News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Glenn and Maggie really need to stop fucking around on watch.

Queequeg

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 10, 2013, 09:21:30 PM
I'm not sure how much around was involved. And that gate looked pretty secure.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Maladict

Is it just me or was Top Gear really boring last night?  :huh:

Liep

Quote from: Maladict on March 11, 2013, 02:42:15 AM
Is it just me or was Top Gear really boring last night?  :huh:
Not just you, it was rather dull.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ideologue

Bought the Die Hard BD collection the other day.  Live Free or Die Hard comes with it, but I didn't watch it again yet and may never because that movie blows.  I'll tell you what I thought of the OT:

Die Hard.  The apex of bad-ass 80s action cinema, John McClane showed us that regular guys can be heroes too, as long as they also have superhuman endurance and resistance to injury, and the bad guys don't shoot them in the face when they have the opportunity.  A+

Die Hard 2: Die Harder.  I actually forgot how enjoyable a sequel this was.  It calls back to the first incessantly, but most often in amusing ways that rang true to their situation (80s omni-dick William Atherton's pointless reprise of his telejournalist role, however, very much excepted).  William Sadler, of Bogus Journey fame, nay legend, is here seen approaching the level of craft he brought to that latter film, and is deliciously effective as the central villain.  I liked the third act twist (OMG BLUE TAPE and Dennis Franz is the worst fucking cop in the world not to notice that eight billion rounds of expended ammunition produced no visible damage to anything whatsoever), and I even dug William Shatner's nightmare scenario as three men fought on the wing. of. the. plane.  Unfortunately, they went one bridge too far when the flames raced at 300mph through a wildly dispersed cloud of jet fuel to blow up the escaping terrorists in their 747.  But it's still pretty great.  If reviews and my instincts regarding A Good Day to Die Hard are to be trusted, Die Harder also has the distinction of being the only good non-McTiernan Die Hard film.  A

Die Hard With a Vengeance.  Better than September 11th.  A+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on March 11, 2013, 01:42:26 PM
Die Harder also has the distinction of being the only good non-McTiernan Die Hard film.  A

It also has the distinction as having the first and best totally-completely-unnecessary-but-designed-purely-for-the-audience gratuitous CGI action shot in movie history: McClane's ejection seat scene.  Up to then, action flick takeaways were relegated to over-the-top one liners, but this film gave the audience an actual over-the-top shot.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 10, 2013, 09:21:30 PM

Indeed.  Overall, easily the worst episode of the season so far (not to say it's crap, though).  The fact that any of the characters even doubt for a sec that the Governor is not full of batshit-crazy takes more suspension of disbelief than the zombies.

Eddie Teach

Disagree, there was an earlier episode(maybe 1st or 2d one after the break?) which was pretty much entirely filler IMO.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Hmm, I am pretty sure this one was about as filler as an episode could possibly be.

Eddie Teach

Eh, they got the whole "we have to at least try to negotiate" thing out of the way at least.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Actually if the episode had any kind of "reveal", it was [spoiler]the hint that the Governor's henchman, who was BS'ing with Daryl, might not be as blindly loyal as it might seem.[/spoiler]

My current "next to die" predictions?

- The Governor will kill Andrea just as she realizes she actually should have killed him first.

Bonus death: - The Governor's "nerd" sidekick will likely die in a similar fashion to Michael Ironside's dude-with-glasses Total Recall sidekick.  Except for the midget stripper with a knife part.

Syt

Started watching Enterprise Season 3, now 8 episodes in. After the mostly forgettable seasons 1&2 I wasn't sure whether I wanted to continue. So far I'm pleasantly surprised: Berman and Braga discovered CONTINUITY.  :o

Cpt. Archer is still a bumbling, rambling retard, though. No idea how is (mostly competent) crew put up with his incompetence. Seriously, even Tucker makes for a better commanding officer by now (as shown in the episode "Extinction").
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Just watched Argo. I enjoyed it, but I couldn't help myself from thinking than in a different year it wouldn't have a chance to get an Oscar.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 11, 2013, 03:01:24 PM
Bonus death: - The Governor's "nerd" sidekick will likely die in a similar fashion to Michael Ironside's dude-with-glasses Total Recall sidekick.  Except for the midget stripper with a knife part.

Oh, I think he's got a particularly gruesome albeit bittersweetly heroic ending in store.

crazy canuck

Finished the 5th episode of House of Cards.

This is really good stuff.  Hope it is deemed commercially successful so Netflix continues to turn out independant programming.