News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Saw Hal Pass and a Good old fashioned orgy.

Hal Pass
is decent, no more.  Predictable and silly.  It might appeal to married man who fantasize about having an adventure, though.
Synopsis: two 40 year old guys get a Hal Pass for one week, meaning they can do whatever they want, fuck anyone they want for one week, no questions asked, only after that they come back and fall in line or get a divorce.  Some good jokes about men in their forties thinking they can score with all the 20 something hotties they meet, but otherwise not that good.

A Good old Fashioned orgy
Basically a tenn comedy with people in their 30s.  And it works nicely. :)
Really silly and over the top just how I like my comedies :)

Also, re-watched: Dodgeball: a true underdog story
I didn't remember it to be so funny :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

The American Friend.  Good Wenders adaptation of a Tom Ripley novel.  Great central performances by Dennis Hopper and Bruno Ganz.

Also why is the 70s so perfect for these types of thrillers, even in retrospect like in Tinker Tailor.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 28, 2012, 03:31:56 PM
Also why is the 70s so perfect for these types of thrillers, even in retrospect like in Tinker Tailor.

Because audiences were still expected to think back then, and they could.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 28, 2012, 06:05:53 PM

He's talking about movies set in the 70's, not made in the 70's. :secret:

Darth Wagtaros

Going Postal (Discworld) was bitchin super awesome.

Re-watched Dodgeball af ew weeksa go, it was excellent.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2012, 06:09:03 PM

Eh, OK.  Thought he was talking about the first Tinker Tailor with Alec Guiness.

Josephus

The most recent episode of MadMen was the best of a somewhat disappointing season.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Detente?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

Sam Peckinpah's 1969 Western The Wild Bunch:thumbsup:  Good fun for bad people.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

11B4V

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 28, 2012, 09:42:19 PM
Sam Peckinpah's 1969 Western The Wild Bunch:thumbsup:  Good fun for bad people.
:yes:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Quote from: Josephus on May 28, 2012, 11:31:18 AM
Apocalypto is worth watching. For sure. Great chase scene, but also the opening stuff on the pyramids is pretty cool. Great scenery and story telling overall.
Just cause Mel Gibson is an angry Jew hater --and who isn't?-- doesn't mean he can't make good movies still. I still want to watch Beaver some day.

I enjoyed The Passion of the Christ, except for the tacked on happy ending.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on May 29, 2012, 12:10:06 AM
Apocalypto is worth watching. For sure. Great chase scene, but also the opening stuff on the pyramids is pretty cool. Great scenery and story telling overall.
Just cause Mel Gibson is an angry Jew hater --and who isn't?-- doesn't mean he can't make good movies still. I still want to watch Beaver some day.

Never seen that.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 28, 2012, 08:39:01 PM

Eh, OK.  Thought he was talking about the first Tinker Tailor with Alec Guiness.
Both work actually.  And The American Friend was made (and set) in the 70s too. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Quote from: Ideologue on May 29, 2012, 12:10:06 AM

Yup. I liked that too. Lots of the old ultra violence.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Well, going back to Neil's premise as to why the '60s and '70s make such a great platform for espionage movies is probably due to the fact that the nexus of human intelligence gathering and over-reliability on technology hadn't fully clashed.
Look at The Conversation, Three Days of The Condor, Marathon Man--technology is an adjunct, not the centerpiece, like it is in the thrillers of the '80s and onward.  Back then, it was still a brain game.