And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

50 years ago today U-2 planes discovered Soviet missiles on Cuba and the Cuban Missile Crisis began.

SF Debris chose the anniversary to review The Day After. It's been, oh, 25 or so years since I first saw it on German tv, but it's still one serious downer of a movie for me. The same year we read at school The Last Children of Schewenborn about the post-nuclear aftermath in a small village in Germany, not to mention that Chernobyl had blown up a year or so before.

The town I grew up in had a storage of of nuclear artillery grenades, guarded by an American detachment. At the time, it was not so much a question whether or not there would be a nuclear war, but rather when - combined with a big likelihood that we had a big bulls-eye painted onto our heads, which was oddly comforting.

Of course the movie Threads is rather worse than TDA.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

I always liked Panic in Year Zero for my nuclear war movie needs.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Liep

Season 3 of the Killing is really, really good.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Liep on October 14, 2012, 02:57:57 PM

Seemed they had everything tied together so nicely at end of 2 though.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 14, 2012, 03:03:05 PM
Quote from: Liep on October 14, 2012, 02:57:57 PM

Seemed they had everything tied together so nicely at end of 2 though.  :hmm:

He's talking about the Euro version.  Ours is over.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on October 14, 2012, 10:50:13 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 14, 2012, 09:10:30 AM
Final Verdict:  Prometheustupid.  On so many levels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0

I asked the exact same questions this morning, and the only brain I melted was my own.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 14, 2012, 03:07:39 PM
He's talking about the Euro version.  Ours is over.

Figured as much. Sigh.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on October 14, 2012, 12:16:23 PM
50 years ago today U-2 planes discovered Soviet missiles on Cuba and the Cuban Missile Crisis began.

SF Debris chose the anniversary to review The Day After. It's been, oh, 25 or so years since I first saw it on German tv, but it's still one serious downer of a movie for me.

How come most stories that involve an element of nuclear war either take place during and immediately afterwards, like The Day After, or so distant from the event that the choice of nuclear war as the disaster that devastated humanity is incidental and chosen only for its pathos as a self-inflicted wound?  I'm at a loss to think of many stories that occur in the mid-term aftermath.  I'm also at a loss to think of a single one that mentions "Brazil" or "Indonesia."  Albeit a few, mostly Mad Max movies, that mention Australia, which rapidly collapses into total anarchy following a nuclear exchange in the northern hemisphere for reasons.  Other than Mad Max, the only stories that occur to me involving nuclear war that take place in the rebuilding period are V For Vendetta, which barring the cartoonish features of the British government established early on in its serialization and impossible to shake off later, feels basically plausible, and arguably Ghost in the Shell, which I say barely counts because 1)iirc you never see what the involved countries look like and 2)it uses magic nanotechnology to deal with the issue of fallout, and honestly I dunno if I've ever seen a story that needed a nuclear war in its backstory less than GitS.

Edit: oh, and I guess there's Star Trek: First Contact, where a guy builds a fucking spaceship with about a dozen assistants in his back yard, so I'm not counting it as a serious meditation on the effects of nuclear war.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Why would anyone mention Brazil or Indonesia?  Civilization is built around the northern hemisphere.  If something happened to us, any southerners who survived the aftereffects would go back to cannibalism in the jungle.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HVC

Guess Rick doesn't like peaches.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Count

The Thick Of It, a fantastic British satire about politics, is back and it is spectacular. Also check out the related film, In The Loop.
I am CountDeMoney's inner child, who appears mysteriously every few years

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son