News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Crystal Skuls was garbage. Complete and utter garbage.  Godzilla v Desroyah was a good movie.
PDH!

Ideologue

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 09, 2012, 08:16:22 PM
Crystal Skuls was garbage. Complete and utter garbage.  Godzilla v Desroyah was a good movie.

It was ok.  All of the Heisei Godzillas past Vs. Biolante are kind of off somehow for me.

Now, the Heisei Gameras, on the other hand, are some of the finest monster films ever.  Even if the late 90s CGI in Revenge of Iris isn't really mature enough to work for what they want it to do, that scene where Gamera fights the Gyaoses in [Japanese city] in that movie is the best kaiju sequence I've seen.  Good use of low-angle shots, underlining its focus on the human casualties, and the indifference of the monsters to the human suffering they cause.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on September 09, 2012, 07:59:28 PM
But when did that son of a bitch take out the Yub-Nub song?  Fucking shit!  Replaced it with a shitty instrumental version of Toto's "Africa" I think. 

WTF?  :wacko:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Ideologue on September 09, 2012, 07:59:28 PMBut when did that son of a bitch take out the Yub-Nub song?  Fucking shit!  Replaced it with a shitty instrumental version of Toto's "Africa" I think.  This isn't Dune, assholes!
I'm pretty sure that was the Special Edition/Re-release to theaters version.  That's when they added in the terrible new version with cuts to various planets and new music.  Bastards. :mad:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Ideologue

Well, it's totally bogus.

Quote from: Ideologue on September 09, 2012, 08:30:21 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 09, 2012, 08:16:22 PM

It was ok.  All of the Heisei Godzillas past Vs. Biolante are kind of off somehow for me.

Oops, I take that back.  Godzilla vs. Mothra: The Battle For Earth is pretty decent.  I liked the Raiders of the Lost Ark homage, the ex-spouses getting back together, and the concept of an evil (male?) Mothra.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

New Dragons Den makes me happy. The abs pack man is nuts.
Otherwise in US TV I'm in withdrawal. One bunch of programmes have  finished but its another few weeks before another set begins.,
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on September 10, 2012, 06:28:08 AM
New Dragons Den makes me happy. The abs pack man is nuts.
Otherwise in US TV I'm in withdrawal. One bunch of programmes have  finished but its another few weeks before another set begins.,

SoA starts tomorrow.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Never got into that one at all.
██████
██████
██████

Viking

rewatching all of Nolan's batman. TBH, it is disorganized unfocussed overly dense and in each case has a nasty case of filmus interruptus half way through in each case.

He tries to cram two movies into each one and then spends most of the time advancing the plot of neither.

I'm gonna make myself unpopular but they were crap. I'm not sure how serious and dark you can be when you have a hero in tights.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

So you just spent 8 hours or so rewatching movies you didn't like the first time?  :wacko:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 11, 2012, 06:18:24 PM
So you just spent 8 hours or so rewatching movies you didn't like the first time?  :wacko:

No the first time round I was a n00bish fanboi and didn't notice that the movies were crap.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Viking on September 11, 2012, 06:05:06 PM
rewatching all of Nolan's batman. TBH, it is disorganized unfocussed overly dense and in each case has a nasty case of filmus interruptus half way through in each case.

He tries to cram two movies into each one and then spends most of the time advancing the plot of neither.

I'm gonna make myself unpopular but they were crap. I'm not sure how serious and dark you can be when you have a hero in tights.

Nolan's Batman movies have a funny way of dividing opinion. I agree that he tries to cram a lot into each one but the only one that felt a little disjointed or rushed was DKR. Begins and Dark Knight were pretty well-paced imo.

TBH, Batman Begins fell flat for me when I first saw it. I watched it again soon after DKR and I fell in love with it.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

mongers

Seems I haven't watch a film in 6 months.   :hmm:

Have I missed anything good ? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Nought absolutely amazing but the Avengers and Prometheus were rather good
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on September 11, 2012, 08:43:19 PM
Nought absolutely amazing but the Avengers and Prometheus were rather good

Ok. :thumsup:

I'll catch them within the next couple of years.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"