeking shares in the plunder. The two things are not directly connected, though often they were the same men.

In reality Harald Jarl would have laughed at Ragnar and let him go. Also there were no villages per-se at the time, so no village blacksmith. Each farm had it's own forge for iron work.

While decent as a story I just find the blatant historical fuckup so annoying that I can't appreciate the rest...
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Liep

This isn't in Denmark though? Denmark is flat.

Viking

Quote from: Liep on March 13, 2013, 01:12:32 PM
This isn't in Denmark though? Denmark is flat.

Ragnar Lothbrok was Danish and so far he is the only specifically identified character. Though he did live 60 years after lindesfarne.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

More bitching about Vikings

- They did not fight in loose order, they fought in shield walls. This is especially silly since in the scene were they test Knut they bring up that they fight side by side. So did the saxons.

- Viking hordes do not have dead bodies or human sacrifices in them. Rich burials do.

- Sea kings got shares, land jarls didn't. The Land Jarls certainly did not get to tell the raiders where to go. How are the going to police that anyway. I stole this in Russia. But it's English. The Russians probably stole it from England.

- The whole male population didn't go raiding, a small proportion did.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on March 12, 2013, 09:56:30 AM
Read an article the other day about streaming video in Germany vs. U.S. In Germany, internet users spend about 50% more online time watching videos compared to Americans.

At the same time there's no offering comparable to hulu or netflix, YouTube is seriously gimped by music rights organization, and iTunes movies/tv is still in its infancy.

And Germany is still lightyears ahead of Austria.
Anything like BBC Iplayer, ITVplayer, 4OD...?
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 13, 2013, 09:41:36 PM
Anything like BBC Iplayer, ITVplayer, 4OD...?

Well, it seems one station is putting up its TV series, for 0.99€ per episode. The others don't seem to have that. The public owned TV stations keep documentaries and news online, but are required to delete them after 7 days (because that would be undue competition to the commercial TV stations and news sites :rolleyes: ). My cable company offers some series/videos as video on demand on the digital box, but almost all of it is dubbed, not in original (but I cancelled that service, anyways). There's an offering from Sky (formerly Premiere - showing latest movies, TV shows etc.) that includes an online streaming service fr computers, tablets and so on, but they ONLY offer it if you sign up for their TV package.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Wow.

Iplayer keeps new programs up for about a month, with some foreign shows and films only lasting 7 days - for free for UK residents. They've prompted all the other terrestrial broadcasters to do the same (not sure about Channel 5). Channel 4's put most of their archives on 4OD and Youtube too.

The BBC plans to put their whole archive online at some point but that's a huge, long-term project.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on March 13, 2013, 01:01:33 PM

The Jutes that invaded kent with the saxons were danes. So, yes the danes knew about england and they spoke a very similar language. But more stuff that makes no sense

Earl Haraldson - wtf? Patronyms duude, Haraldson means "son of harald". I can guarantee that nobody ever called himself earl son of <insert name>.

Jarls were local leaders of men who were most valued in combat. If their position was at all hereditary it was due to the huscarls that would be sympathetic to the son of the man they loved.

Sea Kings had ships, they crewed their ships with men seeking shares in the plunder. The two things are not directly connected, though often they were the same men.

In reality Harald Jarl would have laughed at Ragnar and let him go. Also there were no villages per-se at the time, so no village blacksmith. Each farm had it's own forge for iron work.

While decent as a story I just find the blatant historical fuckup so annoying that I can't appreciate the rest...

What do you mean "no villages per-se"?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017