News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on March 04, 2013, 10:26:13 PM
Walking Dead: You know if I was Rick, I'd go back to the prison and say, "OK, pack up. We're moving.  I know a place that the governor will never be able to get to." Seriously that Morgan dude has a nice little setup.

Yeah, except they would have to deal with Morgan....

My bet is they end up running there after the exiles show the Govenor the back door.

Scipio

Quote from: Syt on March 06, 2013, 12:42:38 PM
Watched "Brave". It was fun, but Oscar material . . . ?

Props for using a (mostly) Scottish cast.
It was like The Little Mermaid, with a brain.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

viper37

Pitch Perfect

Boring teenage comedy about guys&girls singing boring songs.  Totally predictable from the beginning, with elements borrowed from Dodgeball.  My choice was between this and the thing with the black dude helping the white handicapped man.  I'm still not sure if I picked the least bad of the two.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

FunkMonk

Quote from: viper37 on March 06, 2013, 02:42:05 PM
Pitch Perfect

Boring teenage comedy about guys&girls singing boring songs.  Totally predictable from the beginning, with elements borrowed from Dodgeball.  My choice was between this and the thing with the black dude helping the white handicapped man.  I'm still not sure if I picked the least bad of the two.

I was forced to watch Pitch Perfect a couple months ago. I feel for ya.  :hug:

I do have a bit of a thing for Anna Kendrick, the lead actress, though.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on March 06, 2013, 12:42:38 PM
Watched "Brave". It was fun, but Oscar material . . . ?

Props for using a (mostly) Scottish cast.

I found it quite bland for a Pixar movie, definitively sub par for them, but AFAIK technically it's great so maybe that's what animation oscars take into account.

The Larch

Quote from: viper37 on March 04, 2013, 01:41:52 PM
Anybody else watched the premiere of Vikings?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikings_%28TV_series%29

It follows the adventure of Ragnar Lodbrok.

It's really well done so far, I really like it.  The viking's portrayal seems accurate, the characters are well fleshed out.  I'll be watching the next episodes for sure :)

Just watched the first episode, pretty cool I must say.

11B4V

Finnished watching the entire BSG blue ray collection. On to season two GoT. Havent seen it yet.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 06, 2013, 12:55:11 AM
Viserys was everything Joffrey was without the excuses (being in an actual position of power for one )

I have a lot more sympathy for Viserys. He had been treated like shit and mocked all his life. The dothraki just put the knife in a bit further. Joffrey merely had an uninterested father.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: The Larch on March 07, 2013, 12:17:12 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 04, 2013, 01:41:52 PM
Anybody else watched the premiere of Vikings?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikings_%28TV_series%29

It follows the adventure of Ragnar Lodbrok.

It's really well done so far, I really like it.  The viking's portrayal seems accurate, the characters are well fleshed out.  I'll be watching the next episodes for sure :)

Just watched the first episode, pretty cool I must say.

Fuzzybritches was danish and almost certainly never saw a fjord, like he is depicted as living next to in ep. 1. It's good to see they made the Odin as Gandlari (father/inventor of magic) connection with Gandalf.

Edit: I like how the director probably kept telling the actors to speak like bjork all the time.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Quote from: Viking on March 07, 2013, 11:37:37 PM
Viserys was everything Joffrey was without the excuses (being in an actual position of power for one )

I have a lot more sympathy for Viserys. He had been treated like shit and mocked all his life. The dothraki just put the knife in a bit further. Joffrey merely had an uninterested father.
Viserys is still something of a monster though.  He's not as bad as Joffrey, but that's only from lack of opportunity to inflict his madness without fear of reprisal.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Neil on March 07, 2013, 11:55:19 PM
Quote from: Viking on March 07, 2013, 11:37:37 PM

Viserys is still something of a monster though.  He's not as bad as Joffrey, but that's only from lack of opportunity to inflict his madness without fear of reprisal.

Viserys isn't a monster, he's a weak man who finds himself in a station well below where he thinks he belongs. That makes him sensitive, insecure and fearful. He's constantly looking for ways to demonstrate that he should be treated better and he tries to do that by bullying others and reacting violently when the bullying doesn't work.

Joffrey is a monster, he's a weak man who is precisely in the station he thinks he belongs. That should make him confident generous and patient. It doesn't, he gets pleasure from hurting other people. He can humiliate and mock and he would get away with that easily, but he chooses to inflict pain.

Viserys' violence is like that of the mistreated dog that bits in panic while Joffrey's violence is that of Dexter torturing animals. Neither is sane I'll grant you that, but give me 100 dogs I can mistreat them and they all will bite, give me 100 boys and 99 of them will not torture animals no matter how I treat them, the last one probably won't torture animals either.

dps

Ideologue

Has anyone watched any of Breaking Bad's fifth season?  Is there really anywhere to go?  Season 4 had such closure.  And such bitchin' gore.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Quote from: Ideologue on March 08, 2013, 01:12:01 AM
Has anyone watched any of Breaking Bad's fifth season?  Is there really anywhere to go?  Season 4 had such closure.  And such bitchin' gore.
Its true, it does initially seem rather tacked on and pointless. But its still worth watching, pretty good cliff hanger, the sixth series will be interesting.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on March 08, 2013, 12:04:49 AM
Viserys isn't a monster, he's a weak man who finds himself in a station well below where he thinks he belongs. That makes him sensitive, insecure and fearful. He's constantly looking for ways to demonstrate that he should be treated better and he tries to do that by bullying others and reacting violently when the bullying doesn't work.

Viserys is too stupid and delusional to be realistic. Joffrey's life wasn't one that should typically lead him to self-reflect. Viserys' life was the opposite.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?