Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Josephus on December 27, 2011, 10:40:29 PM
Great ending, eh? ;)

Yeah, that woke me the fuck up.

I can appreciate Rick's attempts at maintaining his humanity in the "new world" and trying to do the right thing with Hershel, but he's going to have to make Hershel account for that.  All this time, fuck.
And Shane's going to have to be dealt with, more sooner than later.  That guy's grenade is already cooked.

Fucking February's gonna be a mess.

Ideologue

The Giant Claw.  A "bird the size of a battleship" comes to Earth from an undiscovered location, eats planes because of their meaty centers, and eventually tries to make a nest.  It is invulnerable to all attempts at harm due to fake make-up science, but its one weakness is even faker, more made-uppier science.  This the weakest aspect of the film.  There's no real need to impose technobabble on a giant monster film.  Rockets don't hurt it?  Fine, I don't really need to know why, especially if the explanation involves an "antimatter energy shield," and especially especially if the solution involves "mesic atoms."  (And yet those are real things, and they are described accurately enough.  I don't understand how their interaction with fucking antimatter is more special than, say, oxygen, but how about that?)

Other than that, it's very good.  Cute dialogue and performances by everyone involved, particularly the two leads, special effects that are not exactly great but more than serviceable (with the minor exception of aircraft in the same shot as the bird, which are very obviously toys on strings).  The monster looks like Sloth from the goonies if he grew wings.

The obvious comparison is to Rodan.  I suppose Rodan is probably better--Rodan was in color even though it was a year earlier, the monster is cooler and more iconic, not to mention more sensible in general.  However, many aspects of the Giant Claw--particularly one romantic scene which involves the stagiest, most inhuman, yet hilariously adorable dialogue ever written--are more entertaining.

There's a bunch of these old B-movies on Youtube.  A fine public service.  God bless the Internet. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Watched a rerun of Boardwalk the other night, I think the 2nd episode of the 2nd season, the one in which they jump cut from Nuckie's speech in the black church to Nuckie's speech to the Klan.

My question is, shouldn't the Klan be stringing up Nuckie too for being a Papist?

garbon

We Bought A Zoo

Alright. Definitely not a children's moving though. Actually somewhat depressing. Also, lovely that the one black character only gets referred to by her place of work's name.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 28, 2011, 03:32:15 PM
Watched a rerun of Boardwalk the other night, I think the 2nd episode of the 2nd season, the one in which they jump cut from Nuckie's speech in the black church to Nuckie's speech to the Klan.

My question is, shouldn't the Klan be stringing up Nuckie too for being a Papist?

Did the Klan ever do that?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 28, 2011, 04:06:40 PM

Did the Klan ever do that?
Yes. Oneo f many reasons that the Klan should have been dealt with like traitors and terrorists.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on December 28, 2011, 03:41:58 PM
We Bought A Zoo

Alright. Definitely not a children's moving though. Actually somewhat depressing.

Talk about depressing?  My sister called me from the car last night after seeing Young Adult.  Said it was such a black comedy, there was no comedy.  Definitely a cringe-inducing, uncomfortable movie.

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 28, 2011, 04:22:29 PM
We Bought A Zoo

Alright. Definitely not a children's moving though. Actually somewhat depressing.

Talk about depressing?  My sister called me from the car last night after seeing Young Adult.  Said it was such a black comedy, there was no comedy.  Definitely a cringe-inducing, uncomfortable movie.
So your kind of movie.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on December 28, 2011, 04:29:32 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 28, 2011, 04:22:29 PM
We Bought A Zoo

So your kind of movie.

You know it.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Ideologue

I see young adult films all the time.  I suppose on occasion they're depressing.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Kleves

I think those were just regular racist folk, not the klan. Nucky doesn't like the Klan much.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Kleves on December 28, 2011, 05:06:00 PM
I think those were just regular racist folk, not the klan. Nucky doesn't like the Klan much.

The wake he attended was definitely a full on Klan wake.

Josephus

I think there was a hierarchy of hate. As long as Nuckie was pissin' on the niggers, they looked past his papism.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Were the clan really so anti-catholic by that point in time? Certainly as the 20th century went on it became much less of an issue.
And Nucky is hardly a bible basher, he's just vaguely catholic.

And yeah, IIRC that was certainly the clan he was speaking to. He doesn't like them true but...it is better politics for them to think he's on their side.
██████
██████
██████