News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on October 17, 2011, 09:01:10 PM

Also...and this probably was explained last year; but I'm a bit of a zombie newb.
What's up with the dead people in the cars? How come they're not zombies? One imagines they were killed by zombies. So what makes some zombies and others not? Don't quite understand that bit.

Except for the first episode with that half decomposed chick the cop finds when he get out of the hospital it does look like the zombies do die eventually. Lack of food or desecation or something. My guess is that dumb zombies couldn't get out of the cars and died died.... that or people freaked and locked themsleves in their cars and just died.

QuoteFinally...not sure if my PVR cut out the last minutes or not. Did it end with the deer shooting?
i think so. but i changed the channel and when i came back the second showing was on, so i'm not the best one to answer :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ideologue

Quote from: HVC on October 17, 2011, 09:04:56 PM

Also...and this probably was explained last year; but I'm a bit of a zombie newb.
What's up with the dead people in the cars? How come they're not zombies? One imagines they were killed by zombies. So what makes some zombies and others not? Don't quite understand that bit.

Except for the first episode with that half decomposed chick the cop finds when he get out of the hospital it does look like the zombies do die eventually. Lack of food or desecation or something. My guess is that dumb zombies couldn't get out of the cars and died died.... that or people freaked and locked themsleves in their cars and just died.

And this is why zombies are no threat, and all zombie movies which are not comedies are bad.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ideologue on October 17, 2011, 09:31:42 PM
Quote from: HVC on October 17, 2011, 09:04:56 PM

And this is why zombies are no threat, and all zombie movies which are not comedies are bad.
Its more the global outbreak that I have trouble believing.  World War Z had a premise that was cool, but the entire world being overrun in a week and a half by slow, shambling corpses is too silly to make for good theater.
PDH!

Habsburg

I think one has to completely turn off the realism meter to watch The Walking Dead.

Too many plot holes, but otherwise kind of scary.  I think they do an effective job of "the very few vs. the great mob" thingy.

You want to sink into depression over the end of the world genre, watch The Road.   :(  Still have nightmares.

Tonitrus

It's no fun when you never really know why the world ended.

Octavian

Watched the part of Armadillo with the 5 dead Talibans on Youtube. Pretty intense. Perhaps I should watch the entire documentary.

Part 1:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F2dO1LveM0&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL8AC686C04ED0ED0D

Part 2:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqLG2LGrCQQ&feature=related
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Admiral Yi

Watched an episode of Enlightened last night.  Another HBO original series.  Boy they sure crank em out.

The premise is Laura Dern is a midlevel exec for some generic corporation that gets shitcanned after she has an affair with her boss, he transfers her to another department, then she flips out on the job.  She flies off to some lovey kumbayah retreat/therapy center in Hawaii and comes back all tree huggy and progressive, asks to be rehired and gets tossed into the basement data entry Siberia.

The best part of the show is the people she works data entry with.  They did a good job of casting some really funny looking people.

The worst part (for me) is the discomfort of having to look at Laura Dern's scrawny gawky unattractiveness for the whole show.

Slargos

Quote from: Barrister on October 17, 2011, 02:45:09 PM

So you support keeping all prisoners on 24 hour lockdown?  Because that's the only way to 100% protect the personal safety of inmates.

Would 95% be enough?

Why do you americans insist on raping and mutilating eachother in prison anyway? Even our muds don't behave the way you people do in prison.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Slargos on October 19, 2011, 04:16:40 PM
Why do you americans insist on raping and mutilating eachother in prison anyway? Even our muds don't behave the way you people do in prison.

Because it makes for gritty television/movie drama.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

So you support keeping all prisoners on 24 hour lockdown?  Because that's the only way to 100% protect the personal safety of inmates.

Would 95% be enough?

Has nothing to do with race Slargy.  I've seen whites and natives with tear drop tats.

And apparently the Somalis and the Jamaicans keep to themselves on the inside.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on October 17, 2011, 02:58:03 PM
Oh, and also I can think of at least one method even under our current regime that would increase inmate safety.  It's pretty simple, and would create jobs.
More jobs means more expense, and so it's bad.

The only justifiable use for more money is the construction and maintenance of dreadnought battleships.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2011, 04:25:00 PM

Would 95% be enough?

Has nothing to do with race Slargy.  I've seen whites and natives with tear drop tats.

What are tear drop tats?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on October 19, 2011, 05:21:17 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2011, 04:25:00 PM

Would 95% be enough?

What are tear drop tats?

IIRC, they killed somebody
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 19, 2011, 03:59:07 PM
Watched an episode of Enlightened last night.  Another HBO original series.  Boy they sure crank em out.

The premise is Laura Dern is a midlevel exec for some generic corporation that gets shitcanned after she has an affair with her boss, he transfers her to another department, then she flips out on the job.  She flies off to some lovey kumbayah retreat/therapy center in Hawaii and comes back all tree huggy and progressive, asks to be rehired and gets tossed into the basement data entry Siberia.

The best part of the show is the people she works data entry with.  They did a good job of casting some really funny looking people.

The worst part (for me) is the discomfort of having to look at Laura Dern's scrawny gawky unattractiveness for the whole show.

She looks like that annoying HR bitch who tries to pressure you into signing up for the company's United Way autodeduction.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Midnight Cowboy

Odd seeing Voight looking attractive and similar to his daughter.  I wanted more of that homosexual frame of reference although I suppose it was more blatant than the contemporary film Reflections in a Golden Eye.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.