News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on February 21, 2024, 03:34:53 PMI mean it was fine as a book - but when talking about movies you've now (mostly) lost your lead character and you're on to the kids story.  Plus it gets weird when Leto merges with a sandworm.
And Hollywood'll be cowards if we don't see it :contract:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on February 21, 2024, 03:22:27 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 21, 2024, 03:04:00 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on February 21, 2024, 02:19:22 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 21, 2024, 01:03:22 PMI specifically held back on watching Dune 1.  It annoyed me they split it in two with no firms plan for a sequel.

Then once they announced the sequel I held back until it was out.

I think it's time I watch the first one now.

Word is they've already greenlit Dune Messiah too.

Imagine if Dune Messiah makes a gazillion and they greenlight all the increasingly nutty books that follow :D

Pretty sure they'd be best to stop after Dune Messiah...

The director has said he just plans a trilogy.

Though if they're a success I do wonder whether someone else will try to do the others in some way. Which could be painful.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

If it makes enough money Hollywood just won't be able to control itself.

crazy canuck

Heretics of Dune was my favourite book in the series

FunkMonk

In this crazy hellworld timeline at least we get to see Dune be a major box office success with critically acclaimed films :cry:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

I've mentioned this before but when I saw Dune, I didn't know it was a two-parter. I remember looking at my watch with about 20 minutes left, thinking "fuck they're gonna rush the ending"
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 21, 2024, 08:02:39 PMIn this crazy hellworld timeline at least we get to see Dune be a major box office success with critically acclaimed films :cry:

Let's reexamine the issue in a few years when Hollywood has IP-ed this to death and ruined it somehow :D

Now, seriously, if Hollywood tries to franchise this in the Hollywood way (and with capes beginning to fail, they are desperate to find new franchises), it can be truely surreal. Can't wait for the Leto and Ghanima cartoon.

Sheilbh

I for one am very much looking forward to Sting's origin story :contract:
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 22, 2024, 02:46:45 PMI for one am very much looking forward to Sting's origin story :contract:

I, for one, would quite watch a Dune movie where Sting makes some kind of return or cameo.  Obviously not at Feyd-Rautha, but I'm sure they could fit him in somewhere.

Same goes for Kyle MacLachlan now that I think about it.

I understand why for Dune 1 they would hardly want to bring up Lynch's Dune, but for a Dune 3?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

A thought.
If Dune 2 does as well at the box office as with reviewers....
Considering foundation seems to be doing OK for apple too.
Will we see more mid 20th century Sci fi adaptations?
What next?
Martian Chronicles? Lensman?

Quote from: Barrister on February 22, 2024, 03:15:22 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 22, 2024, 02:46:45 PMI for one am very much looking forward to Sting's origin story :contract:

I, for one, would quite watch a Dune movie where Sting makes some kind of return or cameo.  Obviously not at Feyd-Rautha, but I'm sure they could fit him in somewhere.

I understand why for Dune 1 they would hardly want to bring up Lynch's Dune, but for a Dune 3?
Maybe. Or is it 4.
The bit where things get trippy and Paul (or was it leto) sees all the time lines.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Josquius on February 22, 2024, 03:19:30 PMA thought.
If Dune 2 does as well at the box office as with reviewers....
Considering foundation seems to be doing OK for apple too.
Will we see more mid 20th century Sci fi adaptations?
What next?
Martian Chronicles? Lensman?

Quote from: Barrister on February 22, 2024, 03:15:22 PM

Maybe. Or is it 4.
The bit where things get trippy and Paul (or was it leto) sees all the time lines.

Villeneuve is doing Rendezvous with Rama next (and that book has no real plot). If that somehow succeeds...

Looks like it's time to prepare my The Stars My Destination pitch...

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on February 22, 2024, 03:25:48 PMLooks like it's time to prepare my The Stars My Destination pitch...

If they're doing Bester, they should do The Demolished Man
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

The SF movie I want to see done is The Mote in God's Eye.  The best treatment of an actually alien culture I've read.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

Aliens are too alien. It'd be a cgi eyesore. Agree it's a great story though.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.