News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 02, 2012, 11:25:30 PM
2001: A Space Odyssey is coming on AMC in 5 minutes.
Your ability to sit through the nigh constant commercial breaks that is AMC astounds me.  TCM or Sundance for me pretty much exclusively if I'm going to watch a movie on tv.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Eddie Teach

AMC's alright if you're on the computer during commercials.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 01, 2012, 02:15:58 AM
I liked Alien 3, actually.  At that point, all three films were different treatments; not bad, just different. 

I really liked Charles S. Dutton's role, though.  LADY YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW ME

But yeah, I think a lot of people still project the fact that they're pissed Charles Dance got whacked way too early.  :P

By itself Alien 3 wouldn't be so bad, but it pales in comparison to the other ones.  Also arbitrarily killing off two characters was dumb.  The problem was they didn't have any idea who was going to be in the film so the script was constantly changing.  I was thinking of how I would have written a script for the third film.  It would have focused on an older Corporal Hicks who is still a marine and is fighting an ongoing war against the Aliens.  Perhaps someone has learned to use the Aliens as weapons or maybe they are smarter then was previously believed.  Whatever the reason the Aliens are fighting differently then they had before, and Hicks (and possibly Ripley if they could get Weaver to sign on), is one of most respected experts on fighting the creatures so he is sent in to find out why. I was thinking along the lines of Apocalypse Now with monsters.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 03, 2012, 12:15:14 AM
Your ability to sit through the nigh constant commercial breaks that is AMC astounds me.  TCM or Sundance for me pretty much exclusively if I'm going to watch a movie on tv.

Turns out it is on TMC, not AMC.  Watched a bit.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 03, 2012, 01:31:57 AM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 03, 2012, 12:15:14 AM

Turns out it is on TMC, not AMC.  Watched a bit.
Yeah, noticed that while I was looking what to watch during commercials of The Late Late Show.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Sheilbh

Gasland.  Okay I suppose.  I watched with a friend who's a lawyer who has done some work for a fracking firm, so they knew all about the 'Halliburton loophole' and so on.  It was interesting enough on the facts.

I love personal documentaries in general and we're in a golden age of documentary films.  But this guy's personal angle and involvement was annoying and dominant when it shouldn't have been.  His Al Gore power point moment was absurd.  He looked like he shot too much of the film in Hipstamatic. 

The best documentaries use a distinctive style to advance their argument (that's how I see them anyway).  This doesn't.  It seems like it used a style because it was cool, but that in fact got in the way of his argument and the story he's telling.  Which is a shame and very frustrating because it was interesting :(
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Walking Dead:  looks like there won't be anymore arguments out of Dale.  They should've executed the kid.

Bonus: The Killing season 2 starts April 1 :yeah:

FunkMonk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 05, 2012, 05:02:11 PM
Walking Dead:  looks like there won't be anymore arguments out of Dale.  They should've executed the kid.

He was really annoying in this episode. I kept thinking he was going to immolate himself Buddhist Monk-style in protest.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 05, 2012, 06:41:03 PM

He was really annoying in this episode. I kept thinking he was going to immolate himself Buddhist Monk-style in protest.

He was hurting.  Now he's free.

Liep

Bonus: The Killing season 2 starts April 1 :yeah:
We're getting season 3 soon!

Also, I just made an audible gasp near the end of North by Northwest, am I getting that old?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Habbaku

:rolleyes:  Yeah, God forbid anyone argue for keeping some vestige of humanity.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on March 05, 2012, 08:22:07 PM

I felt he had very valid points as well, and he sorta reminded me of the one character in The Stand that made them reaffirm the DoI and Constitution.
Didn't expect him to bow out like that at all.  Damned way to die.

Habbaku

Dale's arguments were the best of the group's--primarily because the other's arguments amounted to "But something might happen if we don't kill him!".

I kinda figured he would have to die soon to open the way up for the group to start doing worse things, but I didn't think it would be in the very same episode that he makes it clear to them how fucked up they're acting.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

FunkMonk

Quote from: Habbaku on March 05, 2012, 08:22:07 PM

Not saying I agree or disagree. God forbid I'd know what to do in that situation.

He's understandably shaken to his very core by his comrades lack of sympathy for the prisoner, but his goddamn crazy bug eyes really put me off.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.