News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

The approaching three musketeers film deserves some credit for being the first Clock Punk film.
That I know of anyway.
It does look potentially bad though.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 23, 2011, 02:32:54 AM
Clock Punk?
Just looked it up.  Apparently like Steampunk, but set during the Renaissance period and using clockwork and gear powered inventions of an advanced nature instead of steam powered.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Darth Wagtaros

I'll stick with steampunk.
PDH!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on October 23, 2011, 02:36:02 AM
Clock Punk?
Just looked it up.  Apparently like Steampunk, but set during the Renaissance period and using clockwork and gear powered inventions of an advanced nature instead of steam powered.

One day, we will reach Nuclear Punk.

dps

Quote from: Tyr on October 23, 2011, 02:25:08 AM
The approaching three musketeers film deserves some credit for being the first Clock Punk film.
That I know of anyway.
It does look potentially bad though.

From the trailers, it looks absolutely terrible.

Spooky

Movies:

Margin Call - Focused on fictional wall street investment bank in the 24 hours leading up to the credit default swap collapse. Very strong cast. Somewhat reminiscent of Too Big to Fail, but is more narrowly focused and highlights the financial industry. Good flick.

The people in this movie have clearly being coached by industry veterans, some of the roles and comments made were so sub-culture specific they made me do a double-take. Be it the writer, the producers or some sort of advisor, someone there had actually been on a trading floor. Wall Street 2, this is not.

TV:

Gus Van Sant's Boss -http://www.starz.com/originals/boss

Pretty phenomenal opening, intense and sober look at the life and times of players in the infamous Chicago Political Machine. Equal parts The Wire and Rome

Also The Walking Dead is exposed this season. So far its been hours of melodramatic husband/wife/other-man love triangle fallout, crying, and implausible situations. Is anyone else sick of the sepia tone in nearly every daylight scene? The South does not look like a dustbowl you tools. 

Razgovory

Clock Punk?

"Punk" and "Renaissance" don't seem to naturally go together in my mind.  I have a hard time imagining the Sex Pistols in 15th century Florence.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on October 23, 2011, 10:55:23 PM
Clock Punk?
"Punk" and "Renaissance" don't seem to naturally go together in my mind.  I have a hard time imagining the Sex Pistols in 15th century Florence.
A lot of people seem to forget the 'punk' part of steampunk, cyberpunk and 'clockpunk'.  If you're not fighting 'The Man', it's not the right genre.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tonitrus

"Meek's Cutoff"

Not completely horrible, but not all that great either.

When I first started to watch it, I noticed it was in the 1.33:1 aspect ratio (who the hell films movies in full-screen anymore?), and was cursing out Netflix for sending me a cheap full-screen DVD.  Then some internet research unveiled that the director did it that way intentionally:

Quote"I felt like the square [aspect ratio] gave you an idea of the closed view that the women have because of their bonnets,"

:bleeding:

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tonitrus

Quote from: katmai on October 24, 2011, 12:14:22 AM
http://www.weather.com/tv/tvshows/coast-guard-alaska

There are days I wish I had joined the CG instead.

I probably wouldn't be jumping out of helicopters though.  :P

Tonitrus

Latest episode of "The Walking Dead".  Not bad.

One thing I am beginning to wonder...

If the zombies are essentially just brain-dead "reboot"s of the human body, and apparently still require food to function, how do they keep functioning by milling about an empty place that's been cleaned out of live targets?  At least zombies roaming the woods for woodchucks made sense.  And I'd imagine the zombies would eat each other after too long.

Of course, here I am making the first mistake when watching a zombie apocolypse show...that being to try and make sense of the zombie apocolypse.  :P

Sophie Scholl

Once Upon A Time, the new show on ABC.  I am... willing to give it another week?  Certainly not top notch, and definitely seemingly aimed for children or females, it was still vaguely watchable.  That and Ginnifer Goodwin is rather attractive. :wub:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."