News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: 11B4V on February 11, 2019, 03:39:26 PM
Watching The Four Feathers (1939). Better than the 2002 version.

:thumbsup:

The cinematography, especially in the Africa scenes is gorgeous. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

Local arthouse cinema (Gartenbau, one of the biggest screens/theaters in Vienna) shows Bertolucci's 1900 next Sunday ... the 317 minute cut, starting at noon.

I'm tempted, but I'm also not sure if it's worth the time investment.  :hmm: :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on February 11, 2019, 05:05:53 PM
Local arthouse cinema (Gartenbau, one of the biggest screens/theaters in Vienna) shows Bertolucci's 1900 next Sunday ... the 317 minute cut, starting at noon.

I'm tempted, but I'm also not sure if it's worth the time investment.  :hmm: :lol:

Is there a shorter version? Anyway, I'd say no. It's the kind of film better watched at home, during several sittings.

EDIT: I see, some yank-only butchery.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Ging-noem? What's that about?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

Admiral Yi

Where did you pick it up?

Eddie Teach

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 12, 2019, 12:23:26 AM
What's that about?
17th century Korea.

The crown prince is the son of a concubine.

His young step mother the queen is 8 months pregnant. Her father is a powerful minister in the King's court.

The King is "dying".

The minister gets a sketchy doctor to give the dead king a ground up ressurection flower.

The result, a chained up zombie king. They need to make it seem like he's alive until the queen hopefully gives birth to a son.

Things don't go to plan.

Show is half Game of Thrones, half World War Z.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 12, 2019, 03:41:10 AM
What's that about?
17th century Korea.

His young step mother the queen is 8 months pregnant. Her father is a powerful minister in the King's court.

The King is "dying".

The minister gets a sketchy doctor to give the dead king a ground up ressurection flower.

The result, a chained up zombie king. They need to make it seem like he's alive until the queen hopefully gives birth to a son.

Things don't go to plan.

One dead/zombie king = half World War Z? 

More like half Weekend at Bernie's.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on February 11, 2019, 05:16:35 PM
Quote from: Syt on February 11, 2019, 05:05:53 PM

Is there a shorter version? Anyway, I'd say no. It's the kind of film better watched at home, during several sittings.

EDIT: I see, some yank-only butchery.

Is the Yank-only butchery as bad as the US producer cut of Once upon a time in America?

Josephus

Is Cloverfield Paradox anygood? IMDB shows little love, but what about Languish?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 12, 2019, 08:43:52 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 12, 2019, 03:41:10 AM
What's that about?
17th century Korea.

The King is "dying".

Things don't go to plan.

One dead/zombie king = half World War Z? 

More like half Weekend at Bernie's.

Things don't go to plan.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Savonarola

The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part (2019)

This had its moments, and some great gags; but overall it was probably a little too self referential and "Meta" for its own good.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as the first (and, of course, nowhere near as good as Lego Batman.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock