News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I just watched The Adventures of Robin Hood.  Still the best Robin Hood Film.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

Quote from: Ideologue on November 20, 2012, 11:21:24 PM
Got the Tarantino XX collection yesterday.  Watched Reservoir Dogs, it was pretty good. :)

I actually think Resevoir Dogs is his best. The dialogue is second to none. Pulp Fiction was more of a success, but-- and we've alreay talked about it--the Bruce Willis scene slows the movie down.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Crazy, Stupid, Love. Steve Carell just isn't funny. Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling are though, and the story is cute, if a little short on laughs for a comedy.

5/10
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

So Seeds, can you add Liep to your list?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Also watched the Headhunters (Hodejegerne) earlier this week. Norwegian goodness.

Once you're done laughing at how they pronounce the name Roger it's a very exciting thriller, with good acting except for Julie Ølgaard, but she has never been convincing in anything. Coster-Waldau is very menacing.

7/10
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: garbon on November 21, 2012, 03:57:48 PM
Okay, I see what you mean. Goslings laughs were, perhaps, too cheap. 4/10.

garbon

Quote from: Liep on November 21, 2012, 04:07:51 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 21, 2012, 03:57:48 PM
Okay, I see what you mean. Goslings laughs were, perhaps, too cheap. 4/10.

Your reviews lately (well this and the dark night one) have just reminded me a lot of the vibe I got from this Vancouver Sun reviewer on the latest Rihanna album.  Not that its likely a stellar piece of music, but the review and rating can't but make me feel that the reviewer shouldn't really review types of albums that they don't like.

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/Album+reviews+Rihanna+Unapologetic+Rock+returns+Zeppelin+celebrates/7578887/story.html
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: garbon on November 21, 2012, 04:20:01 PM
Your reviews lately (well this and the dark night one) have just reminded me a lot of the vibe I got from this Vancouver Sun reviewer on the latest Rihanna album.  Not that its likely a stellar piece of music, but the review and rating can't but make me feel that the reviewer shouldn't really review types of albums that they don't like.

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/Album+reviews+Rihanna+Unapologetic+Rock+returns+Zeppelin+celebrates/7578887/story.html
Difference is he were told to review that album knowing he'd hate it. I watched the Batman movie expecting to like it and was following disappointed when it didn't live up to that expectation.

Granted, I knew I probably wasn't going to like Crazy, Stupid, Love. just from its title, but I was bored and it was on Netflix.

Ideologue

Quote from: Josephus on November 21, 2012, 09:23:30 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 20, 2012, 11:21:24 PM
Got the Tarantino XX collection yesterday.  Watched Reservoir Dogs, it was pretty good. :)

I actually think Resevoir Dogs is his best. The dialogue is second to none. Pulp Fiction was more of a success, but-- and we've alreay talked about it--the Bruce Willis scene slows the movie down.

Butch and Marcellus' story is very complementary to the redemptive theme of the film, and it's got some of the best and most iconic moments of the movie (Christopher Walken talking about his ass; Ving Rhames getting fucked in the ass).

If I had to pick a favorite, I reckon it would be Kill Bill, from a pure entertainment standpoint.

Contrary to many, I have a lot of problems with Inglorious Basterds even if I still think it's excellent and maybe even great, and it's my least or second least favorite of the ones I've seen.  1)That one scene where the Nazi sharpshooter just ups and attempted rapes Shoshanna is bullshit and undermines everything the movie was saying right there (or at least what I heard it saying). 2)The overall tone of the film is one of having its cake and eating it too, in regards to how we view bloody revenge movies, but I still don't know if this is a flaw or a feature.

Never seen Death Proof, which I'm gonna see tonight.  I've heard it sucks but I really can't imagine how.  Kurt fucking Russell don't show up in movies that suck.

P.S.: I still think it sucks that Four Rooms isn't in the set.  He directed 1/4 of it, didn't he?  Yes he did.  And that movie is 3/4 awesome, and the parts that aren't awesome at least have some tit in them.
P.P.S.: I know Jackie Brown exists.  I haven't seen it in years.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

That was my impression when I saw it in the theater.  Maybe the second part is all chocolate cake and handjobs, but I wouldn't know.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Any movie with close ups of Uma Thurman's feet is awful.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 21, 2012, 09:03:47 PM
Any movie with close ups of Uma Thurman's feet is awful.

Amen, bro.  She could hang from trees with those things.

Josephus

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 21, 2012, 07:35:40 PM
Kill bill sucks.

Yeah, when a movie ends up so long you have to release it in two parts, you know you got an issue with editing. I found this the least likeable of all Tarantino flicks. And I love Uma, feet and all.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011