News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 28, 2012, 09:42:19 PM
Sam Peckinpah's 1969 Western The Wild Bunch:thumbsup:  Good fun for bad people.

A fave of mine too, I'd love to watch it in a cinémathèque.
Probably my favourite western now actually.

Syt

Re-watched "Firefox" with Clint Eastwood.

Hadn't watched the movie since I came to Vienna. So it's weird now to see the Viennese subway and adjoined areas masquerading as Moscow.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 29, 2012, 07:30:09 AM
Well, going back to Neil's premise as to why the '60s and '70s make such a great platform for espionage movies is probably due to the fact that the nexus of human intelligence gathering and over-reliability on technology hadn't fully clashed.
Look at The Conversation, Three Days of The Condor, Marathon Man--technology is an adjunct, not the centerpiece, like it is in the thrillers of the '80s and onward.  Back then, it was still a brain game.
Yeah.  It was man-against-man.  The whole plot of a 70s spy movie is accomplished in a matter of seconds in a montage of satellite photos in a more modern film.  The remainder is filled in with gunshots and explosions, with an occasional footchase.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Men In Black 3: good fun, but the ending is total bullshit.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on May 29, 2012, 10:27:26 AM
The remainder is filled in with gunshots and explosions, with an occasional footchase.

Nothing wrong with those things.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 29, 2012, 10:56:54 PM
The remainder is filled in with gunshots and explosions, with an occasional footchase.

OK, Mart.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 29, 2012, 10:56:54 PM
In moderation, sure.  But the modern world and film industry have overindulged.  People aren't interested in a movie where someone figures something out anymore, because in this day and age information is simply presented to us with the click of a mouse.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Berkut

Watched about an hour of the first episode of the  Hatfield and McCoys things on History Channel. Then the wife was tired as we will watch the rest tonight.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on May 30, 2012, 03:19:49 PM
Watched about an hour of the first episode of the  Hatfield and McCoys things on History Channel. Then the wife was tired as we will watch the rest tonight.

Lemme guess - they don't get along.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on May 30, 2012, 04:42:01 PM

thanks for spoiling it for me. :mad:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Just watched the trailer for the Great Gatsby.  Looks.....good.
Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

Quote from: Josephus on May 30, 2012, 04:49:52 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 30, 2012, 04:42:01 PM

thanks for spoiling it for me. :mad:

another spoiler for ya....

They filmed it in Romania.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 30, 2012, 06:37:47 PM

I watched that a few days ago and I was not amused.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Habbaku

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 30, 2012, 06:37:47 PM

Like the novel, it will no doubt be atrocious.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien