Grey Fox

Quote from: Ideologue on January 21, 2013, 01:02:19 PM
It doesn't cost $25 to see a movie in America. :lol:

Not when you want to die of thi(u)rst
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 21, 2013, 01:04:51 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 21, 2013, 12:52:17 PM
I'm pretty sure movies make money in the United States.  They've taken a hit, but the industry is, I believe, still substantially profitable.

They're not making money off you, buying counterfeit DVDs of movies off the corner, recorded by a brother with a camcorder.

That's creative. :lol:  I wish that was all I'd spent on my movie collection.

Quote from: FoxNot when you want to die of thi(u)rst

Even with a soda, it's like $15, and I don't ordinarily buy sodas during a movie.  I'm sure they've had people count these beans, but I really do have wonder if the theaters would actually bring in more money if they didn't sell cokes at a 2000% markup, and instead went for the more customary 800-1000%.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grey Fox

I read an article once about how the problem with movie concessions prices is the megaplexes. While the price of entry is mostly tied to the price the movie distributor are charging, the concessions prices are tied to upkeep of the buildings.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on January 21, 2013, 12:32:33 PM
For a company that does a ton of product placements, Apple does not a bad job at it keeping it fairly unobtrusive.  I mean there are far more tv and movie characters using Mac Books and iMacs than their market share might otherwise warrant, but they don't make too big a deal about it.

Disagree.  Lots of posed, artificial shots with camera focus on the logo.

Tonitrus

Well, honestly know, there is a pretty fair chance that Hollywood is full hipsters and wannabes who would be using Macs anyway.

Hell, I've seen a few shows with obvious Macs but having the logo obscured/altered.

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 21, 2013, 02:54:14 PM
Well, honestly know, there is a pretty fair chance that Hollywood is full hipsters and wannabes who would be using Macs anyway.

Hell, I've seen a few shows with obvious Macs but having the logo obscured/altered.

I've seen a few of those as well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 21, 2013, 02:54:14 PM

That's not really the target audience for product placement.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 21, 2013, 01:08:56 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 21, 2013, 01:02:19 PM
It doesn't cost $25 to see a movie in America. :lol:

Not when you want to die of thi(u)rst

Smuggle the sodas in. You got a chick. Her purse is great for that.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

I dunno though - it's one of those things that once you notice it, you can't help but keep noticing it.  I had that problem in Transformers - okay sure the Bumblebee Camaro is a GM product placement, but then you realize that every other vehicle in the whole movie are also GM vehicles.
It was so hard to notice with that GM commercial in a back alley ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 21, 2013, 02:45:27 PM
For a company that does a ton of product placements, Apple does not a bad job at it keeping it fairly unobtrusive.  I mean there are far more tv and movie characters using Mac Books and iMacs than their market share might otherwise warrant, but they don't make too big a deal about it.

Disagree.  Lots of posed, artificial shots with camera focus on the logo.

Yeah; I think in the case of the Law & Order franchise, the only thing more prevalent than poorly written political zingers aimed at the right wing is Apple placement.

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on January 21, 2013, 01:13:35 PM
Even with a soda, it's like $15, and I don't ordinarily buy sodas during a movie.  I'm sure they've had people count these beans, but I really do have wonder if the theaters would actually bring in more money if they didn't sell cokes at a 2000% markup, and instead went for the more customary 800-1000%.
25$ is those new theaters selling beers and delivering your order to your seat.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

I've been home for a long weekend. Watched a lot of Poirot :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 21, 2013, 03:28:05 PM
I've been home for a long weekend. Watched a lot of Poirot :blush:

Which one?  Dave Suchet?

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Back to product placements....because I drive  Chevrolet, I always notice them in TV shows. Everyone in Homeland drives a Chevrolet.  Either the Impala or the Malibu and the one marine (the main marine's friend...I'm hopeless with names) drove a Camaro.....also notice the Tim Horton's coffee in homeland? I guess they expanded out to D.C.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011