News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

The original was really quite good.  I think it improved on the novel.

The remake looks promising, although I think I prefer Noomi Rapace as Salander to Rooney Mara.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Viking

Quote from: Scipio on October 27, 2011, 08:23:52 AM
The original was really quite good.  I think it improved on the novel.

The remake looks promising, although I think I prefer Noomi Rapace as Salander to Rooney Mara.

Noomi Rapace was able to depict Lizbeth Salander's spirit and attitude very well. It's just that in the books Salander has the body of a 12 year old girl. Her boob-job is part of her emotional recovery after her rape, symbolizing her maturity and emancipation. I think Rooney Mara has the body as depicted in the book. If she can act the part as well as Rapace we will see.

I love the books, the only thing about them that annoys me is that all the bad guys have to be Nazis as well.

I look forward to the movies.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Habsburg

Thanks for the comments.  There is going to be a teen girls clothing line from Mara's look.  :rolleyes:  Srsly.  At movie sites fankids are "omg! this wil be bigger than teh Gone with teh Winmd movie!!!

I think it's being over hyped and the Academy doesn't like Fincher, so I am cool on noms.
I could see BP and some techs, but I don't think AMPAS is going to go for freak girl.

If the reviews are stellar, I'll change my mind.

Viking

Quote from: Habsburg on October 27, 2011, 03:21:33 PM
Thanks for the comments.  There is going to be a teen girls clothing line from Mara's look.  :rolleyes:  Srsly.  At movie sites fankids are "omg! this wil be bigger than teh Gone with teh Winmd movie!!!

I think it's being over hyped and the Academy doesn't like Fincher, so I am cool on noms.
I could see BP and some techs, but I don't think AMPAS is going to go for freak girl.

To be a pedantic shit, it isn't Mara's look, it's Lisbeth Salander's look. Have you read the books? The books are pure genius, even in english.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Darth Wagtaros

Repeat viewing of.. THE ROOM with Rifftraxx.
PDH!

Scipio

It would be nice if I would never have to hear about fucking Gone with the Wind again.  I thought that sad lost cause shit was over when my uncle, who I loved dearly, died two days after my wedding.

That movie, the attitude behind it, OMFG.  It's like Birth of a Nation, only with a shittier plot, crappier music, and less racism (by, like, a quant).

The troubles of rich people make for shitty culture.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Habsburg

Quote from: Viking on October 27, 2011, 03:59:01 PM

To be a pedantic shit, it isn't Mara's look, it's Lisbeth Salander's look. Have you read the books? The books are pure genius, even in english.

Oh I understand it's Salander's look.  I haven't been overwhelmed with Mara so....let's see the recepton.  Fincher is doing the dildo rape of the bad man by Salander, so I could see the older voters flip out.

All the comments have been helpful, as I've been rather cool on where it's going, and several of the pros seem to think it'll gross like 350 mil just in the US.  :D I'm thinking 125 mil.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Scipio on October 27, 2011, 10:03:20 PM
It would be nice if I would never have to hear about fucking Gone with the Wind again.  I thought that sad lost cause shit was over when my uncle, who I loved dearly, died two days after my wedding.

That movie, the attitude behind it, OMFG.  It's like Birth of a Nation, only with a shittier plot, crappier music, and less racism (by, like, a quant).

Not having food to eat is hardly a "white whine".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Habsburg on October 28, 2011, 12:36:37 AM

Oh I understand it's Salander's look.  I haven't been overwhelmed with Mara so....let's see the recepton.  Fincher is doing the dildo rape of the bad man by Salander, so I could see the older voters flip out.

All the comments have been helpful, as I've been rather cool on where it's going, and several of the pros seem to think it'll gross like 350 mil just in the US.  :D I'm thinking 125 mil.

The Dildo Rape didn't shock me at all. The bdsm anal rape did shock me. The dildo rape felt like justice.

Scipio

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 28, 2011, 12:41:19 AM

They shouldn'ta oughtn'ta rebelled, then.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

viper37

Watched the first 10 minutes of "I am number four".  I tought it was supposed to be good...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

It's alright for a teenybopper flick.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Finally watched the end of Torchwood.
Well...that was long and drawn out. Why didn't the family folks just bloody jump on them (the none-bomb ones)
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: Scipio on October 28, 2011, 02:08:25 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 28, 2011, 12:41:19 AM

They shouldn'ta oughtn'ta rebelled, then.

Correct.  It'd have been pretty cool if Scarlett had been set on fire.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)