And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on January 14, 2013, 08:21:39 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 13, 2013, 04:38:39 AM
So, in my search for other shows to follow, I stumbled upon Shameless (US). The pilot was cool. Views from anyone who has seen both seasons?
Its brilliant. Perhaps even better than the UK one. Has a much more serious and gritty tone. But then my memory of the British one might be tarred by it being long past its prime but refusing to go away.

I'm really loving it. Probably not going to try the UK version as I don't like to start watching shows that are already so long into making.

Lip is one of my most favorite characters on tv, probably.  :lol:

mongers

So was 'Flightplan' with Jodie Foster any good ?

As the story seems rather familiar, but for the life of mean I can recall if I've seen it.   :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

I kinda liked it.  For a while you couldn't tell if somebody was fucking with her, or she was just bonkers.

CountDeMoney

If anybody has AXStv, "Dan Rather Reports" did an excellent job on a piece on Iron Dome tonight.  Comes back on later this evening.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 15, 2013, 09:38:03 PM
I kinda liked it.  For a while you couldn't tell if somebody was fucking with her, or she was just bonkers.

I'll give it a go.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

It's a neat little thriller.  Sean Bean as your airline captain.  Very cool.

Josquius

Django Unchained- One of my first thoughts when watching it was "wait....this German guy is the same character as that SS guy on IB. Lazy Tarantino, lazy."W Only quite some way in did I realise it was actually the same actor :blush:
Pretty good if somewhat over long.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Yep, no El Cid BD in Region A except in Japan.  Because there's nothing the Japanese love more than a three-hour, American Golden Age cinematic epic about political infighting and shifting alliances in 11th century Spain.  Right?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on January 15, 2013, 02:55:50 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 14, 2013, 08:21:39 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 13, 2013, 04:38:39 AM
So, in my search for other shows to follow, I stumbled upon Shameless (US). The pilot was cool. Views from anyone who has seen both seasons?
Its brilliant. Perhaps even better than the UK one. Has a much more serious and gritty tone. But then my memory of the British one might be tarred by it being long past its prime but refusing to go away.

I'm really loving it. Probably not going to try the UK version as I don't like to start watching shows that are already so long into making.

Lip is one of my most favorite characters on tv, probably.  :lol:
Though if you were to watch the UK one I'd only recommend watching the first few series anyway.
Though doing so might mess things up for your enjoyment of the American one as a lot of the same basic plotlines are being used.
You should probally watch the first series of the British one after you finish the American one just for the interesting comparison.

Lip is cool but a wee bit mary sueish.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on January 17, 2013, 11:10:47 PM
[Though if you were to watch the UK one I'd only recommend watching the first few series anyway.
Though doing so might mess things up for your enjoyment of the American one as a lot of the same basic plotlines are being used.
You should probally watch the first series of the British one after you finish the American one just for the interesting comparison.

Lip is cool but a wee bit mary sueish.

Incidentally, I don't know if the Shameless US creators plan for Ian to go bisexual at some point (like they did in the UK version, I understand) but so far (being in the middle of the second season), I gotta say that Shameless US offers probably the most accurate and realistic depiction of the average lifestyle of gay teens/young people on TV I have seen to date.

Everything else I have seen on TV is either too sanitized or too much of a vicarious fantasy.

Agelastus

Quote from: Ideologue on January 17, 2013, 08:46:31 PM
Yep, no El Cid BD in Region A except in Japan.  Because there's nothing the Japanese love more than a three-hour, American Golden Age cinematic epic about political infighting and shifting alliances in 11th century Spain.  Right?

To be honest they can probably relate to it better than modern day Europeans can; it's been less than two centuries since the fall of the Shogunate and all its' political infighting and shifting alliances and Samurai ("warriors"/"knights") after all.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

lustindarkness

Bullitt, 1968. As awesome as ever. Love the silence with perfect background noise. Just enough dialog, not too much like so many new movies. Yes, I admit to rewind the car chase and watch that part twice.

Steve McQueen = cool.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

Duck Dynasty.

I can't stand reality shows.  I've never watched a minute of a single one.  Until this week, when I was stuck in a Sacramento hotel room with nothing to read for two days.

Duck Dynasty is about this ZZ Top looking family in Monroe Louisiana that apparently has made some money at some point , as the two sons now live in McMansions.

I understand these reality shows are scripted, but some of the lines and the way they were delivered had me laughing out loud at points.

Josephus

I've had the final Stargate movie (Continuum) sitting around on DVD for years but never mustered teh courage to watch it, cause I got bored with the final few seasons and the first made-for-DVD movie, Ark of Truth.  But, I caved last night, and Continuum ended up being the best thing they ever did.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2013, 12:38:41 AM
I can't stand reality shows.  I've never watched a minute of a single one.  Until this week, when I was stuck in a Sacramento hotel room with nothing to read for two days.
You've missed out on the last decade :(

The Wrong Arm of the Law. Early Peter Sellers post-war comedy. Pretty good.
Let's bomb Russia!