And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 15, 2020, 07:36:06 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2020, 07:26:51 PM
I didn't like her.  She was a social climbing ditz who didn't take the job seriously.
She was daugher of an Earl - standard sort of level for a traditional marrying into the royal family.

Interesting though. I've always read her as far more deliberate/clever than the rest of them - she knew how to use the media at a time when none of them did.

Agree.  Though being more clever than the bulk of the Mountbatten-Windsors isn't a very high bar.  It's a family where the women had all the brains.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Liep

The Queen's Gambit. Excellent stuff, it also gives me high hopes for that Furiosa prequel.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on November 15, 2020, 10:08:07 PM
that Furiosa prequel.

Wait what  :o

Just googled it, I'd missed the news of Taylor-Joy being cast, I thought that project was completely dead.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 15, 2020, 07:36:06 PM
I didn't like her.  She was a social climbing ditz who didn't take the job seriously.
She was daugher of an Earl - standard sort of level for a traditional marrying into the royal family.

Interesting though. I've always read her as far more deliberate/clever than the rest of them - she knew how to use the media at a time when none of them did.

I'm with Yi, I'm not sure why we are supposed to find her at all interesting...besides perhaps the emotional dam she broke for England.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Only a couple episodes in, but so far their portrayal seems like that of being innocent-seeming (stealing a reference I heard once..."so innocent that you wouldn't trust her near a hayloft) who secretly loves the paparazzi attention.

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 16, 2020, 03:55:56 AM
Only a couple episodes in, but so far their portrayal seems like that of being innocent-seeming (stealing a reference I heard once..."so innocent that you wouldn't trust her near a hayloft) who secretly loves the paparazzi attention.

I've only seen the first episode and was struck by how bold she was.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 15, 2020, 07:25:06 PM
:lol: Any reason why?

I think I'll read your future tweets with this mental picture of you.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on November 16, 2020, 03:38:25 AM
I'm with Yi, I'm not sure why we are supposed to find her at all interesting...besides perhaps the emotional dam she broke for England.
It's a show about the Royal family. If we can suspend disbelief enough to find them interesting, then Di will be fascinating :P
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 16, 2020, 09:06:49 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 16, 2020, 03:38:25 AM
It's a show about the Royal family. If we can suspend disbelief enough to find them interesting, then Di will be fascinating :P

I meant in general. :P

The Brain

Arbitrage. Hedge fund manager Richard Gere is under pressure on several fronts. Totally OK. The daughter is hot.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Add to the list of how odd you are.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Larch on November 16, 2020, 08:40:03 AM

I think I'll read your future tweets with this mental picture of you.

Perfect.

Malthus

I was reading a book on the battle of Blenheim I picked up on a whim when I was surprised to discover that the author was the brother of Princess Di. He's quite good at writing readable popular history books!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

For the un-Spanish among you, the pic Larchie posted belongs to the editor of Spain's musty, old-fashioned, pro-monarchy newspaper.

Eddie Teach

Kinda strange that CC would know that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?