News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Larch on March 11, 2013, 05:39:48 PM
Just watched Argo. I enjoyed it, but I couldn't help myself from thinking than in a different year it wouldn't have a chance to get an Oscar.

Can't be worse than Crash.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 11, 2013, 06:12:47 PM
Finished the 5th episode of House of Cards.

This is really good stuff.  Hope it is deemed commercially successful so Netflix continues to turn out independant programming.

There was a piece on, I think, CBS Sunday Morning a week or two back that had an interview with a guy from Netflix.  The question was asked if they were pleased with the increase in subscribers from their Superbowl promos for HoC.  He wouldn't give numbers, but said they were very pleased.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 11, 2013, 05:44:15 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 11, 2013, 03:01:24 PM
Bonus death: - The Governor's "nerd" sidekick will likely die in a similar fashion to Michael Ironside's dude-with-glasses Total Recall sidekick.  Except for the midget stripper with a knife part.

Oh, I think he's got a particularly gruesome albeit bittersweetly heroic ending in store.

Yeah, actually, consider his extreme interest in zombie forensics, and his questioning of Hershel...I could see him doing something silly, like infecting himself "for science!".

Viking

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 11, 2013, 08:04:51 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 11, 2013, 05:44:15 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 11, 2013, 03:01:24 PM
Bonus death: - The Governor's "nerd" sidekick will likely die in a similar fashion to Michael Ironside's dude-with-glasses Total Recall sidekick.  Except for the midget stripper with a knife part.

Oh, I think he's got a particularly gruesome albeit bittersweetly heroic ending in store.

Yeah, actually, consider his extreme interest in zombie forensics, and his questioning of Hershel...I could see him doing something silly, like infecting himself "for science!".

he'll die trying to hack his own foot off
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 11, 2013, 08:02:53 PM

This is really good stuff.  Hope it is deemed commercially successful so Netflix continues to turn out independant programming.

There was a piece on, I think, CBS Sunday Morning a week or two back that had an interview with a guy from Netflix.  The question was asked if they were pleased with the increase in subscribers from their Superbowl promos for HoC.  He wouldn't give numbers, but said they were very pleased.

:yeah:

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 11, 2013, 08:21:11 PM

Other than House of Cards, how's the content on Canadian Netflix?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 12, 2013, 06:53:16 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 11, 2013, 08:21:11 PM

Other than House of Cards, how's the content on Canadian Netflix?

It's ok.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

What's on it? Old ass movies ? CanCon?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Saw part of Battleship.  What a piece of crap.

Syt

Read an article the other day about streaming video in Germany vs. U.S. In Germany, internet users spend about 50% more online time watching videos compared to Americans.

At the same time there's no offering comparable to hulu or netflix, YouTube is seriously gimped by music rights organization, and iTunes movies/tv is still in its infancy.

And Germany is still lightyears ahead of Austria.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

sbr

Brewster's Millions is on HBO. :D. I am just pissed I missed the first part.

Syt

Saw series X of Red Dwarf. Decent effort (going back to the roots, eh) - had a few laughs and interesting concepts (e.g. Dave coming to terms with being his own dad), but overall it's pretty "meh".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

I gotta say, after buying into the initial hype surrounding House of Cards, I am cooling off on that show. Sure, it is fun, but some of the plots/schemes of Frank Underwood are trite and unrealistic.

I am now after episode 6, where he [spoiler]provokes the union leader to punch him in the face[/spoiler], and it seemed very silly/unlikely to me.

Also, am I the only one who thinks half of this show is filler that doesn't really move the plot a lot? It seems like they are milking Kevin Spacey's acting, but it would have worked much better in a mini-series of 3-4 episodes.

Razgovory

I swear the mouth breathers at the local subway are trying to provoke me into doing that thing you blacked out every time I visit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Vikings- Its entertaining but...is this anywhere near historically accurate? It can't be surely..."There are no lands to the west". Even assuming these are a few especially ignorant people...coastal trade routes were well established no?  Its bizzare.
██████
██████
██████