And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 22, 2012, 10:00:30 AM
Who fucking rated Outland a c+?

The kid that went to law school to review movies.

CountDeMoney

Watched the South Korean monster movie The Host.

Whether it's Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese or Chicom, their humor never translates well in films;  it's always simplistic, unwieldy and awkwardly placed.

Eddie Teach

Eh, that movie was funny enough for a creature feature.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 22, 2012, 10:13:50 AM
Watched the South Korean monster movie The Host.

Whether it's Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese or Chicom, their humor never translates well in films;  it's always simplistic, unwieldy and awkwardly placed.

You might like The Thirst. It's about a Korean Catholic priest who becomes a vampire. Not a very funny movie, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on September 22, 2012, 02:05:43 AM
Last night a group of us went to see Back to the Future at the cinema. :punk:
True classic. One of the best things America has ever done.
Though....I'm sure cracked has already said this......but the end where they have Biff just freely in their house and all friendly with the family- wtf? He tried to rape Marty's mother and they're all chummy-chummy? Ah the 50s, a simpler time, a better time....

Biff is not all friendly with the family.  River Phoenix has achieved alpha male dominance over him and Biff is now his gofer, his lackey, his underling.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on September 22, 2012, 02:05:43 AM
Last night a group of us went to see Back to the Future at the cinema. :punk:
True classic. One of the best things America has ever done.
Though....I'm sure cracked has already said this......but the end where they have Biff just freely in their house and all friendly with the family- wtf? He tried to rape Marty's mother and they're all chummy-chummy? Ah the 50s, a simpler time, a better time....

Not everybody can be expected to understand cinematic concepts like alternate history endings.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 22, 2012, 02:22:11 PM
Biff is not all friendly with the family.  River Phoenix has achieved alpha male dominance over him and Biff is now his gofer, his lackey, his underling.

Shirley you mean Crispin Glover.

garbon

Trouble with the Curve. Alright I guess. Bit long in the tooth.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 22, 2012, 03:36:18 PM
Shirley you mean Crispin Glover.

I can never keep those two straight.  They're the American version of Richard Harris and Peter O'Toole.

Eddie Teach

I don't see it. I think Phoenix looked more like Leo DiCaprio or a scrawny Val Kilmer.

Admiral Yi

Maybe it's because I'm half Asian.

11B4V

Watched the 1st season of Game of Thrones last weekend over the course of two days. Pretty good. I'll get season 2 when it's out.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

HVC

Boardwalk empire. Still an awesome show. Love buscemi. Great creepy looking actor.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

Saw Dredd.  I found it to be pretty good.  They did a good job of making a claustrophobic sort of action movie which was ultimately just a drug bust.  No vast conspiracy, no saving the world.  Sorta high-tech, but in a believable way (still roads, and cars, and guns, and slums).  Another thing that I was impressed by is how different makeup teams with different goals can change an actress so much.  Lena Headley is regally beautiful as Cercei Lannister, but pretty horrible as Ma-ma.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 22, 2012, 10:00:30 AM
Who fucking rated Outland a c+?

It was a B+ or an A until the last twenty minutes.  The assassins were so inept it wound up an anticlimax.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)