And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

Last night when I walked through the living room, my wife was watching something that had that Dr. Rush guy from Stargate. And king Midas turned a dude's sword to gold. I thought--well shit, you can't fight with it now!

Dunno what it was.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 05, 2012, 06:41:04 PM
Last night when I walked through the living room, my wife was watching something that had that Dr. Rush guy from Stargate. And king Midas turned a dude's sword to gold. I thought--well shit, you can't fight with it now!

Dunno what it was.
Once Upon A Time.  ABC show that debuted this past October.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Josquius

Quote from: Malthus on January 05, 2012, 10:33:48 AM
My kid has been watching a show called Horrible Histories on BBC Kids. It's a sort of monty pythonesque take on bits of actual history 'with the gory bits left in', for kids.

I gotta admit - I like it too.  :blush:

My favorite is when they do music videos which are pastiches of various video styles, with semi-historical content - low budget as all hell, but I find them funny.

Don't worry, you're not alone. Over here in the UK it attracted quite an adult following too and they even recut it into a prime time version hosted by Stephen  Fry instead of a talking rat.
I too quite enjoy much of it, the songs are good yes.

QuoteI loved the Horrible Histories books as a kid. Haven't seen the show, though I've read it's got a cult adult following.
Me too, they were great. They were history books but I wouldn't look like too much of a weird kid and attract unwanted attention for reading them.
The author lives in a village just over a valley from my town too, I remember he once came to my school and did a little show which was rather awesome.
Apparently his politics are retarded though.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on January 05, 2012, 07:26:37 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 05, 2012, 10:33:48 AM
My kid has been watching a show called Horrible Histories on BBC Kids. It's a sort of monty pythonesque take on bits of actual history 'with the gory bits left in', for kids.

I gotta admit - I like it too.  :blush:

My favorite is when they do music videos which are pastiches of various video styles, with semi-historical content - low budget as all hell, but I find them funny.

Don't worry, you're not alone. Over here in the UK it attracted quite an adult following too and they even recut it into a prime time version hosted by Stephen  Fry instead of a talking rat.
I too quite enjoy much of it, the songs are good yes.

QuoteI loved the Horrible Histories books as a kid. Haven't seen the show, though I've read it's got a cult adult following.
Me too, they were great. They were history books but I wouldn't look like too much of a weird kid and attract unwanted attention for reading them.
The author lives in a village just over a valley from my town too, I remember he once came to my school and did a little show which was rather awesome.
Apparently his politics are retarded though.

I like the talking rat.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on January 04, 2012, 01:51:06 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 03, 2012, 11:49:52 PM

Agreed all around except that with all they have been through - I couldn't see them buying for a minute the comparison of the dead to the mentally ill. I also thought Herschel was an idiot to deal with the group so brusquely. Couldn't he see he only had power as long as the group was willing to be polite?
I dunno, I think the whole seeing he only had power as long as the others were nice thing fit in very well with his view of the infected. Even despite all evidence to the contrary he still had his mind set in the nice safe normal world where there are rules, ill people are treated, etc...

I guess my issue was that they were all acting like, yeah if he tells us we have to leave, we have to leave.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

I Married a Monster From Outer Space (1958): a bit like a mashup of 1956's Invasion of the Body Snatchers and 1957's Mysterians, aliens come to Earth and disguise themselves as humans, but do so in order to seduce Earthling women in order to repopulate their race (all their women having died from the environmental cataclysm which has sent them to the stars, you see).  It's actually got some nice touches.  The main alien antagonist, having replaced the female lead's fiancee on the eve of their wedding, becomes somewhat attached to his new human wife, evidently wishes her no active harm despite the repeated instances of rape-by-fraud alluded to, and endures the divided loyalties and perhaps guilt this entails.  But anyway she uncovers the conspiracy and regular joes kill them all.  And when the aliens die, they melt!  It's gross.  Also, the film has the most instantly unappealing female supporting character in history.  She looks and sounds like a younger version of Lucille Bluth, but with all the funny parts excised.  Imagine it: it's not a pretty picture, is it?  Bitch is only in the movie for about two minutes and nearly manages to derail it the two or three times she appears.  Otherwise, good.

Godzilla: Final Wars (2004): Dino de Laurentiis' The Matrix, With Special Appearance by Godzilla.  The last Godzilla movie may be the dumbest, campiest, most over-the-top of them all.  It's also the longest, at over two hours, but for a film billed as wall-to-wall kaiju vs. kaiju action it's really more about these mutants and aliens kung fu and spaceship fighting in scenes ripped off from various other sources, including The Matrix, as noted, Mission Impossible 2, and Independence Day.  One wonders what they could have done with the millions of dollars spent on these quasi-effective action sequences if they'd spent it ON WHAT PEOPLE PAID TO SEE.  Because, honestly, the monster fights are somewhat few and far between.  And no one cares about Godzilla fighting a giant spider (I'm sure it has a name) or a giant mantis (it probably has a name too).  Interestingly, you can see the production values are higher than in, say, the 1970s Godzilla movies--and yet unless great care is taken they kind of look worse.  Oh, and the son of Godzilla himself, Minya is in this.  Barf.

And yet, it's fun.  The villain is pretty hilarious, throwing temper tantrums when Godzilla beats his mind-controlled army of cameo monsters (but no Megalon--fucking weak*).  And the American guy in it, one of the heroes, steals the show with his Stalin-like mustache and hamhock performance.  Also, the true final battle between Godzilla and Mothra on one side and Ghidrah and Gigan on the other is probably one of the best in the canon.  Not my favorite, but it's an effective send-off.  Until the next time, anyway.

*Seriously, King fucking Seesar, the awful Cliffordesque giant dog and protector of Okinawa from Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, is in this movie.  But Megalon is not?  How does that happen?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Tyr on January 05, 2012, 10:23:27 AM
First episode of the new Sherlock series- I just didn't like it. Long and draggy and lost my interest too many times.
It is kinda hard to get into and really enjoy.  I thought it was boring. 
PDH!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 09, 2012, 03:16:16 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 05, 2012, 10:23:27 AM
First episode of the new Sherlock series- I just didn't like it. Long and draggy and lost my interest too many times.
It is kinda hard to get into and really enjoy.  I thought it was boring.
I thought it was great :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on January 09, 2012, 03:05:34 PM
And no one cares about Godzilla fighting a giant spider (I'm sure it has a name) or a giant mantis (it probably has a name too).

What about a giant moth?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 09, 2012, 06:16:09 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 09, 2012, 03:05:34 PM
And no one cares about Godzilla fighting a giant spider (I'm sure it has a name) or a giant mantis (it probably has a name too).

What about a giant moth?

That puts asses in seats.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Still loving the new Sherlock series, maybe a triumph of style over content, but engaging not the less.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"