News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWinkDjwvzM

"You may wonder why I want to obliterate Superman.
In order to rule the world.
You may wonder why I want to rule the world.
In order to obliterate Sweden."

:lol: :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Josephus on October 05, 2012, 03:27:24 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 05, 2012, 01:22:40 PM
As I continue to watch the X-files a thought occurs to me.  Perhaps the secret government conspiracy dedicated to hiding evidence of Aliens would be more effective if didn't hide their stuff in abandoned mines, abandoned missile silos, train cars connected to passenger trains, or old leper colonies.  I don't know, maybe if they hid alien spacecraft and alien bodies on say a military base they wouldn't have Mulder keep breaking in armed only with a drill or some bolt cutters.  Or go with the silo idea, but actually put guards around it.  That might work too.

aaah....but part of the conspiracy theory is that they WANT Mulder to dig this stuff up.

Presumably they don't want some teenagers looking for a place to drink their beer and listen to loud music to break in and find all the aliens.  If that's the security that "black agencies" have, god only knows what kind of security that well know organizations with secrets have.  The CIA probably keeps it's file cabinets outside next to the dumpster with the sign warning "TOP SECRET.  DO NOT STEAL".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

Thing is Raz, two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead. If you're keeping something on a military base with a large guard, you increase the number of people who know about it substantially. And even the people who don't know about it know that there's *something* there. OTOH, find some out of the way place underground and it may not be discovered until the Indiana Jones of the 30th century stumbles on it.

I don't actually think the government could successfully hide an alien spaceship for 60 years using either method, so the whole conspiracy theory is pretty silly anyway.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

I'm so sick of these recent horror movie commercials the last few years.  Wish they'd stop playing Sinister.  Freaks me the fuck out.

Josephus

I vaguely remember something about how they would let Mulder come close to the truth sometimes, to sate his inquisitive impulse, show him enough, but not all, and then cover up what he's found. [torch the aliens in the train, etc].

Thing with the X-files, and it's been almost 20 years now since , is that much as I loved the mythology episodes, you do get the feeling Carter was making a lot of it up as he went along.

In other words, trying to find logic behind the conspiracy tale would be difficult.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 05, 2012, 05:14:38 PM
I'm so sick of these recent horror movie commercials the last few years.  Wish they'd stop playing Sinister.  Freaks me the fuck out.
oh grow a pair nancy boy.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on October 05, 2012, 05:35:20 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 05, 2012, 05:14:38 PM
oh grow a pair nancy boy.

I should've known it was the same punk that did Insidious.

Eddie Teach

The concept for Human Centipede is way freakier than either the Insidious or Sinister trailers.

Josquius

Gung Ho-  Thoroughly mediocre. One or two funny moments but generally it seems like made for TV rubbish. Maybe its that its outdated that spoils it? Also I've never got the whole glorification of the American working class as the underdog thing...the US is anything but the underdog
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tyr on October 05, 2012, 07:38:22 PM
Gung Ho-  Thoroughly mediocre. One or two funny moments but generally it seems like made for TV rubbish. Maybe its that its outdated that spoils it? Also I've never got the whole glorification of the American working class as the underdog thing...the US is anything but the underdog

:mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8Q1fDf0GeY

Ed Anger

Why am I not surprised he didn't get it?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on October 05, 2012, 07:38:22 PM
Also I've never got the whole glorification of the American working class as the underdog thing...the US is anything but the underdog

This calls for a special smilie with Josq's face on it.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 05, 2012, 04:32:43 PM
Thing is Raz, two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead. If you're keeping something on a military base with a large guard, you increase the number of people who know about it substantially. And even the people who don't know about it know that there's *something* there. OTOH, find some out of the way place underground and it may not be discovered until the Indiana Jones of the 30th century stumbles on it.

I don't actually think the government could successfully hide an alien spaceship for 60 years using either method, so the whole conspiracy theory is pretty silly anyway.

They kept some secrets for quite a while during the Cold War.  The US was tapping an underwater cable used by the Soviet fleet, and the US public didn't learn about it till after the cold war (the Russians caught on a little quicker thanks to a defector).  So it's not impossible to keep a secret.  I do agree that the UFO conspiracy thing is silly, but they should at least make an effort to be high security.

"What do we do with all those aliens we captured"
"Eh, just let them run around in that old bauxite mine"
"Won't they get away?"
"No, we put a lock on the door".
"What if someone find the mine and tries to get in?"
"We'll put a 'do not enter sign' up.  Besides, if someone does get in and sees the aliens and all the file cabinets (which apparently were being kept up to date despite the lack of any clerical staff.  Maybe that's what the aliens running around the mine were there for.  Office work.), we'll show up in nondescript uniforms and guns and and ineffectually threaten them."