News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 22, 2021, 02:23:20 PM
The Wheel of time is not medieval, a common misconception, it is post-apocalyptic.

It's a wheel of time, so both post-apocalyptic and pre-apocalyptic.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Solmyr

So far, I'm really enjoying Dexter: New Blood. It's very much like the early seasons.

Josquius

Quote from: Berkut on November 22, 2021, 07:22:12 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 22, 2021, 03:13:51 PM
Many times I've mentioned this is one of my big Sci fi and fantasy pet peeves.
Small village of 1000 people completely isolated from outsiders for 1000 years?
Yet....everyone is white except for one black extra.
Sure sure. Genes can hide in the background before popping out unexpectedly.... But really it's just crap casting of extras. They didn't think about it logically.

Black Anne Boleyn or Asian Russian nobles on the other hand I'm fine with. World building isn't at the core of what these shows are doing. They're about the characters and race blind casting is a valid choice.

I don't think the idea is that any of them are actually white or black or asian. They are just characters, and their identity, personality, and story is not more relevant to their ethnicity then their hair or eye color or whether they are tall or short.

Just ignore it.

They aren't characters. They're set dressing. And just as worthy of note as Romans wearing Rolexes.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Squid Game notes: I agree with Tyr. The Korean version of marbles is pretty shitty.

How did you play it in your countries? Over here, the goal was to use your marble to first have it land inside a designed hole on the ground (or ring drawn on the floor), and then use your marble to strike the opponents' marbles several times and in several fashions (depended on the variant of the game played) and then have your marble land again inside the hole. First player to do it won everybody else's marbles (if you played "true", you could also play "false" and no marbles were bet).

Josquius

I remember it being pretty much bowls.
Roll one as a jack and then take turns to roll yours to try and get closest to the jack, knocking opponents marbles away, defending your position etc....
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on November 22, 2021, 03:13:51 PM
Many times I've mentioned this is one of my big Sci fi and fantasy pet peeves.
Small village of 1000 people completely isolated from outsiders for 1000 years?
Yet....everyone is white except for one black extra.
Sure sure. Genes can hide in the background before popping out unexpectedly.... But really it's just crap casting of extras. They didn't think about it logically.

Visit Brazil. Wildly different phenotypes pop up in the same family and it's not because of adultery.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 22, 2021, 02:23:20 PM
The Wheel of time is not medieval, a common misconception, it is post-apocalyptic.
True, but the tech level in the series is generally 1700ish sans gunpowder.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

So where are the clocks and the spectacles? It looks pretty medieval.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Why don't they use gunpowder?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on November 23, 2021, 03:36:13 AM
Squid Game notes: I agree with Tyr. The Korean version of marbles is pretty shitty.

How did you play it in your countries? Over here, the goal was to use your marble to first have it land inside a designed hole on the ground (or ring drawn on the floor), and then use your marble to strike the opponents' marbles several times and in several fashions (depended on the variant of the game played) and then have your marble land again inside the hole. First player to do it won everybody else's marbles (if you played "true", you could also play "false" and no marbles were bet).

Matches my memories, with bigger marbles having sometimes a special role or more value.

Josephus

Quote from: Solmyr on November 23, 2021, 01:47:38 AM
So far, I'm really enjoying Dexter: New Blood. It's very much like the early seasons.

It's watchable. It's predictable. You know where it's leading. But yeah, it's watchable.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on November 23, 2021, 03:36:13 AM

Hmmm...it's been a while. I remember something like:

Four marbles in a square (two from each player).
Then we each had a bigger marble which we used to knock out the marbles from the square. You kept the marbles you knocked out of the square. there may have been rules like your big marble had to clear the square for it to count, etc.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: The Brain on November 23, 2021, 05:52:20 AM
Because only a small guild had access to the recipe, and they would kill themselves before revealing it.  It was put into general use later in the books.
PDH!

The Brain

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 23, 2021, 07:36:37 AM
Quote from: The Brain on November 23, 2021, 05:52:20 AM
Because only a small guild had access to the recipe, and they would kill themselves before revealing it.  It was put into general use later in the books.

Good. Good.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.