News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Caught half of a documentary about Walt Disney, I hadn't realised what a creative genius he was.

Maybe I should watch some of his early films I've missed seeing?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

From Prada to Nada (2011).  Two rich, de-racinated Mexican American girls end up penniless when they're father dies.  They go to live with their aunt in el barrio of East LA, where they discover the joys of their rich heritage  while hooking up with hott guys.  Huge chunks of this movie don't make any sense but I imagine it didn't matter to the target audience of upwardly mobile 2nd generation Mexican Americans.

The kid from That 70s Show is one of the hott guys.

This is a pretty bad movie and only one of the sisters is cute.

Habbaku

Quote from: Savonarola on February 13, 2019, 02:13:20 PM
The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part (2019)

This had its moments, and some great gags; but overall it was probably a little too self referential and "Meta" for its own good.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as the first (and, of course, nowhere near as good as Lego Batman.)

Ditto. Worth the watch, and the music (by Jon Lajoie) was great, but overall pretty below its predecessor.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Savonarola

Quote from: mongers on February 13, 2019, 02:18:37 PM
Caught half of a documentary about Walt Disney, I hadn't realised what a creative genius he was.

Definitely; the "Silly Symphony" cartoons are all amazing.  If you haven't yet see "The Old Mill," "The Three Little Pigs," and "Skeleton Dance" to start with.

(From the time the "Best Animated Short Film" Oscar began (1931) until 1939 Walt Disney won every year.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on February 13, 2019, 02:18:37 PM

If you are interested in early animation, don't miss Disney's great competitor, Fleischer Studios. Psychedelic before there was psychedelic!  :lol:

I particularly like Swing, You Sinners. Steal a chicken, get attacked by horrifying Jazz Demons and dragged off to some sort of cocaine-fueled hell!

Bimbo's Initiation is simply the product of a diseased mind, but hilariously weird.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b8isnhYMjg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFrBG4xyaF8
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

In the early 30's Fleischer was ahead of Disney in a lot of areas.  They were the first to be able to do pan shots, synchronize movement to music and rotoscope.  Like Malthus said, a lot of their pre-Code work was one of a kind.  After the Production Code was more strictly enforced (1934) they had to tone it down quite a bit.  Some of their later work is good (Popeye and especially the 40s era Superman) but nowhere near as radical as the pre-Code Betty Boop.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

frunk

Alita: Battle Angel is much better than I expected.  The Rodriguez/Cameron combination worked surprisingly well.  The acting fit and the adaptation caught the spirit of the manga in a PG-13 format even if the exact beats were altered.  Most of the scenes changed or added compared to the manga didn't feel clunky and worked to either compress or better tell the story.

Movie Spoilers:

Jennifer Connelly as [spoiler]Doc Ido's ex-wife and Vector's current squeeze[/spoiler] felt completely unnecessary.  That might be me projecting on her part not being in the manga.  Her [spoiler]getting shipped off to Zalem/Tiphares as parts[/spoiler] was a nice touch though.

I didn't like that Hugo [spoiler]repented of his crimes before the end[/spoiler].

Manga Spoilers:

The movie focuses primarily on Books 1 and 2 of the Manga, and cribs bits of Books 3 and 4 for the Motorball to replace and expand the gladiator section from Book 1.  It works fine, although if they do a sequel I'll be pissed if they skip over too much of the actual Motorball stories.

Hugo's backstory of [spoiler]his brother getting killed by a hunter/warrior and the desire to fly[/spoiler] was sorely missed.  His couple of [spoiler]freakout scenes when finding out the truth about Zalem/Tiphares[/spoiler] were also chopped.  They had an opportunity to fit both into the movie but didn't.  Combined with the movie spoiler above it leaves him as too much of a milquetoast pretty boy rather than a flawed and complex character.

Mukaku/Grewishka also lost almost all of his backstory of [spoiler]living in the sewers and becoming what he is with the help of Nova[/spoiler].  It sucked not seeing him [spoiler]writhing around as a giant freaky snake[/spoiler] although at least there is one sequence where his [spoiler]snake body is shown[/spoiler].

Admiral Yi

Isn't Atlantic City supposed to be a classic?  I just watched maybe 30 minutes and I don't get it.  Bad 70s production values, uninteresting dialogue, uninteresting characters, plodding plot.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2019, 03:09:17 AM
Isn't Atlantic City supposed to be a classic?  I just watched maybe 30 minutes and I don't get it.  Bad 70s production values, uninteresting dialogue, uninteresting characters, plodding plot.

So, your average 70s drama movie? :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

Watched Bumblebee finally.  I really liked it.  I can almost forget the Bay atrocities never existed.  The 80's vibe was solid, the throwbacks to the original series/toy appearances, and it was overall just fun.  There are now officially two Transformers movies!
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2019, 03:09:17 AM

I like it... the film has a very naturalistic approach and very little plot. So I can see why it wouldn't be everybody's cup of tea.

Josephus

Hereditary. Meh ... expected more.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Titans - I watched way too much Castle to buy Detective Ryan as the big bad.  :P

Anyway, I'll watch season 2. The show has potential when they don't try to be too emo, and it certainly feels different to the rest of the DC TV fare.

Now I hope Doom Patrol turns out decent, it's one of my favorite comic books.

Eddie Teach

Medici. I liked it.
Spoiler alert:

Sean Bean dies.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 17, 2019, 04:13:25 AM
Watched Bumblebee finally.  I really liked it.  I can almost forget the Bay atrocities never existed.  The 80's vibe was solid, the throwbacks to the original series/toy appearances, and it was overall just fun.  There are now officially two Transformers movies!

Yeah I really liked it. Not sure we need more Transformers movies but hey I am now cautiously optimistic that if we do get some more they might be entertaining.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."