News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

FunkMonk

Watched all of Veep. Would watch a whole other show based on Peter MacNichol's Uncle Jeff  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Eddie Teach

Alias Grace, based on a book by Auntie Malthus based on a real life 19th century murder. It's worth a watch.

Threviel

Mary, queen of scots.

Now, apparently there is an ongoing discussion where a non-deaf actor played a deaf character in The stand. This annoyed me when I read it and made me irritated with todays woke crowd. In this movie there are people of all colours playing characters that can only have been white. This annoyed me when I saw it and made me irritated with todays woke crowd.

Thinking about this I got irritated. Damn wokes.

Also, it was dull and I turned it off quite quickly.

mongers

Quote from: Threviel on December 19, 2020, 01:53:31 PM
Mary, queen of scots.

Now, apparently there is an ongoing discussion where a non-deaf actor played a deaf character in The stand. This annoyed me when I read it and made me irritated with todays woke crowd. In this movie there are people of all colours playing characters that can only have been white. This annoyed me when I saw it and made me irritated with todays woke crowd.

For you is the colour of their skin one of The most important facts about these historical figures?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

I think he's complaining about the double standard.

Threviel

Made me think about my own hypocrisy. I want historical correctness, a chinese individual in a context where there could be no chinese people annoys me. Not so deaf people. Conundrum needing more thought.

Josquius

Quote from: Threviel on December 19, 2020, 01:53:31 PM
Mary, queen of scots.

The reasoning is that deaf people will do a pretty awful job playing non deaf roles so it really is stealing what little work there is for them to cast hearing actors in deaf parts.
Which isn't without merit.

This Mary Queen of Scots film is quite odd in casting race blind. It isn't the norm and there's no serious push to make it so. I've never seen it but I don't think it was trying to be very historic.

What annoys me more is when stuff is clearly trying to world build rather than just tell a character story and you have say stargate with the Chinese goauld who only bothers to get an East Asian top henchman and fills the ranks with white guys, or star trek when they come to a planet cut off from everyone else for 500 years and home to only a few hundred people.... But has a random black guy in the background.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

I would love a good film about Mary Queen of Scots and I don't know if we've had one yet.

She's the one slight obsession I have from the Tudor period because I moved high schools/systems/countries when I was 14/5. And I distinctly remember doing a unit on Mary Queen of Scots in Scotland in one year and then a unit on Elizabeth I in England the next and the wildly different takes have always intrigued me since. Don't know if you could do a film that actually captures that but would be interesting.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Brooklyn 99 season 7.

Holt: I'm off to walk my beat again, much like Sisyphus, condemned to push the same boulder up the same hill day in and day out.
Terry: You know, according to French philosopher Albert Camus, Sisyphus achieved happiness in that absurd repetition.
Holt: Any French philosophy post-Rousseau is essentially a magazine.

:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on December 19, 2020, 02:54:20 PM

The reasoning is that deaf people will do a pretty awful job playing non deaf roles so it really is stealing what little work there is for them to cast hearing actors in deaf parts.
Which isn't without merit.

It's about as hard for a deaf person to play a deaf person on-set as a hearing person, I think.  Other than voice modulation issues for the congenitally deaf, the issue for a deaf person is that so many cues on a stage are audible ones. Marlee Matlin is deaf (20% hearing in one ear), won an academy award, and has played hearing characters, so the deaf can clearly do the job.

Having said that, I think that there is a definite case for arguing that hearing actors simply cannot grasp what all it means to be deaf, and so cannot play deaf characters as well as deaf people can.  Their reaction to seeing things that they couldn't ear approaching, for instance, would be difficult to coach into a hearing actor.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Threviel

I don't care if the movie is trying to be fantasy in history, say Sherlock Holmes or A Knights Tale. When everything else and the tone is historical the things that stick out as ahistorical grates me.

I need to think about this.

grumbler

Quote from: Threviel on December 19, 2020, 03:37:34 PM
I don't care if the movie is trying to be fantasy in history, say Sherlock Holmes or A Knights Tale. When everything else and the tone is historical the things that stick out as ahistorical grates me.

I need to think about this.

I'd agree that, of a film is trying to be historical, it should avoid ahistorical characters and props/settings as much as possible (use the most WW2-like tanks or ships, for instance, in a WW2 historical drama), but all bets are off for historical fiction.  A black archer in Robin Hood's gang doesn't bother me, nor does a  T6 Texan playing a A6M Zero  getting ready to attack USS Nimitz.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Yeah - I mean for me I'm very relaxed about it in general and race only really matters if that is part of the story.

But I'm a big fan of Shakespeare's history plays and have seen all of them on the stage where you will get actors of all places playing different parts because there is an awareness that it is fiction and performance in theatre. Personally I feel the same way about historical fiction/adaptations. And I feel like the history plays, like modern film versions, say more about our times than any truth about the period they're depicting.

I'm more annoyed by anachronistic characters that don't feel right in the setting or detract from the drama, and bad design choices. I think you either choose sort of abstract "past" setting (McKellen's Richard III, Taymor's Titus Andronicus spring to mind) or you choose a time and a place (Kapoor's Elizabeth).
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

Quote from: Syt on December 19, 2020, 03:25:46 PM
Brooklyn 99 season 7.

Holt: I'm off to walk my beat again, much like Sisyphus, condemned to push the same boulder up the same hill day in and day out.
Terry: You know, according to French philosopher Albert Camus, Sisyphus achieved happiness in that absurd repetition.
Holt: Any French philosophy post-Rousseau is essentially a magazine.

:lol:

:D

Can't wait for season 7 to become available here.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk