TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 31, 2012, 05:38:36 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2012, 09:16:26 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 30, 2012, 08:38:36 PM
Sounds good, I shall have to catch it.

One of my favourite childhood programmes of the early 1970s was 'Le Chevalier Tempête'.  :)

Tom Hanks is in the American remake, The Man With One Red Shoe, back when he did comedy in his post-Bosom Buddies era.  It's not bad.  Some big names in it.
Jim Belushi is actually pretty fucking funny in it, as his paranoid buddy who keeps tripping over the bodies.

Now, this Chevalier tempête is too old for my generations (French '60s show) and did not have re-run in the '80s like Le Grand Blond which is probably why I never heard of it. Would it be more popular in the UK than in France? ;)

As for the US remake of a French movie (True Lies notwithstanding), even if it's better than say a prequel such as Episode I, I'll pass...

Hear you go, as it appeared on UK tv:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-ZEDNkZ2L4

At least it was something historical and in those pre-PC kids TV days, had lots of fighting and military stuff.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

How to Steal a Million- Audrey Hepburn and Peter O'Toole steal her father's sculpture to keep him from being exposed as a forger. It was entertaining.

Haywire- Female superspy kicks butt and takes down the guys who tried to burn her. Also entertaining. Dunno if this was mentioned before, but Antonio Banderas + beard = Saddam Hussein.  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

The Great Pumpkin. Always good.

PDH!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

May go check out the Tarantino movie tomorrow.  I wonder how many close-up foot shots he'll have in this one.  They're Asian chicks, so they should be small.

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 01, 2012, 10:11:48 PM
May go check out the Tarantino movie tomorrow.  I wonder how many close-up foot shots he'll have in this one.  They're Asian chicks, so they should be small.

That's not a Tarantino film, it's an Eli Roth film.  :bleeding:

Tarantino's is Django Unchained, which comes out in December.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Yeah, Roth only had a hand in writing it.  Reason enough to avoid in my mind.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Viking

I'm starting to like Arrow quite a bit. He's always been the liberal hero of the 99% and has the green tights to prove it. The character itself seems to be well suited to the times and since he isn't batman the show can take some liberties. I think it is reasonably well written since every episode has a structure: villain of the week: flashback to island: revelation of a bit of the big conspiracy: future hints (speedy/merlyn/black canary). If the writing stays disciplined this can really be worth while.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

FunkMonk

Watched Ralph Fiennes' Coriolanus on Netflix Instant Watch.

Out-fucking-standing. :o :o
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Brain

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 02, 2012, 05:40:32 PM
Watched Ralph Fiennes' Coriolanus on Netflix Instant Watch.

Out-fucking-standing. :o :o

lol
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Viking on November 02, 2012, 04:29:31 PM
I'm starting to like Arrow quite a bit. He's always been the liberal hero of the 99% and has the green tights to prove it. The character itself seems to be well suited to the times and since he isn't batman the show can take some liberties. I think it is reasonably well written since every episode has a structure: villain of the week: flashback to island: revelation of a bit of the big conspiracy: future hints (speedy/merlyn/black canary). If the writing stays disciplined this can really be worth while.
What channel is that on?  I might give it a watch.  For myself, I've been watching episodes of Cadfael on Netflix ondemand.  Not a bad show at all.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Octavian

Who framed Roger Rabbit on Netflix... haven't seen it in ages. Still great. 9/10
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee