News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I liked Rob Roy too.  Sometimes whatshername's accent was a little wobbly but that's the only down side.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 09, 2012, 07:01:04 PM
Saw Rob Roy the other day and I thought it was terrific. I never hear much about it but it really was excellent. Liam Neeson was Liam Neeson, Jessica Lange stole every scene she was in and Tim Roth was absolutely incredible. The sword fight at the end was fantastic. :o

Basically what I'm saying is Rob Roy fucking owned.

You never saw it before?  Weeeak.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2012, 07:02:26 PM
I liked Rob Roy too.  Sometimes whatshername's accent was a little wobbly but that's the only down side.

Tim Roth's sadistic dandy is definitely one of the coolest movie villains ever, though.

FunkMonk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 09, 2012, 07:28:54 PM
Saw Rob Roy the other day and I thought it was terrific. I never hear much about it but it really was excellent. Liam Neeson was Liam Neeson, Jessica Lange stole every scene she was in and Tim Roth was absolutely incredible. The sword fight at the end was fantastic. :o

You never saw it before?  Weeeak.

Yeah I know. It was of those movies that I'd been meaning to see for years, just never got around to it.  :(

FunkMonk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 09, 2012, 07:30:58 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2012, 07:02:26 PM

Tim Roth's sadistic dandy is definitely one of the coolest movie villains ever, though.

I agree. He was my favorite character in the movie. I thought the portrait of his mother was a nice touch.

Eddie Teach

Cabin in the Woods. Awesome. Especially loved the speakerphone bit.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

To Kill A King.

Rupert Everett is superb as Charles I.  In many ways it's his ideal role and he manages to bring the necessary pathos.  Tim Roth's Cromwell has his moments.  The film looks wonderful.

But Dougray Scott is weak as Thomas Fairfax.  Fairfax tries to assassinate Cromwell - I don't normally mind historical inaccuracy in service of a good film.  This is pushing it.  The film also never really gets past the idea of horrible Puritans led by Cromwell and noble, Cavalier Fairfax as something of a cuckoo which is a real shame because there's more of interest going on.  The politics of post-civil war England's more interesting and conniving.  The figures of Cromwell and Fairfax deserve more nuanced characterisations. 

As an aside I'd love to see a Bright Star-ish film just about Fairfax's retreat to Appletown House with Andrew Marvell as his daughter's tutor.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Two shows:

1: Undercover Princes- One of those rarities, a decent reality TV show. But then its an American version of a nice cheap and cheerful BBC show. It makes some horrible Americanisms (i.e. COMING UP: then it spoils whats coming up, before every advert break...) but it really is rather amusing. About a group of 'princes' (lowly lords mostly) having to live like normal people, look for love, yadda yadda. Interesting dynamic in that they've got two attractive guys who know what they're doing with girls and then two sheltered losers who haven't a clue. I really find myself cheering for the two losers and hoping something bad happens to the model guy. But somehow I doubt that's where this show is going...

2: Ugly Americans- US adult cartoon series. Really rather good, had never heard of it before and stumbled on it in a random youtube browse. About a guy working as a social worker in a New York full of daemons and monsters and all that sort of thing. Strikes me as sort of Futurama meets Bob's Burgers.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

I was disapointed by the movie when I first seen it.  I liked the Disney movies about Rob Roy, fighting against the British.  Now, it's just some silly theft by a Scottish noble.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

The Avengers. Best movie I've seen since last night.  :D

But really, it was lots of fun.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

The actor Turhan Bey (born as son of a Turkish diplomat and a Jewish Czech in Vienna) has died, aged 90, in Vienna. He appeared in a number of Hollywood movies in the 40s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turhan_Bey

The board geeks may remember him as Emperor Turhan in Babylon 5:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

New always sunny... is on tonight. Episode title? Pop Pop,the final solution.

:)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

I like It's Always Sunny.

Watched 30 Rock. Was good this week.

Wheel of Fortune has changed a lot in the years since I last saw it.  I don't like change.

PDH!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 11, 2012, 06:43:53 PM
New always sunny... is on tonight. Episode title? Pop Pop,the final solution.

:)

I enjoyed the episode very much.  The summer camp home movie was hilarious.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive