And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Kleves on December 20, 2011, 10:51:37 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 17, 2011, 06:18:59 PM
Been watching a bunch of Godzilla movies.  Good times.
:thumbsup:

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974).  It's the little touches, like an alien leader in his silver jumpsuit swilling brandy and smoking a cigar.  When in Rome, I guess. :lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

frunk

Speaking of guys in rubber suits, I just finished the Gamera series from MST3K. 

<singing>
Gamera! Gamera!
Gamera is filled with meat.
Gamera is really neat.
</singing>

Also saw the first episode of The Cape.  What a deliriously silly show.

Ideologue

The Gamera MST3Ks are, with a few exceptions, the Joel Era's finest.

Destroy All Monsters.  This actually sucks.  And it's disappointing, because this is the big one that I'd never seen before, and it has like eleven different monsters in it.  But it's dead boring, with none of the charm most of the Godzilla movies have.  I mean, it's got weird shit, but none of it is particularly interesting.

It finally picks up when Ghidrah shows up in the last few minutes, but he's no real match for the other ten monsters and the coup de grace is administered by... Godzilla's son, blowing a smoke ring at Ghidrah's center head. :bleeding:

I've never understood why Ghidrah gets into melee situations anyway.  Thing's got no arms, but has three heads that spit lightning and he flies.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on December 20, 2011, 05:30:59 PM

I've never understood why Ghidrah gets into melee situations anyway.  Thing's got no arms, but has three heads that spit lightning and he flies.

He's pretending he can't spit lightning.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Kleves

Quote from: Ideologue on December 20, 2011, 01:50:52 PM
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974).  It's the little touches, like an alien leader in his silver jumpsuit swilling brandy and smoking a cigar.  When in Rome, I guess. :lol:
I don't usually mind that kind of stuff. The only Godzilla which I find just unwatchably goofy/Japanese is the trip that is Godzilla v. Megalon. Shiny silver villains from Atlantis (which for some reason is even more ludicious that from space)? Check. Giant cockroach monster (the Atlantean superweapon)? Check. Plush robot that can grow to giant size? Check. Flying Godzilla? Check. Whiny, chunky little Japanese kid paddling around on the lamest/most useless aquatic toy ever (seen below; on the bright side, the movie did get the MST3K treatment)? Check. Even Gigan can't save things.

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Ideologue

I thought Megalon, the monster itself, looked really cool, though.  I mean, yeah, he's a giant cockroach.  But Mothra's my favorite and she's just a giant moth. :P I'd have liked to have seen Megalon back in the later series.

I wish MST3K had done more Godzilla films, but if they were going to do just one (although they did two -_- ) Megalon was probably the right choice.

I think instead of Sea Monster (which is ok, but a little dull) they should've gone for Gigan, which has ridiculous shit happening in every frame, like the cockroach aliens, jewel-birth of the space monsters, and the silly manga artist protagonist, and an alien homeworld in a nebula named after me. :)
Kinemalogue

Josquius

Quote from: Viking on December 20, 2011, 10:02:55 AM
Quote from: Josephus on December 20, 2011, 09:56:18 AM
This was probably the worst of the Dexter series, the last minute not withstanding. It seemed to lack focus.

Debs lust for Dexter is freaky. But she figures out that he is a serial killer in the first book.
I really can't help but think that that is the actors doing, telling the writers they want a romance.
██████
██████
██████

Kleves

Quote from: Tyr on December 20, 2011, 08:16:35 PM
I really can't help but think that that is the actors doing, telling the writers they want a romance.
:hmm: IRL, the actors have married and divorced.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on December 20, 2011, 08:16:35 PM
Quote from: Viking on December 20, 2011, 10:02:55 AM
Quote from: Josephus on December 20, 2011, 09:56:18 AM
This was probably the worst of the Dexter series, the last minute not withstanding. It seemed to lack focus.

Debs lust for Dexter is freaky. But she figures out that he is a serial killer in the first book.

No, it's gotta be awkward for them. They divorced.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Really? :lol:
Didn't even know they were married, thought they were just together.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Fast Five. Could've used a bit of editing to get it down to a hundred minutes or so, and the plot was as goofy as expected. Still, it delivered very well on the action. Possibly as good as the first one(that's not a particularly high bar, mind you).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Watched "Silence of the Lambs". Always a good watch.

"I do wish we could chat longer, but... I'm having an old friend for dinner. Bye"

"It rubs the lotion on its skin. It does this whenever it is told. It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again. "

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on December 20, 2011, 10:07:50 PM
Really? :lol:
Didn't even know they were married, thought they were just together.

Mike Hall is a co-start robber. First Jenny Carpenter, last year Julia Stiles, I wonder who's his chick this year.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zoupa

Finale of Homeland. A bit disappointing. The part where he just kills Walker: not believable.

And poor Claire Danes. I just want to take care of her.  :blush:

Viking

Quote from: Zoupa on December 21, 2011, 10:47:05 AM
Finale of Homeland. A bit disappointing. The part where he just kills Walker: not believable.

And poor Claire Danes. I just want to take care of her.  :blush:

I wanted to take care of the Claire Danes from Romeo and Juliet, but many years later and a long experience of the batshitness of women leads me to the opposite conclusion. The Carrie Matheson character is the kind of person that I would act in such a way that she never ever gets the idea that I actually like her or want to be part of her life.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.