News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

You can find undubbed in the big cities.

Syt

Batman shows in iMax here, too, but the undubbed version runs at impossible times for me (afternoons on workdays, or very late nights).  :mad:

I'll probably have to go to a non-iMax theater for it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 26, 2012, 02:12:34 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 26, 2012, 01:59:30 AM
Depends how much you pay for it (bloody expensive in the Greater Paris) but I will not watch it dubbed, that's for sure.

My impression was one did not have much choice when it comes to foreign films shown in France.

I was speaking of (intra-muros) Paris in particular, one of the world's top spots for cinephilia, NOT the rest of France i.e the province in general. In the province, the situation is different and much worse though improving, at least in the big cites such as Lyon and perhaps a couple more, though not Marseille for some reason.

Also, foreign arthouse films are nowadays mostly shown in the original version if shown at all that is i.e no luck for you if you live in a small hinterland city, or worse in the countryside such as where Ed tries to buy a house ;)
The audience for Hollywood stuff is not demanding so dubbing is fine for them.

Back to topic, Imax cinemas are outside the city centres so that does not help for offering original versions.

If you like comparisons, Germany is way worse in this aspect since Berlin is no Paris, movie-wise and the other cities are on the same level as Lyon or worse e.g for Frankfurt only 5 venues where you get original versions and not all the time. Let us not mention that German digital terrestrial TV broadcast still has not discovered dual language broadcasting or forgot it, even ARTE Deutschland does not offer the original language track (this includes French movies sometimes) unlike ARTE France and not only for French movies.

Syt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 26, 2012, 09:48:21 AM
German digital terrestrial TV broadcast still has not discovered dual language broadcasting or forgot it

My impression (with Austria, too) is that they're using the bandwidth for ZOMG DOLBY5.1 or whatever they do these days. Austrian public tv has some series in dual audio. Commercial tv in both Germany and Austria have never shown anything in dual audio. Some cable channels do (MGM, FOX, TNT, the SKY movie channels).

Most movie by demand schemes in Austria are similar - they offer (almost exclusively) dubbed versions. iTunes is similar, at least for older movies.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on July 26, 2012, 10:05:41 AM
German digital terrestrial TV broadcast still has not discovered dual language broadcasting or forgot it

My impression (with Austria, too) is that they're using the bandwidth for ZOMG DOLBY5.1 or whatever they do these days. Austrian public tv has some series in dual audio. Commercial tv in both Germany and Austria have never shown anything in dual audio. Some cable channels do (MGM, FOX, TNT, the SKY movie channels).

Most movie by demand schemes in Austria are similar - they offer (almost exclusively) dubbed versions. iTunes is similar, at least for older movies.

Movies by demand in France would include an original language version offer.
Are you old enough to remember the glorious days of Zweikanalton? Didn't they use it for original versions in the big cities ?

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 25, 2012, 07:50:54 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 25, 2012, 07:49:57 PM
I would definitely remember if Marisa had aired her fun bags on camera before.

There was borderline nipplage in Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, but I believe she had a body double during the sex scene.

Ain't no borderline nipplage in that.... not work safe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COgtEyCUrY0

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 26, 2012, 10:10:32 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 26, 2012, 10:05:41 AM

Movies by demand in France would include an original language version offer.
Are you old enough to remember the glorious days of Zweikanalton? Didn't they use it for original versions in the big cities ?

Haven't lived in a big city in Germany. But I do faintly recall it.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Watching old episodes of the X-files on Netflix.  Used to love this show.  Still good.  Damn 1992 was a long time ago. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Went to a double feature at a drive in the other night.  Batman was OK.  I had issue with some of its plot.

Dark Shadows: I don't know what BUrton was thinking, but he took the legacy of Dark Shadows and pissed on it.
PDH!

HVC

a shining prequel? I hate hollywood.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on July 31, 2012, 08:38:55 AM

Maybe fair though Stephen King is also doing his own revisiting.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: garbon on July 31, 2012, 08:43:10 AM

He is a boozer again?
PDH!

CountDeMoney

I wonder who would play a young Scatman Crothers?  That would be tough to pull off.

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 31, 2012, 08:48:06 AM

I wonder who would play a young Scatman Crothers?  That would be tough to pull off.
i'm guessing a small asian woman. i mean if you're going to do something this commercial and stupid why go half assed?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Quote from: garbon on July 31, 2012, 08:43:10 AM

is he being paid to revisit it? if so i hate him too.