News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: garbon on February 18, 2019, 07:04:38 PM
Jessica Jones and Punisher finally got the chop.
It was only a matter of time.  A damn shame things had to go down like they did. :(
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

viper37

Quote from: fromtia on February 18, 2019, 06:01:22 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 18, 2019, 05:39:30 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on February 18, 2019, 05:23:51 PM
(the badass female assassin,
What was the role of Zhora Salome in the first movie?

Some sort of Space-Stripper Kung-Fu Death Squad Hotstress.
in other words, badass female assassin.  ;)

Thank you! :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2019, 07:27:55 PM
The Lynch version worked around that problem by introducing retardo sound guns, which undercut a major plot point of the book.
yeah, sonic tanks were better :(

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

fromtia

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2019, 06:53:12 PM
Dune might be an unfilmable book.  But I look forward to the effort.

Yes, I think so too. it's interesting that people keep trying to make it a movie. I think with any movie of a book you just have to accept early on that it is going to be an inherently very different piece of work than the book. How could it not be? But one hopes that it capture the spirit of the book in the broadest sense like say, LOTR managed to do.*

I loved Lynchs version, sincerely despite the clusterfuck nature of it. The sci-fi channel miniseries I hated, thought it was pedestrian. Jodorowskys fabled version is a marvel but doubt it would have had much to do with the book. I think Villeneuve can pull it off. He did a lovely job with Aliens who experience time differently than us and the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis and there's plenty of depth to Sicario, which is on the surface a drug thriller. I have high hopes.

* I have the usual nerd heavy issues with jacksons movies. But I love them.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on February 18, 2019, 08:34:16 PM
Quote from: fromtia on February 18, 2019, 06:01:22 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 18, 2019, 05:39:30 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on February 18, 2019, 05:23:51 PM
(the badass female assassin,
What was the role of Zhora Salome in the first movie?

Some sort of Space-Stripper Kung-Fu Death Squad Hotstress.
in other words, badass female assassin.  ;)

Thank you! :P

Something can be innovative in 1984 and cliche now.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Oexmelin

Zhora Salome is also a minor antagonist, with very little screen time, compared to Luv. Salome's storyline is almost entirely tangential - the point it makes is much larger than the hunt. Luv's storyline is weirdly more actiony-cliché.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: fromtia on February 18, 2019, 08:47:37 PM
Yes, I think so too. it's interesting that people keep trying to make it a movie. I think with any movie of a book you just have to accept early on that it is going to be an inherently very different piece of work than the book. How could it not be? But one hopes that it capture the spirit of the book in the broadest sense like say, LOTR managed to do.*
* I have the usual nerd heavy issues with jacksons movies. But I love them.
A lot of my biggest issues with the Jackson LotR films are solely on his decisions as a director/he and those who made changes in the story for no apparent reason and not the fault of the medium.  See:  Cartoon Legolas action, Army of the Dead at the Pelenor, elves at Helms Deep, cutting important scenes in RotK's theatrical release, and some others.  I had no problem with Bombadil and the Barrow Downs getting axed.  Same goes for the Scouring of the Shire.  Both would have been cool, but the addition of both probably would have brought it to 4 movies.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

celedhring

Looking forward the new Dune movie, too. Hopefully third is the charm. I happen to have a very fond spot for the Lynch effort though, which manages to be both great and terrible at the same time.

The Larch

For better or worse, the Lynch version of Dune gave us the mental picture of the characters and setting, Sting in diapers and all. One has to wonder about the aborted Jodorowski version, that would have been really trippy.

Tamas

I've only recently watched the Lynch movie shortly after finishing Dune (audiobook).

I think the Lynch movie version should be insulting to fans of the book. It is quite clear that Lynch did not care for the book or the messages it tried to convey at all, and just wanted to do the stuff that was in his head at the time. Which is perfectly fine normally, but not when he is supposedly covering somebody else's work. IIRC he retrospectively hated his own work as well.

frunk

An Oral History of Office Space

Favorite bit:

QuoteNaidu: One time I was standing out for this audition in New York, and this big, scary-looking Goodfellas dude across the way at a cigar shop was like, "Hey, come over here." I was like, "Oh shit, what's going on?" He brought me in and there were all these rough-ass dudes like, "Ohh, it's him." He was like, "Shut up, guys. Listen, I just want to tell you, kid, we think the way you did the printer was very authentic. You need anything ever, you just come see us." Doing that scene did have fringe benefits in my real life.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2019, 06:53:12 PM
Dune might be an unfilmable book.  But I look forward to the effort.

I loved the mini-series. I might be in the minority on that though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

fromtia

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 19, 2019, 02:36:06 AM
A lot of my biggest issues with the Jackson LotR films are solely on his decisions as a director/he and those who made changes in the story for no apparent reason and not the fault of the medium.  See:  Cartoon Legolas action, Army of the Dead at the Pelenor, elves at Helms Deep, cutting important scenes in RotK's theatrical release, and some others.  I had no problem with Bombadil and the Barrow Downs getting axed.  Same goes for the Scouring of the Shire.  Both would have been cool, but the addition of both probably would have brought it to 4 movies.

I don't have any issues with the lack of many extended sequences of singing in Jacksons LOTR, or the lack of Tom Bombadil, or expanding Arwen into a full blown character (political correctness gone mad!) but the big three for me are;

*The army of the dead saving the day at Pellenor Fields- forgot Tolkiens message of hope saving the day as Aragorn unfurls his banner, nope we found an atom bomb under this mountain.
*The Witch King throwing Gandalf on the ground and breaking his staff. Fuck off.
* Super Legolas.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Valmy

What about the cheesy deal where Merry and Pippin have to trick the Ents into attacking Saruman?

I mean don't get me wrong, I loved that trilogy but yeah Jackson's attempts to improvise new stuff was a little rough...and obviously that was a warning of things to come in The Hobbit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 19, 2019, 02:36:06 AM
cutting important scenes in RotK's theatrical release, and some others. 
You really, really wanted to sit for 5h30 straight without moving to watch a movie?