Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 21, 2012, 02:31:36 AM
OH MY FUCKIGN GOD!!!11111111111

:w00t:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34x6m-ahGIo&feature=g-hist&context=G24bc860AHTzmo3wACAA

Quote from: Reply #3382 on: February 14, 2012, 04:30:45 pm

I'm surprised Timmay hasn't been spooging all over the Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter trailer :P

I see I was just off by a month.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sophie Scholl

Watched the standard edition of John Carter last night.  I rather enjoyed it.  It reminded me a lot of what the Star Wars prequels tried for and failed miserably at.  It's a shame it got so terribly marketed and hasn't come close to making a profit, as the completion of the trilogy would have been fun to watch.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Neil

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 21, 2012, 11:27:37 AM
Watched the standard edition of John Carter last night.  I rather enjoyed it.  It reminded me a lot of what the Star Wars prequels tried for and failed miserably at.  It's a shame it got so terribly marketed and hasn't come close to making a profit, as the completion of the trilogy would have been fun to watch.
Yep.  It was a really good movie, and I like the comparison to Star Wars.  When I was watching this movie, I felt like I was taken back to my youth when I was watching great, pulpy movies like Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark.  The critics that panned this movie are a bunch of film-school flunkouts who would hate on pretty much any classic film if it was released today.

Fuck you, haters.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I was going to see that last night, but I got kinda sick that day and didn't go.  That is one film I've been wanting to see.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

Quote from: Neil on March 21, 2012, 11:34:49 AM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 21, 2012, 11:27:37 AM
Yep.  It was a really good movie, and I like the comparison to Star Wars.  When I was watching this movie, I felt like I was taken back to my youth when I was watching great, pulpy movies like Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark.  The critics that panned this movie are a bunch of film-school flunkouts who would hate on pretty much any classic film if it was released today.

Fuck you, haters.

The buzz on this movie from people I trust (not professional hack movie critics) agrees with your assessment.

I think the main problem with the movie is its terrible title. John Carter? Sounds more like a mediocre courtroom drama. I understand wanting to remain true to the source material, but that is a terrible name for a blockbuster movie.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 21, 2012, 12:32:26 PM
The buzz on this movie from people I trust (not professional hack movie critics) agree with your assessment.

I think the main problem with the movie is it's terrible title. John Carter? Sounds more like a mediocre courtroom drama. I understand wanting to remain true to the source material, but that is a terrible name for a blockbuster movie.
It was actually due to people's reviews here on Languish that I went to see it.  The previews and buzz did little to make me want to watch it.  I really think Disney dropped the ball on this film big time.  The marketing and selling of the film were atrocious.  Also, it screams "summer popcorn flick", yet they released it in March?  Terrible decisions all over.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Scipio

Should've gone with a 70s exploitation flick theme: BARSOOM! in garish block letters, with bodices ripped, and blood and the sword.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Kleves

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 21, 2012, 02:31:36 AM
OH MY FUCKIGN GOD!!!11111111111

Hey Tim, the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie is making the turtles aliens.  :o

There, that should calm him down for awhile.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Neil

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 21, 2012, 12:32:26 PM
The buzz on this movie from people I trust (not professional hack movie critics) agree with your assessment.

I think the main problem with the movie is it's terrible title. John Carter? Sounds more like a mediocre courtroom drama. I understand wanting to remain true to the source material, but that is a terrible name for a blockbuster movie.
Yeah, John Carter of Mars would probably have been better, or something to give the audience a clue.  A Princess of Mars probably wouldn't have worked though.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Scipio on March 21, 2012, 01:05:51 PM
Should've gone with a 70s exploitation flick theme: BARSOOM! in garish block letters, with bodices ripped, and blood and the sword.
Would have been pretty awesome like that too.  Throw it in the "Grindhouse" Tarantino line.

Berkut

Watched Kick Ass last night. That was pretty damn good. Hitgirl is awesome.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

PDH

A Princess of Mars would have only worked if they had boobs on the movie posters like the 70s book cover.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on March 21, 2012, 03:26:15 PM

[comic-book-nerd] The comic was better. [/comic-book-nerd]
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Neil

Quote from: Habbaku on March 21, 2012, 04:22:32 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 21, 2012, 03:26:15 PM
[comic-book-nerd] The comic was better. [/comic-book-nerd]
Not especially.

Neil

Quote from: PDH on March 21, 2012, 04:19:43 PM
A Princess of Mars would have only worked if they had boobs on the movie posters like the 70s book cover.
Yeah, that would have been necessary.  Otherwise, guys would have thought that it was a sci-fi Princess Diaries and stayed away.