News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Kleves on July 07, 2012, 09:17:26 AM
Finally saw Prometheus. It is the kind of movie that, I'd wager, makes a much better impression in the theatre than it would at home.

SPOILERS:

Aside from what Ide and others pointed out earlier, why does the robot poison douchebag husband? Also, it would have been better had science-chick died at the end.

See, that was the one part of the movie I unambiguously liked.  That whole sequence, Shaw going off to find answers.  What are the answers?  Fuck you, that's your answer.  That was inspired.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

FunkMonk

Finally saw Prometheus. It is the kind of movie that, I'd wager, makes a much better impression in the theatre than it would at home.

SPOILERS:

Aside from what Ide and others pointed out earlier, why does the robot poison douchebag husband? Also, it would have been better had science-chick died at the end.

If I remember correctly, Weyland tells David to "try harder" in an earlier scene, so I suppose he takes that to mean he should experiment with the black goo and hope ancient alien gods sprout from the mess. He even asks the Douchebag Boyfriend how far he would go to meet his creators. When Douchebag Boyfriend says he'd do anything and everything, David takes that as permission for Alien Squid Baby hilarity.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ideologue on July 07, 2012, 11:47:03 AM

SPOILERS:

See, that was the one part of the movie I unambiguously liked.  That whole sequence, Shaw going off to find answers.  What are the answers?  Fuck you, that's your answer.  That was inspired.

Are you talking about the very end when she and C-3PO blast off to Space Jesus homeworld for wacky space adventures? I'm not sure I like how that was handled. I know they were going for the whole 'Ripley lost in space' gag like at the end of the other movies, but here it just seemed a little too, uh, comical.

In one of your earlier posts you mentioned a '2001' vibe from this movie, and I do sorta agree. It's not anywhere near as smart or as good as '2001', but Scott was obviously taking some cues from it.

I just saw this movie yesterday and I can't yet make up my mind whether I like it or not. It just seems like it was trying to do too much and the script just wasn't good enough to handle it (fuck you Lindelof). Is this movie supposed to be a sci-fi action thriller with crazy body horror or a hard science-fiction film about creation, death, sacrifice, and faith? Is this movie just dumb or am I just too fucking stupid to get it?

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on July 07, 2012, 10:59:55 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 07, 2012, 06:46:08 AM
Trailer for Sons of Norway :lol:

(Contains frontal nudity)

That looks fucking funny as hell. I wonder how much the sub titles would take away from it though.

Fucking bananas  :lmfao:

I though all Europeans acted like that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Well, well, well...an intriguing reboot.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/dredd/

It is the anti-Stallone.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

FunkMonk

Quote from: Habbaku on July 07, 2012, 01:22:08 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on July 07, 2012, 12:56:16 PM
Is this movie just dumb

Yes.

Yet a part of me still wants to like the movie, even if it's just the idiotic part of me. It's certainly better than crap like Transformers, but then again Transformers isn't trying to explain life, the universe, and everything.

I just don't know what to think. Fuck this movie.  :(

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on July 06, 2012, 09:48:06 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 06, 2012, 08:30:15 PM
When Vader is leaving Cloud City, what was wrong with the original "Bring me my shuttle"?  It was terse, direct and conveyed a sense of his disappointment, displeasure and all-around pissed-offedness.  Why the not so subtle change to "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival"...WTF was the point of THAT?

This is the deepest truth that has ever been spoken here.  I've been saying this for years, to anyone who will listen.  I have a sandwich board and a bell.  I'm like Kareem Abdul Jabbar on 'The Stand'.

Sarcasm noted.  :glare:

Ed Anger

Ugh. Doom. TV sucks today.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 07, 2012, 01:51:13 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 06, 2012, 09:48:06 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 06, 2012, 08:30:15 PM
When Vader is leaving Cloud City, what was wrong with the original "Bring me my shuttle"?  It was terse, direct and conveyed a sense of his disappointment, displeasure and all-around pissed-offedness.  Why the not so subtle change to "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival"...WTF was the point of THAT?

This is the deepest truth that has ever been spoken here.  I've been saying this for years, to anyone who will listen.  I have a sandwich board and a bell.  I'm like Kareem Abdul Jabbar on 'The Stand'.
Sarcasm noted.  :glare:
:huh:

No sarcasm.  I might have been a little overly earnest, but I've been raving about that one fucking line since the recut versions appeared in theatres.  You know how some people freak about Greedo shooting first?  Well I'm like that about fucking up 'Bring my shuttle'.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

For some reason, that does annoy me more than Greedo shooting first as well.

Probably because the emasculation of Vader in the remakes is so much more undignified than the de-scoundreling of Solo.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 07, 2012, 01:06:19 PM
Well, well, well...an intriguing reboot.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/dredd/

It is the anti-Stallone.
I'd watch that.  Shit, I still watch the original from time to time.  Armand Assante chews that scenery up.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 07, 2012, 02:10:15 PM
For some reason, that does annoy me more than Greedo shooting first as well.

Probably because the emasculation of Vader in the remakes is so much more undignified than the de-scoundreling of Solo.
I just wonder what Lucas was thinking, where what they replaced it with sounded better than the original.  It was that, more than anything with the Phantom Menace or remakes, that convinced me that Lucas has lost his damn mind.

Yeah, you can see how Vader was starting to get bitch-ified.  From there, it's a black diamond ski run to The Big No.

Habbaku

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 07, 2012, 01:38:18 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on July 07, 2012, 01:22:08 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on July 07, 2012, 12:56:16 PM
Is this movie just dumb

Yes.

Yet a part of me still wants to like the movie, even if it's just the idiotic part of me. It's certainly better than crap like Transformers, but then again Transformers isn't trying to explain life, the universe, and everything.

I just don't know what to think. Fuck this movie.  :(

Pretty much how I felt.  I actually considered it a C+ movie at the end of it because I enjoyed the spectacle, but virtually nothing else.  The more I think on it, though, the more I think of it as an exceptionally pretty D-.  It is really, really bad at its very core (most of which I blame on Damon 'Writing Endings is Boring!' Lindelof) and a pretty shell doesn't change that.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien