Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Neil on March 05, 2013, 09:12:54 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 05, 2013, 09:10:14 AM
:huh:

Cersei only backs Joffrey because he's her son, otherwise she wouldn't be able to stand him.
Joffrey is a male version of Cersei.  Vain, pointlessly cruel and unreasonably proud.
I kind of love the Cersei of the series, not the books. To use their symbol, she's like a lioness circling her cubs. Like a mirror to Catelyn - which is a counterpoint I think the series has developed very well.

QuoteAnd no, I don't think Kubrick could've done any better with Napoleon, considering his body of work either.
It depends his version of Napoleon. He can do vain, self-deluded character portraits very well. A heroic version, as Napoleon deserves, would as you say probably not work.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on March 05, 2013, 08:36:58 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 05, 2013, 08:25:20 PM
Quote from: Scipio on March 05, 2013, 07:08:22 PM
Quote from: Josephus on March 05, 2013, 03:57:48 PM
Quote from: KRonn on March 05, 2013, 10:34:34 AM
Cersei is smart, devious, cunning, qualities with Joffrey lacks, though maybe he could have developed those if he had lived longer.

Holy spoiler, batman
Sounds like vindication.  That kid should have been strangled in the womb.

Joffrey is the most annoying character in all the novels.  He seems to do evil stuff just 'cause.
This is different to a lot of teenage boys how? :p

He's not a Goth.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on March 05, 2013, 01:28:14 PM
Besides, for battle scale, nothing will ever rival Bondarchuk's War & Peace for which they used tens of thousands of Red Army soldiers in historical costume. Just not the same with CGI.

At least CGI troops can hit each other.  I was watching Gladiator closely the other night, and I swore I saw a guy in the middle of the Roman lines just standing there laughing with his extra buddies.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on March 05, 2013, 08:56:47 PM
Quote from: Syt on March 05, 2013, 01:28:14 PM
Besides, for battle scale, nothing will ever rival Bondarchuk's War & Peace for which they used tens of thousands of Red Army soldiers in historical costume. Just not the same with CGI.

At least CGI troops can hit each other.  I was watching Gladiator closely the other night, and I swore I saw a guy in the middle of the Roman lines just standing there laughing with his extra buddies.

He was confused by Ridley Scott and his overuse of the slo-mo.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

I got a little punch drunk myself.  Ridley Scott's use of slow motion is Nazi-esque.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

I stop watching Gladiator after the opening battle anyways. I want hot sweaty Legio action, not Joaquin Phoenix's weird eyeballs.

Viking

Quote from: KRonn on March 05, 2013, 10:34:34 AM
Cersei is smart, devious, cunning, qualities with Joffrey lacks, though maybe he could have developed those if he had lived longer.

man, you need to read the rest of the books....
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on March 05, 2013, 08:44:01 PM
He's not a Goth.
:unsure:
Goths are nice, they're amongst the "least likely to do evil stuff" kids.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 05, 2013, 09:39:11 PM
I stop watching Gladiator after the opening battle anyways. I want hot sweaty Legio action, not Joaquin Phoenix's weird eyeballs.

Watched The Master Saturday.  That movie fucking sucks.  I'm starting to turn against Paul Thomas Anderson, at least his "random bullshit happens in a historical period" movies.
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on March 05, 2013, 10:02:32 PM
He's not a Goth.
Goths are nice, they're amongst the least likely to do evil stuff kids.

Yeah, it's true they are the least likely to do evil stuff, but then they are kinda poseurs.  They just want to give the impression of evil.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 05, 2013, 08:13:12 PM
Jack the Giant Slayer.

Okay to pass the time.
Hod, I hope so.  I'm getting stuck paying for the 3d version tomorrow to appease a friend for their birthday. :glare:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Eddie Teach

Viserys was everything Joffrey was without the excuses (being in an actual position of power for one )
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on March 05, 2013, 10:15:37 PM
He's not a Goth.

Yeah, it's true they are the least likely to do evil stuff, but then they are kinda poseurs.  They just want to give the impression of evil.

Plus, they sacked Rome.

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 06, 2013, 08:28:25 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 05, 2013, 10:15:37 PM
He's not a Goth.

Plus, they sacked Rome.

That's on the list of positives.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Watched "Brave". It was fun, but Oscar material . . . ?

Props for using a (mostly) Scottish cast.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.