News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josquius on October 16, 2024, 03:29:49 PMSo joker 2 seems to be a flop.
Got to say, I was surprised to hear of its release a few weeks ago as I thought it had long since been out. Something went weirdly wrong there.

It was always going to flip. It's a musical. A fucking Musical. These studios executives are idiots.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 16, 2024, 05:48:48 PM
Quote from: Josquius on October 16, 2024, 03:29:49 PMSo joker 2 seems to be a flop.
Got to say, I was surprised to hear of its release a few weeks ago as I thought it had long since been out. Something went weirdly wrong there.

It was always going to flip. It's a musical. A fucking Musical. These studios executives are idiots.

I do like the base idea of a massive fuck you to the incels who adopted the original.
But they did over do it a bit and went into a "and basically everyone else too" with that.
██████
██████
██████

Oexmelin

A lot of my film academic friends seem to like the film. Wouldn't be the first time critics and public disagree.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Josephus

Speaking of The Joker. Enjoying The Penguin. 3rd episode was a bit hard to watch at times, but really enjoying it.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 14, 2024, 02:55:40 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 14, 2024, 02:15:26 PMThat's the CW but is it true?
One year, I recall that two movies came out that were both period pictures about turn-of-the-century European stage magicians.  I think they both did very nicely at the box office.
Maybe not. It could well be overstated.

Although the ones that spring to mind for me are Braveheart and Roby Roy, the two Capote films and the two Steve Jobs films - and feel like in all those case there was a definite winner and loser.

But it is also very, very possible that Kubrick just went into an obsessive spiral :lol:

Armageddon / Deep Impact
A Bug's Life / Antz

both come to mind.

Actually, as I was trying to think of more examples, I whole Wiki topic came up for me, listing way, way more examples than I would have realized.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_films

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 14, 2024, 02:15:26 PMOne year, I recall that two movies came out that were both period pictures about turn-of-the-century European stage magicians.  I think they both did very nicely at the box office.
It was 2006. The Prestige (Bale, Jackman, Johansson, Caine) and The Illusionist (Norton, Biel, Giamatti, Sewell). I quite enjoyed both and they were different enough in tone and style to do fairly well at the box office. I'd like to give them another viewing some day and see if they still hold up.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Admiral Yi

Then there were the underwater movies of 89.  The Abyss is the one I saw.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 17, 2024, 04:51:32 PMThen there were the underwater movies of 89.  The Abyss is the one I saw.
Deep Star Six and Leviathan.  The Abyss was a bit more high concept than the other two.
PDH!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 17, 2024, 06:34:23 PMDeep Star Six and Leviathan.  The Abyss was a bit more high concept than the other two.

Which one had the tits and Navy Seals?  That's the one I saw.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on October 17, 2024, 10:39:11 AMArmageddon / Deep Impact
A Bug's Life / Antz

both come to mind.
Yes! I weirdly watched a Bug's Life and Antz recently on exactly this point and remember thinking the wrong film won but I also can't remember which one that is :lol:

Less invested in Armageddon/Deep Impact :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 17, 2024, 04:51:32 PMThen there were the underwater movies of 89.  The Abyss is the one I saw.

And I also recall a synchronized spurt of Christopher Columbus biopic films in the early 90s.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 17, 2024, 07:54:52 PM

And I also recall a synchronized spurt of Christopher Columbus biopic films in the early 90s.

Yeah, I was trying to remember the names of the two movies - did they both start with 1492:

Tonitrus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 17, 2024, 08:02:08 PM

Yeah, I was trying to remember the names of the two movies - did they both start with 1492:

1492: Conquest of Paradise
Christopher Columbus: The Discovery

Both in '92.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 17, 2024, 08:10:34 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 17, 2024, 08:02:08 PM

1492: Conquest of Paradise
Christopher Columbus: The Discovery

Both in '92.

:thumbsup: