News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Started watching Iron Sky. Not sure if it is supposed to be a comedy, some sort of satire, or what. I don't think the producers knew either.
PDH!

Grey Fox

man, was that a fucking disappointment.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Darth Wagtaros

Yeah, I turned it off. Avoid Iron Sky.
PDH!

Scipio

Rewatching Spielberg's Tintin.

I love this movie.  I can't believe people were so down on it.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ideologue

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 20, 2013, 11:10:07 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 14, 2013, 01:58:45 AM

El Cid, the other Heston epic I grew up on, is meanwhile only available on Region B (or, perhaps, for exorbitant price, on Region A secondhand).  That's pretty lame.

Amazon has the DVD in stock.  -_-

I only buy DVDs on the super-cheap (e.g., my $3 copies of Unforgiven and Heat).

Though with this new TV, my claims of being a snob about such things may be harder to justify, since it's noticeably worse than my old one, especially in what is either wear and tear or serious design defects where the backlight shines through, making some patches a dark gray when the screen is black.  Guess you get what you pay for. :sadblush:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Duque de Bragança

Watching Iron Sky in Germany was fun, specially in Frankfurt  :secret: but yeah, it could have been better by being crazier.
I love the Laibach cover of Die Wach am Rhein in the movie, more like a 2.0 version actually.

Kleves

QuoteProduct placement is nothing new in movies, but one Chinese firm -- electronics manufacturer TCL -- is reportedly going all out with for Iron Man 3.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, TCL has "announced that its televisions, cloud technology and mobile phones will be conspicuously employed by Tony Stark, Robert Downey Jr.'s billionaire superhero, in Disney-Marvel's upcoming Iron Man 3, which is set for release on May 3 in North America, China and other select territories."

TCL also recently acquired the right to rename the Hollywood landmark Grauman's Chinese Theatre to the TCL Chinese Theatre.

Iron Man 3 is a Chinese co-production Disney-Marvel and the Chinese outlet DMG.
:bleeding:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

derspiess

Quote from: Scipio on January 20, 2013, 10:52:18 PM
Rewatching Spielberg's Tintin.

I love this movie.  I can't believe people were so down on it.

Even my wife was a bit disappointed in it, and she's a raging Tintin fan.  She wouldn't admit it at first, though, she never does.  Of course, any time she hears the dog referred to as "Snowie" she goes into a violent rage.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Funny, shouldn't it be Stark Industries' televisions, cloud technology and mobile phones that are conspicuously employed by Tony Stark?

QuoteIron Man 3 is a Chinese co-production Disney-Marvel and the Chinese outlet DMG.

You know, I don't actually have much problem with product placement in movies.  Done well, it lowers the cost of making movies by displaying objects that the characters would in fact have purchased, in a non-obtrusive; e.g., is there anyone who really noticed in The Matrix Reloaded that every car on the freeway other than the trucks was a GM vehicle?  And all things being equal I'd rather see a Pepsi than a red white and blue can with no logo, because the latter is far more distracting.

So, by all means, TCL, pay Disney to depict your crap.  Even though that could be a big artistic misstep, it wouldn't necessarily have to be.

But these co-production deals are a lot more worrying.  Besides my protectionist bent and the fact that movies are about the last Goddamned thing we make in this country, we've already seen one movie cut to pieces over PRChinese objections.  Their direct involvement only makes the prospect of censorship more likely.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on January 21, 2013, 12:25:43 PM
You know, I don't actually have much problem with product placement in movies.  Done well, it lowers the cost of making movies by displaying objects that the characters would in fact have purchased, in a non-obtrusive; e.g., is there anyone who really noticed in The Matrix Reloaded that every car on the freeway other than the trucks was a GM vehicle?  And all things being equal I'd rather see a Pepsi than a red white and blue can with no logo, because the latter is far more distracting.

I dunno though - it's one of those things that once you notice it, you can't help but keep noticing it.  I had that problem in Transformers - okay sure the Bumblebee Camaro is a GM product placement, but then you realize that every other vehicle in the whole movie are also GM vehicles.

For a company that does a ton of product placements, Apple does not a bad job at it keeping it fairly unobtrusive.  I mean there are far more tv and movie characters using Mac Books and iMacs than their market share might otherwise warrant, but they don't make too big a deal about it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

I notice, Ide, I notice. It doesn't bother me but I'm the kind of person who notices that.

Co-Production with Chinese companies happens because China is the last place where movies are actually making money. It seems a good way to avoid censorship

Ideologue

I'm pretty sure movies make money in the United States.  They've taken a hit, but the industry is, I believe, still substantially profitable.
Kinemalogue

Grey Fox

Quote from: Ideologue on January 21, 2013, 12:52:17 PM
I'm pretty sure movies make money in the United States.  They've taken a hit, but the industry is, I believe, still substantially profitable.

We could look at numbers but we can't trust those but there's still lines at the movies in China. Is there any on your closest 25$ a movie megaplex?

Ideologue

It doesn't cost $25 to see a movie in America. :lol:
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on January 21, 2013, 12:52:17 PM

They're not making money off you, buying counterfeit DVDs of movies off the corner, recorded by a brother with a camcorder.