News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Watched The American while sitting on the couch .

Pretty meh movie. I get what they were trying to do, but I just don't think it really worked.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

LaCroix

Quote from: Zoupa on February 29, 2012, 10:02:32 PM
I never got the hate over Alien 3. I liked it.

it's a fine movie. most people cannot let go of the fact that their favorite characters were mercilessly (but understandably) killed off in the first few minutes. i liked the religious undertones, and the prison setting

garbon

Understandably?

Anyway, I simply didn't find it to have that same tension/excitement. I think I've fallen asleep twice while watching it at home.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Alien 3 isn't good. The setting is ugly and boring, and also looks cheap. The people (sweaty bald men in dirty clothes) are unappealing and uniform. Including Malcolm X was uninspired. The alien doesn't have any memorable scenes. And what does the movie want? Alien was horror, Aliens was action, Alien 3 was... what? Coal miner documentary? There's a bunch of roles they could have picked for the third movie but they didn't.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

LaCroix

alien flicks are about ripley and her struggle against the xenomorphs with a supporting cast that are mostly cannon fodder. new film, different take on ripley versus alien. plus, if they kept the same setting and had newt, hicks and android running around ... it would have ruined the "lost in a strange new world among dangerous villains behind every corner" element

@brain: alien 3 is good. the setting is unique and interesting, and looks fine. the people are appealing, and the alien has many memorable scenes. etc. etc.  :P

CountDeMoney

I liked Alien 3, actually.  At that point, all three films were different treatments; not bad, just different. 

I really liked Charles S. Dutton's role, though.  LADY YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW ME

But yeah, I think a lot of people still project the fact that they're pissed Charles Dance got whacked way too early.  :P

LaCroix

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 01, 2012, 02:15:58 AMAt that point, all three films were different treatments; not bad, just different. 

pretty much this. i was thinking about brain's "what did it bring to the table" comment earlier, and you know.. the same as the first and the second. just as both of those are so different than each other, alien 3 isn't much like the first two. it is its own entity, and it fits. the series, of course, spiraled out of control with the fourth flick, but the third still stands on its own

The Brain

I think it would have worked if Alien 3 had for instance dealt with how human society reacts to the alien. It touches on this, but not very much.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

A3 was ok, but Aliens was the best. Example you say......

Bet she only did light trimmin of the forest in those days.  :perv:

DA DA DA DDDDAAAAAAAMMMNNNN
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

LaCroix

source code

i really enjoyed it. great performances all around, and decent direction :)

CountDeMoney

Been watching Godfather and Godfather II all week long on AMC.

Watching that abortion of a Godfather III for some painful reason, but only because it's raining too hard out to go slam my dick in the car door.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 01, 2012, 02:15:58 AM
But yeah, I think a lot of people still project the fact that they're pissed Charles Dance got whacked way too early.  :P
Or maybe they killed Hicks and Newt way too early.  Like, at all.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on March 02, 2012, 08:50:03 PM
Or maybe they killed Hicks and Newt way too early.  Like, at all.

That would have made for a more interesting Alien 3.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 02, 2012, 07:10:46 PM
Been watching Godfather and Godfather II all week long on AMC.

Watching that abortion of a Godfather III for some painful reason, but only because it's raining too hard out to go slam my dick in the car door.

Funny when I first saw I and II, dick slamming occurred just before.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

2001: A Space Odyssey is coming on AMC in 5 minutes.