News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Hmm. I am disappointed in the film viewing audience. Or was the money made in china? can I blame china? i'd be ok with that :D

But I guess I shouldn't be surprised, things go in cycles. a bunch of hollywood movies are just remakes 9even some of their great movies)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

Quote from: HVC on July 08, 2019, 10:01:11 AM
have their remakes done well? Uhm, there beauty and the beast, dumbo, Aladdin, am I missing anything? haven't they all been lackluster? Are they gonna stop or just keep plowing through?

They seem to be doing pretty well. Just plucked this from wiki (in millions of dollars):

- Cinderella. 100 million $ budget, 543 million $ at the box office
- Jungle Book: 177/966.
- Beauty & the Beast: 255/1264.
- Mary Poppins Returns: 130/350.
- Dumbo: 170/350.
- Aladdin: 183/921.

Upcoming remakes, spin offs and sundry: computer animated Lion King, live action Lady and the Tramp (exclusively for their upcoming VOD service), live action Mulan, Cruella (101 Dalmatians spin off focusing on the origins of Cruella de Vil, to be played by Emma Stone), a Maleficent sequel and the live action Little Mermaid.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on July 08, 2019, 10:01:48 AM
Also, regarding Disney still making good films, I liked Zootopia quite a bit.

Zootopia was great, I also liked Coco. But the new is few and far between in their line-up, compared to how many they make.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on July 08, 2019, 10:09:38 AM
Hmm. I am disappointed in the film viewing audience. Or was the money made in china? can I blame china? i'd be ok with that :D

But I guess I shouldn't be surprised, things go in cycles. a bunch of hollywood movies are just remakes 9even some of their great movies)

Movies in general are losing out in terms of originality to TV, have been for years.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

frunk

Quote from: Malthus on July 08, 2019, 10:16:07 AM

Zootopia was great, I also liked Coco. But the new is few and far between in their line-up, compared to how many they make.

Coco was Pixar.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on July 08, 2019, 10:17:45 AM
Quote from: HVC on July 08, 2019, 10:09:38 AM

Movies in general are losing out in terms of originality to TV, have been for years.

I think the streaming services and their competition for exclusive shows is slowly strangling the gold age of TV. Golden gooses will be flogged to death.

But hey, just like with movies, plenty of good stuff will still be made and really that is they only thing that really gets remembered.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: frunk on July 08, 2019, 10:19:36 AM

Coco was Pixar.

Isn't Pixar owned by Disney though?

dps

Quote from: Malthus on July 08, 2019, 09:59:00 AM

I can't wait for the live action uncanny valley grotesque that will be Pinocchio.  :lol:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/tom-hanks-play-geppetto-disneys-live-action-pinocchio-1164553

Interestingly, IMDB says that Roberto Benigni is playing Geppetto.  At least they aren't letting him play Pinocchio this time.

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on July 08, 2019, 10:28:26 AM
Quote from: frunk on July 08, 2019, 10:19:36 AM

Coco was Pixar.

They have lots of creative control, same for Marvel. Lucasfilm they keep on a shorter leash.

Valmy

Yes. That is why Pixar produces so much sequel garbage.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

Marvel Studios (particularly the MCU) and Pixar have a lot of freedom compared to the rest of the Disney empire, so there's usually a distinction drawn between the two.

Admiral Yi

Watched The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.  The Cohens certainly like to get their weird on once in a while.

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2019, 11:59:17 AM
Watched The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.  The Cohens certainly like to get their weird on once in a while.

I seem to recall once that either they or some of their friends commented that they make Hollywood movies that make tons of money so that, every once in a while, they can make something insane and indulgent that they really like.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2019, 10:36:08 AM

Yes. That is why Pixar produces so much sequel garbage.

They are one of the few studios (actually, maybe the only one*) that routinely come up with great original material though. Coco was great, and there are no sequels (yet) in their upcoming schedule. I see the sequels as sure-fire cash grabs to keep the Disney people happy.

*There's Laika too. Some of their films are great (in particular, I loved Kubo & the two strings), but they all fail commercially.

frunk

There's Studio Ghibli, although I suppose you could quibble over the routinely part.