News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 24, 2011, 06:17:18 PM
Maybe she's trying a sort-of old school Mid-Atlantic accent.

Dat's right, it's Miss Maggie, hon.

Syt

The question is how the accent will sound. Brit actors playing yanks can work pretty well. Daniel Day Lewis as Bill the Butcher or Mr. Plainview. Hugh Laurie as House. Many of the guys on Band of Brothers were British, including Damian Lewis who played Winters.

Anyone have a good example of a Yank impersonating a Brit?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

I don't know that Day-Lewis sounded all that "American" in those roles. And most Americans doing Brit accents sound plausible enough to me. It's a matter of perspective. /shrug
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on December 24, 2011, 11:12:56 PM
Anyone have a good example of a Yank impersonating a Brit?

I thought Johnny Depp was pretty good in Sweeney Todd and Blackbeard.  Robert Downey jr. in Sherlock.  Paltrow in Shakespeare in Love.  Whatshisface did surprisingly well in Shakespeare in Love.

Razgovory

Lewis was doing a sort of antiquated Yankee accent in Gangs of New York.  It's not really recognized much anymore.  I'm told you can still hear in some places in Vermont and New Hampshire.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Josquius

I've just noticed they made a new this is England. Yey. Nice Xmas present.

And the trailer for Jack the Giant Killer looks very un Jack the Giant Killery and more dark Jack and the Beanstalk.
I'm upset they're making it, I was writing a story heavily featuring gians and now folk will think that made me do it.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Ah, the annual culling of the Netflix queue. I've got 16 movies in my instant queue going offline Jan. 1.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 24, 2011, 06:21:41 PM
How do you Pomegranates feel about Thatcher being played by a Yank?

Why would I be bothered about an American playing an alien.  ;)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

'Cowboys vs Aliens' OK, but it was hard not to guess it originated in a comic, the characters were rather two dimensional.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Invasion Earth: The Aliens Are Here.  A collection of clips and trailers from 50s sci-fi films wrapped into an absurdist, comedic, somewhat incoherent parody of such films, involving a gang of inept aliens taking over a small town theater, with the goal of pod-peoplizing the masses lulled into coma by the flashing images on the screen, only to be foiled by the vigilance of some local kids.

I hadn't watched it since I was a kid, and I'm sure I'd have ran my pirated VHS of it ragged but for the fact I lost it.  But my dad found it a few months ago, it still worked, and he transferred it to DVD.  It sounds stupid, and it is, yet it holds a lot of nostalgia for me.  But, you know, even without that factor, I think I would've had a lot of fun watching it, because it has a lot of cheesy laughs, and lot of clips of cool B-movies--even today, I'm still scratching my head over where some of those clips were from (unfortunately, the credits are clipped off the recording, because clearly proper attribution of work wasn't important to me when I was eight :( ).  Also, it has a badass theme song.

It's one of those movies that seems almost lost to the collective memory--not a single clip is on Youtube; a solitary mean-spirited review posted by some retard who thought it was the BBC show Invasion Earth, because he evidently can't read, is up on IMDB.  But it won't be totally forgotten, as long as I have it. :)

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

The Colossus of New York.  A scientist dude dies, and his scientist dad and scientist brother build him a robot body and put his intact brain in it.  His scientist brother tries to fuck his widow, and gets what's coming to him, namely cyborg death, and afterward the cyborg guy goes crazy and attacks the United Nations because "he has no soul," his dad played God, etc.

Decent flick, even if it's pretty preposterous.  It really highlights how far we've come in that no reasonable person today believes that a brain in a new body would be "soulless" or that "without [that] soul, only monstrousness remains."  Conceded, however, that one may imagine that the lack of sensory input from skin and the absence of a dick would probably fuck a guy's mind up, and lead to much the same results: dead MRFs at the U.N.  But that's really more of an engineering problem.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

QuoteInvasion Earth: The Aliens Are Here.  A collection of clips and trailers from 50s sci-fi films wrapped into an absurdist, comedic, somewhat incoherent parody of such films,

I remember that. Used to see it on HBO at 11am when I was "sick" from school.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Finally, FINALLY, caught up with the last 3 episodes of The Walking Dead.

Holy shit.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011