News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Hey Kat, you're a fucking industry insider:

when the fuck is my Moonrise Kingdom coming out?

Syt

Conan the Barbarian (2011)

Not as bad as I had feared. In fact, the first half hour is pretty enjoyable.

Jason Momoa is a very good pick for the title character, and the guy who played young Conan was also pretty good. And Ron Pearlman - well, he's just Ron Pearlman, which is enough. Rose McGowen as sorceress also had obvious fun in her role.

Unfortunately, the other characters/actors don't really pull their weight, esp. the love interest (I can see why Conan just dumps her off at the end) and the cookie cutter villain. The plot went from decent to bland to silly (e.g. I somehow missed why he snuck into the villain's fortress, only to come out at the other end and go to the Place of Showdown, as one example).

The fights were mostly nothing too special, but competently handled - though this began to break down at the end, starting with the tentacle fight which was neither exciting nor making much sense. The final showdown sequence was also a letdown.

On the other hand I loved the production design, sets and costumes.

Overall, I'd give this 6.5 cut off heads out of 10. Enjoyable action scenes for the most parts and good visuals and a pretty good first act.

I would like to see this revisited with a decent script and better actors.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

I'm not watching that garbage. If I want to see men take a huge dump on something I can watch German cable.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Just watched the recent four "General Krell" episodes of Clone Wars. Extremely good.

The clone trooper stories tend to be among the better of the series, and this has easily been the best so far. The 501st is sent to a planet that's perpetually shrouded in darkness and shadows. Skywalker is recalled to Coruscant, so the troops are placed under command of General Krell who has a reputation of getting the job done . . . with very high casualty numbers.

Quite some allusions to Guadalcanal (having to take and hold an important airbase) and bits about Vietnam, and a lot of conflict between a "bad commander" and the "good soldiers" torn between loyalty/duty and doing what they think is "right".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on December 03, 2011, 08:25:34 AM
Just watched the recent four "General Krell" episodes of Clone Wars. Extremely good.

The clone trooper stories tend to be among the better of the series, and this has easily been the best so far. The 501st is sent to a planet that's perpetually shrouded in darkness and shadows. Skywalker is recalled to Coruscant, so the troops are placed under command of General Krell who has a reputation of getting the job done . . . with very high casualty numbers.

Quite some allusions to Guadalcanal (having to take and hold an important airbase) and bits about Vietnam, and a lot of conflict between a "bad commander" and the "good soldiers" torn between loyalty/duty and doing what they think is "right".

That's retarded.  You're retarded.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2011, 10:44:12 AM

Did you correct yourself or did you add to your statement?

Razgovory

I have to admit, it's impressive that George Lucas managed to come up with a war with two distinctive sides (clones, robots), that invoke zero empathy, pathos, or interest at all.  That's a brilliant way to make a war dull and uninteresting.  And no, I didn't watch the "Clone wars" or that animated move or whatever.  Bleh.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on December 03, 2011, 11:20:31 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2011, 10:44:12 AM

Did you correct yourself or did you add to your statement?

I emphasized.

The Brain

On COPS right now an African-American gentleman tried to avoid the police and ended up in the water. Turned out he COULDN'T SWIM!!! :o

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on December 05, 2011, 12:04:21 PM
On COPS right now an African-American gentleman tried to avoid the police and ended up in the water. Turned out he COULDN'T SWIM!!! :o

Shocka.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

I like how everybody in Hung is turning into white trash.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Habbaku

Last night's Boardwalk Empire was HOTT.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josephus

Quote from: Viking on December 05, 2011, 02:37:07 PM

Stopped watching that one after one season.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Viking

Quote from: Josephus on December 05, 2011, 04:58:57 PM
Quote from: Viking on December 05, 2011, 02:37:07 PM

Stopped watching that one after one season.

This episode included them stealing a dozen cattle from a bailjumping pimp in bumfuck michigan.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.