News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Iron Sky- I knew it would be a bit of a crappy dissapointment but not quite in this way....the German chick was cuter than expected though. Cute voice. Overall very meh.

Gulliver's Travels- The Jack Black one. Not as awful as I'd heard. Not great but so-so.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 17, 2012, 11:14:14 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 17, 2012, 09:49:42 PM

4.  Because, as is usual for the genre, wise precaution and clever thinking would make for a short, dull movie.

Bah, monsters are even more scary when they defeat clever protagonists through overwhelming brawn or wit.

Spoilers below.

Put me in the camp of those who thought it was a fun movie, in spite of all its glaring faults.

Many of those faults were I think due to lazy scriptwriting, where the writer wanted to move the action from A to B and could see no way to do so sufficiently quickly without the crew behaving foolishly or implausibly.

For example - it makes no sense for Prometheus to simply land somwhere on the planet without a full scan taking a lot of time, and just sort of randomly land right next to the important artifact. But it saves time.

Similarly, it makes no sense for a woman to engage in strenuous action immediately after major abdominal surgery. Nor does it make sense for her to assault the crewmembers taking her to hypersleep, conduct surgery on herself (removing an alien squid-baby), and have neither her nor they even mention this when they all meet up again. If I had a squid-baby removed, I'd be "mentioning" it all over the place!

But again, it saves time - the writers want to move on to the next scene. No time to resolve the "WTF I JUST HAD A SQUIDBABY" thing.

My take: that the filmmakers were more interested in both the big themes (conflict between parent and child, creation and creator) and in creating a visually stunning thrill ride, than in making either the setting or characters sensible. Those who like the movie do so because they find the themes engaging and the thrills exciting. Those who dislike the movie do so because they can't enjoy the big themes or the thrills when neither the setting nor the characters make any sense. That's why the film creates so much argument.

Me, I enjoyed it. But I can certainly see why some do not.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Scipio

Quote from: Malthus on June 18, 2012, 03:35:16 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 17, 2012, 11:14:14 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 17, 2012, 09:49:42 PM

4.  Because, as is usual for the genre, wise precaution and clever thinking would make for a short, dull movie.

Bah, monsters are even more scary when they defeat clever protagonists through overwhelming brawn or wit.

Spoilers below.

Put me in the camp of those who thought it was a fun movie, in spite of all its glaring faults.

Many of those faults were I think due to lazy scriptwriting, where the writer wanted to move the action from A to B and could see no way to do so sufficiently quickly without the crew behaving foolishly or implausibly.

For example - it makes no sense for Prometheus to simply land somwhere on the planet without a full scan taking a lot of time, and just sort of randomly land right next to the important artifact. But it saves time.

Similarly, it makes no sense for a woman to engage in strenuous action immediately after major abdominal surgery. Nor does it make sense for her to assault the crewmembers taking her to hypersleep, conduct surgery on herself (removing an alien squid-baby), and have neither her nor they even mention this when they all meet up again. If I had a squid-baby removed, I'd be "mentioning" it all over the place!

But again, it saves time - the writers want to move on to the next scene. No time to resolve the "WTF I JUST HAD A SQUIDBABY" thing.

My take: that the filmmakers were more interested in both the big themes (conflict between parent and child, creation and creator) and in creating a visually stunning thrill ride, than in making either the setting or characters sensible. Those who like the movie do so because they find the themes engaging and the thrills exciting. Those who dislike the movie do so because they can't enjoy the big themes or the thrills when neither the setting nor the characters make any sense. That's why the film creates so much argument.

Me, I enjoyed it. But I can certainly see why some do not.
Maybe Scott felt like he didn't want to make Dances with Alien (after Dances with Muslims and Dances with Saxons and Dances with Harlem and Dances with Romans).
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Admiral Yi

You Annette Benning fans have to see Grifters.  She is shrieking hot in that and bounces around the screen all nuded up.

Scipio

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 18, 2012, 07:46:21 PM
You Annette Benning fans have to see Grifters.  She is shrieking hot in that and bounces around the screen all nuded up.
PLus, that is super-creepy ossum Cusackian/Huston freaky-deaky nutjob con-artistry.  And surprise bonus Pat Hingle crime boss.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Josephus

The Killing (US). Over, finally.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Josephus on June 18, 2012, 08:51:09 PM

OOOH DONT SAY NUFFIN IM STILL 3 EPISODES BEHIND KNOCKING IT OUT TONIGHT

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Habbaku

Is that it for the show?  I haven't watched a single episode, but if it's only got two seasons and will only ever have two seasons...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

katmai

Quote from: Habbaku on June 18, 2012, 09:02:18 PM

Is that it for the show?  I haven't watched a single episode, but if it's only got two seasons and will only ever have two seasons...
TBD. Amc hasn't made an announcement.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josephus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 18, 2012, 08:54:34 PM

OOOH DONT SAY NUFFIN IM STILL 3 EPISODES BEHIND KNOCKING IT OUT TONIGHT

It was the butler.

D"oh.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Better joke:

We don't find out who killed Rosie. We have to wait for S.3 :D

Eddie Teach

I knew Linden was crazy, but spending a month investigating a murder without realizing she was the killer was a bit hard to swallow. :rolleyes:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?