News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 10, 2012, 11:50:01 PM
Saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy the other night, which was stupendously well-done and well-cast. Favorite bit of the flick was Lenin Claus singing the Hymn of the Soviet Union at a Christmas party. I haven't read the book and I'm heavily inclined to read it now.

You should read the entire Smiley trilogy it starts;  Honorable Schoolboy and Smiley's People are next.  Hell, you should read all his books;  Le Carre' is one of the most polished, non-intelligence-insulting espionage/intrigue writers out there.

QuoteAnd I just realized he was in my favorite HBO film Conspiracy:homestar: I must watch that again.

That was a cool pic.  Firth's character was definitely on the outside looking in, though.

FunkMonk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 11, 2012, 06:17:43 AM
Saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy the other night, which was stupendously well-done and well-cast. Favorite bit of the flick was Lenin Claus singing the Hymn of the Soviet Union at a Christmas party. I haven't read the book and I'm heavily inclined to read it now.

You should read the entire Smiley trilogy it starts;  Honorable Schoolboy and Smiley's People are next.  Hell, you should read all his books;  Le Carre' is one of the most polished, non-intelligence-insulting espionage/intrigue writers out there.

I'll be picking them up as soon as I'm finished with what I'm reading now. :cheers:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

The End of Suburbia- Someone told me it was an interesting documentary about the future development of cities away from their current car focused design, an idea I've thought about a lot myself.
I watched it. And....oh.... Its typical "oil peak!", "America is stupid", "Its the end of Rome!", "We're doooooommmmeeed" stuff....
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

The three Heisei-era Gamera movies on Blu Ray for nine dollars.  Fucking awesome, I'm sure, but I'll be here to tell you if this in fact the case, at insufferable length, later.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

New episode of Grimm tonite. Pretty much a ritual with my 6 y/o daughter who digs that show. I'm like meh, as far as the show goes.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Darth Wagtaros

That show looked borin as crap.  I hated it. I hate nearly everytghing.

30 Rock is kicking ass.
PDH!

Scipio

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 11, 2012, 06:17:43 AM

QuoteAnd I just realized he was in my favorite HBO film Conspiracy:homestar: I must watch that again.

That was a cool pic.  Firth's character was definitely on the outside looking in, though.
As much as I understand Le Carre's anti-Americanism, The Honorable Schoolboy felt like a betrayal of all things Smiley.  It's literally Le Carre's only novel I can't stand.  Simply wretched.  I've never understood all the encomia heaped upon it.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: viper37 on January 09, 2012, 07:26:19 PM
Saw the new ABC series, The Firm, inspired by the movie of the same name.

The first and last 5 minutes have some suspense in it, but it feels like déjà vu.  The rest of the 2hr pilot was dedicated to some boring lawyer stuff where the goal was simply to portray the main character in a good light, having nothing (well, almost nothing) related to the main plot.  It will air on Thursday nights.  I ain't gonna watch this one.  Maybe if you crave lawyer's stuff like some crave hospital's stuff you'll watch it.  For my part, I think I'll record the Gargoyles re-run on Disney channel, it might prove more interesting than that :P

Is it just me or is Peter Coyote dubbing in that main actor's lines?  he sounds exactly like Peter Coyote. But yeah it has some good parts... like Juliette Lewis and some Canuck supporting players, but uneven in the melodrama/cliche/suspense thing.... Same as that Gufted Man show...waaaay too much plot crammed into the show.
:p

Eddie Teach

Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2012, 04:29:20 PM
New episode of Grimm tonite. Pretty much a ritual with my 6 y/o daughter who digs that show. I'm like meh, as far as the show goes.

I guess it beats watching Spongebob.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

L'Âge des ténèbres (English: Days of Darkness, also known as The Age of Ignorance, accurately translated as The Dark Ages) on the Sundance Channel.  Apparently by the same director who did The Decline of the American Empire and The Barbarian Invasions.  I... actually really enjoyed it.  I had no idea what it was going into it, and still am not sure I know going out of it, but it was a nice little Canuckistani/Quebecois flick.  Mayhap I shall hunt down the other parts of the theoretical trilogy.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

11B4V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 14, 2012, 02:51:24 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2012, 04:29:20 PM

I guess it beats watching Spongebob.

That it does.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

HVC

War Horse. Good movie but depressing as hell.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on January 14, 2012, 10:25:19 AM
War Horse. Good movie but depressing as hell.

That's why I refused to see it in theaters.  I still cry at animal movies.

YEAH FUCK YOU ALL TOO LIKE YOU DONT

CountDeMoney

Darth Wagtaros

Let's not forget the next GI Joe Movie.
PDH!