And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 25, 2012, 04:50:04 AM
Willow gets an A anyway.
Willow gets an A.  Mission to Mars gets an axe in the back of its head.
PDH!

Liep

Yep, Jose, there's a lot of strange things going on, eg. [spoiler]why would a guy who had managed to keep a gun for 15 years be so reckless and shoot a deer close to his home and then hang it with gunshot wound and all right in the front? People breaking the necks of 5 year old girls to get food after a day?[/spoiler]

I'll probably watch the next episode too though.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ideologue

Quote from: Tamas on September 25, 2012, 04:41:04 AM
Quote from: katmai on September 25, 2012, 03:56:41 AM
Mission to Mars an A?

Lay off the drugs Ide.

Val Kilmer automatically decreases it a grade, for starters.

Val Kilmer isn't in Mission to Mars.  You're thinking of Tombstone.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on September 25, 2012, 03:44:20 AM
Mission to Mars (1996).  It's our good fortune to find this great de Palma film on the YouTube.  For the beautiful shots (including one of my all time favorites, the quasi-famous tracking shot in the artificial gravity ring of the Mars rescue ship) and almost entirely well-done sequences, not to mention the wonderful characters and the performances that give them life, I'd give the movie an A+.  But then there's the part where they indicate that aliens seeded life on Earth--and that humans are the deliberate result of their endeavor.  I suppose I could rationalize that and pretend the intent was that they seeded life, hoped for something intelligent to arise, and kept tabs on it from Mars when it did, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't, and I'm just fucking sick of this scientifically retarded trope.  Still, if you were trapped in a room and had to watch either this or Prometheus to get out, at least this movie has a good story to go along with its unsupported hypotheses and brilliant compositions. A

Ouch! :pinch:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

I give Ideologue's movie review education in law school a splat.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on September 25, 2012, 08:43:21 AM
No thoughts on Revolution ep.2.?
missed it.  gonna record it on Saturday.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on September 25, 2012, 11:36:31 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 25, 2012, 04:41:04 AM
Quote from: katmai on September 25, 2012, 03:56:41 AM
Mission to Mars an A?

Lay off the drugs Ide.

Val Kilmer automatically decreases it a grade, for starters.

Val Kilmer isn't in Mission to Mars.  You're thinking of Tombstone.

Actually, he's thinking of Red Planet.  That was the bad 2000 SF flick about Mars with Val Kilmer.  Mission to Mars was the bad 2000 SF flick about Mars with Gary Sinise.

There's probably a 3rd bad 2000 SF about Mars that no one's heard of that stars Greg Evigan or somebody like that.

viper37

Quote from: dps on September 25, 2012, 12:54:47 PM
There's probably a 3rd bad 2000 SF about Mars that no one's heard of that stars Greg Evigan or somebody like that.
Ghost of Mars ;)  (but no Greg Evigan (I don't even know who that is)).

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

dps

Quote from: viper37 on September 25, 2012, 02:09:10 PM
Quote from: dps on September 25, 2012, 12:54:47 PM
Ghost of Mars ;)  (but no Greg Evigan (I don't even know who that is)).

Evigan was a US TV star;  he was best know for his role in BJ and the Bear.  And yeah, that was actually the title of a US TV show.  The reason I used him is that several years ago, 3 underwater adventures came out at about the same time:  The Abyss, Leviathan, and Deepstar 6;  and he starred in one of them. 

viper37

ah, I didn't know that show.

Made me think of another show, though, a guy and his grizzly bear, hiding from justice for a crime he didn't commit.  That was fun :)  Can't make the title though.

dps

Quote from: viper37 on September 25, 2012, 03:18:34 PM

Made me think of another show, though, a guy and his grizzly bear, hiding from justice for a crime he didn't commit.  That was fun :)  Can't make the title though.

Grizzly Adams?

BJ and the Bear was about a truck driver named BJ McKay and his best friend, a chimpanzee named Bear.  And I feel really bad that I know that and don't have to look it up.

Incidentally, The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo was a spinoff of BJ and the Bear;  I think it might be better know and remembered than the parent show, even though it didn't run for as long.  And I feel even worse now. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on September 25, 2012, 03:25:22 PM
BJ and the Bear was about a truck driver named BJ McKay and his best friend, a chimpanzee named Bear.  And I feel really bad that I know that and don't have to look it up.

Incidentally, The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo was a spinoff of BJ and the Bear;  I think it might be better know and remembered than the parent show, even though it didn't run for as long.  And I feel even worse now.

Hey, I watched them too.  But my excuse was elementary school.

Eddie Teach

I've heard of BJ and the Bear, but not Sheriff Lobo fwiw.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on September 25, 2012, 03:18:34 PM

Grizzly Adams?

BJ and the Bear?

Sounds like a date night in San Francisco.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

I want a legit DVD box set of Sheriff Lobo. Forget the BJ and the Bear shit, Lobo was where it was at.

And Carter Country.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive