News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Nearly done Kaos. It is quite good. Though is making me feel bad about how I'm so old that I have forgotten the most basic stuff about Greek mythology. Lots of Wikipedia journeys off the back of a watch..
It is a nice lesson on the general "fanficcy" nature of mythologies.

I didn't realise it was a British production. I guess I'm just so used to lots of Brits in American stuff. The general "feel" of the show is very American somehow, not just the setting but... I dunno. Does American TV do something special with cameras?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Watched Midway.  Not terrible, except the CGI explosions.  And the tracers.

Josephus

Salem's lot. The new one

Shit

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Reptile. Cop investigates murder. The plot in itself is nothing special, but great execution. I was entertained all the way through.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

I watched the first episode of Ludwig. It's quite good.

I've always liked the one character David Mitchell always plays - it's clearly not just authentic him, the guy got through the cambridge interviews, joined the footlights and became a succesful comedian. Not what a proper socially awkward curmugeon does.

Anyway. In this he plays that part as a guy who lives alone making puzzles for a living but whose identical twin brother is a detective. As can be expected when twins are involved he has to impersonate him.
Puzzle guy as cop I mean.
Just once I'd like to see the reverse with the exciting twin forced to imitate the dull twin...
Hilarity ensues.

Also the man himself hasn't shown up but we've seen a photo of his cop partner and it's Carl pilkington.
So yes. Quite good.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Started on Those About To Die. I was surprised by the Elder Scroll. Nice crossover.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on October 11, 2024, 02:13:10 AMStarted on Those About To Die. I was surprised by the Elder Scroll. Nice crossover.

Oh my gawd SO BORING

Also I wonder if the slaves going everywhere they please including and especially other families' homes is historically accurate. Same question about the Nubian matriarch pwning the Romans in math and stuff.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on October 11, 2024, 02:59:14 AMSame question about the Nubian matriarch pwning the Romans in math and stuff.

Over the course of the Roman Empire, it only happened XIV times.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

The Age of the Medici (1973)

A three part television show, originally released on RAI, directed by Roberto Rossellini.  It's not really great cinema; every scene is done in a single long take (although the camera does move) and the characters explain things solely for the benefit of the audience at points.  He also does the Barry Lyndon thing, where he has the characters imitate poses from paintings of the era; only they hold the poses for extended periods of time while conversing so it looks awkward.  Still the costuming and the settings are fantastic.  Rossellini had envisioned this as a didactic film and, by that standard, I think it succeeds.  I'd use this if I were teaching a course on the Renaissance (huzzah!).
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 13, 2024, 11:29:46 AMThe Substance. Loved it :lol: :ph34r:

Can't wait to see it, but it's getting released in very few theaters here, and none close to me.

A local streamer has the distribution rights, so I guess they are doing a half-assed release out of contractual obligation.

Sheilbh

Ah shit - that's really annoying.

Unfortunately think it is probably a film worth seeing in a cinema if you can :(
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 13, 2024, 11:29:46 AMThe Substance. Loved it :lol: :ph34r:

Love feels too strong given it is too long.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Maybe - I suppose it depends where you think the cut should be. A few people leaving the cinema enjoyed the first half and then thought it all got a bit too much. I maybe lean the other way. I think there's bit's in the middle about Sue's life that could have cut a little bit (or just done lots of Requiem for a Dream style cuts like they did elsewhere).
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

I just thought too long in general. Not the gore at the end, just I could have got what I needed in a run time of a black mirror episode. Maybe I'd agree middle was the part to trim as by then we knew where it was inevitably headed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.