News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on July 06, 2012, 05:23:21 AM
I think Westmoreland has a good point btw when he says that the public probably would have lost the appetite for WW2, too, if there had been daily uncensored TV coverage of Anzio, Okinawa or Guadalcanal.

Well, there was a substantial amount of war fatigue by late '43 and '44, even without it.

QuoteMy Vietnam history was growing up with the TV show Tour of Duty and a monthly print magazine that piggy backed on the popularity of the show and movies like Platoon or Full Metal Jacket and ran for 2 years or so covering the conflict.

For a long while, right up until about Platoon, Vietnam was a conflict that you didn't really didn't about:  nobody could talk about it within a polite context, either from the left or the right, or even want to talk about it.  Didn't really become hyperbole until it was starting to show up in mass media for the Gen Xers.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 05, 2012, 03:35:26 PM
Quote from: dps on July 05, 2012, 01:30:26 PM
But to me, a sequel always sucks when it pisses on the ending of the previous film.

You mean, like Star Trek Eye Eye Eye: The Search for Spock?

The best Star Trek film?  I doubt he can mean that.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ideologue on July 06, 2012, 09:32:02 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 05, 2012, 03:35:26 PM
But to me, a sequel always sucks when it pisses on the ending of the previous film.

You mean, like Star Trek Eye Eye Eye: The Search for Spock?

The best Star Trek film?  I doubt he can mean that.
Only a monster would mean that.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

Spike's running the Star Wars flicks.  The original trilogy "Special Editions".

OK, so some of the explosions look good...but I mean, why the other changes?  When Vader is leaving Cloud City, what was wrong with the original "Bring me my shuttle"?  It was terse, direct and conveyed a sense of his disappointment, displeasure and all-around pissed-offedness.  Why the not so subtle change to "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival"...WTF was the point of THAT?  And destroying the pacing of the Falcon's escape with cut scenes from the beginning of ROTJ? C'MON ON MAN

Fuck Lucas is such a fucking fucktard fuck.

Thank Christ I have the original movies on VHS from the CBS/FOX video releases from the '80s.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on July 05, 2012, 07:43:02 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 04, 2012, 09:53:39 PM
One of the Cinemax channels is doing an Alien marathon;  just wrapped up Alien 3;  still don't know why it gets no love--other than fanbois hate the ending--but it's a very cool flick.

If I were a black man, I'd want to be Charles S. Dutton.
It's a good movie on its own, but slaughtering Newt and Hicks wasn't cool.

Not to mention Bishop. 

If they had left those 3 characters and Ripley out of it, and just gone with an alien attacking a prison colony, it would have been an OK, if derivative SF/horror film.  But to me, a sequel always sucks when it pisses on the ending of the previous film.

I think a better plot might be been to follow Corporal Hicks instead of Ripley.  I'd play up the war angle and make it kind of like Apocalypse Now as humans fight the Aliens.  In a sense, Apocalypse Now is a horror movie.  As the soldiers move up the river things get weirder and weirder and war is picking them off.  As it was the third movie would have been okay had it not killed two of the heroes of the second movie.  That's sort of a kick in balls right out the door.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 06, 2012, 05:30:04 AM
I think Westmoreland has a good point btw when he says that the public probably would have lost the appetite for WW2, too, if there had been daily uncensored TV coverage of Anzio, Okinawa or Guadalcanal.

Well, there was a substantial amount of war fatigue by late '43 and '44, even without it.

QuoteMy Vietnam history was growing up with the TV show Tour of Duty and a monthly print magazine that piggy backed on the popularity of the show and movies like Platoon or Full Metal Jacket and ran for 2 years or so covering the conflict.

For a long while, right up until about Platoon, Vietnam was a conflict that you didn't really didn't about:  nobody could talk about it within a polite context, either from the left or the right, or even want to talk about it.  Didn't really become hyperbole until it was starting to show up in mass media for the Gen Xers.

Yeah, Tarawa is good example.  People weren't mad because there were casualties in Vietnam or that we could see them, they were pissed because weren't winning.  In WWII you could look at the maps that came out in the newspaper.  US forces were making progress.  It wasn't clear the US was making progress in Vietnam.  We only had the military's word, and after Tet nobody trusted the military.  It's not like this was the first time either.  In the American Civil war the war was deeply unpopular when the Army of the Potomac kept failing to win battles.  In a Republic people are willing to expend blood and treasure, but they expect results.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

Oh...speaking of Star Wars, I fast-forwarded through the XXX parody thing. Meh....not so good. The bit with Leia, Han and Luke was Ok.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 06, 2012, 08:30:15 PM
When Vader is leaving Cloud City, what was wrong with the original "Bring me my shuttle"?  It was terse, direct and conveyed a sense of his disappointment, displeasure and all-around pissed-offedness.  Why the not so subtle change to "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival"...WTF was the point of THAT?
This is the deepest truth that has ever been spoken here.  I've been saying this for years, to anyone who will listen.  I have a sandwich board and a bell.  I'm like Kareem Abdul Jabbar on 'The Stand'.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

mongers

It should be interesting to watch. The series was made less than a decade after the war, so it's also an interesting insight into minds of the decision makers relatively shortly thereafter, even though now a lot more facts will be public. (Similar to the BBC World at War series as, though probably outdated in some respects, has the advantage of still having many eye witnesses in front of the camera.)

My Vietnam history was growing up with the TV show Tour of Duty and a monthly print magazine that piggy backed on the popularity of the show and movies like Platoon or Full Metal Jacket and ran for 2 years or so covering the conflict.

As a small kid, I remember watching the nightly news about Vietnam as it happened; I grew up with it, I was 11-12 when Saigon fell.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Quote from: Josephus on July 06, 2012, 09:36:42 PM
Oh...speaking of Star Wars, I fast-forwarded through the XXX parody thing. Meh....not so good. The bit with Leia, Han and Luke was Ok.

I thought some of the non-sex scenes were pretty amusing.

Ben: "Your father was the best starpilot in the galaxy."
Luke: "My uncle says he was a psychotic whiner!"
Ben: "And the best starpilot in the galaxy."

Luke: "How did my father die?"
Ben: "He was killed by Darth Vader who was a pupil of mine until I cut his arms and legs off and left him to burn to death in lava ..."
Luke: "I want to go home now."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Kleves

Finally saw Prometheus. It is the kind of movie that, I'd wager, makes a much better impression in the theatre than it would at home.

SPOILERS:

Aside from what Ide and others pointed out earlier, why does the robot poison douchebag husband? Also, it would have been better had science-chick died at the end.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Josephus

Finally got around to watching Midnight in Paris. I guess when you watch something with high expectations you're bound to be disappointed. I thought it was OK. Nothing great. Did like Brody as Dali.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Darth Wagtaros

Watching The Music Man, Matt Broderick version.  I like the original better, though this isn't bad.
PDH!

11B4V

Quote from: Syt on July 07, 2012, 06:46:08 AM
Trailer for Sons of Norway :lol:

(Contains frontal nudity)

That looks fucking funny as hell. I wonder how much the sub titles would take away from it though.

Fucking bananas  :lmfao:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".