News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Upgrade (2018)

Logan Marshall-Green plays a man who is attacked by a gang of thugs leaving his wife dead and him paralyzed in a gritty near-now world.  He's given the chance to get a yet unapproved computer implant, called Stem, which lets him walk.  Stem talks to him, and with Stem and his enhanced body, he's off to revenge his wife.  The result is William Gibson's Death Wish.

The gore factor is a bit high; but the movie is otherwise enjoyable.  The fight scenes are great, a bit like the Matrix without the Wuxia influence.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on June 06, 2018, 07:39:25 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on June 06, 2018, 07:04:20 PM
Honestly, I'm surprised you engaged that long. He gets off on this, you know?

Exactly.  When people say stupid things, and then double down on them, I'm going to play them along.  It's fun watching them dance the Flamenco on their crank. That's what Languish is about.

Yeah, it was fun watching you do that, but then you went and got pissy and started to ignore me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

I'm watching Toys that made US documentary series on Netflix.

Toy makers are evil, evil machiavellian artists.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

When Mattel designed Skeletor did they actually infuse that figure with demonic powers?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Yes & No.

The 1st prototype is, of course, pure demoniac energy but I am unsure for all the actual retail figures.

Razgovory

Started watching that Warcraft movie.  Good God, that's bad.  They have a big establishing shot of a castle and the word "Stormwind" appears on the screen.  Then we see in characters in the castle talk for a couple minutes and they go, "Nope, we need to Goldshire where the king is".  And off we go.  Why the fuck did you bother showing us Stormwind?  Haven't finished the movie, yet but I can't imagine it gets any better.  I'm only able to follow half the plot because I played the video games, God help someone who hasn't.  Most of the time I have no idea who anyone is.  Keep in mind they are recounting events in an RTS that was released over 20 years ago.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

The movie is just fan service. If you haven't played & loved the game you have no reason or incentive to watch it.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 08, 2018, 11:20:53 AM
The movie is just fan service. If you haven't played & loved the game you have no reason or incentive to watch it.

I felt like I was watching The Hobbit with even more parts I didn't care about added.

Barrister

Went with Mrs B to see A Quiet Place.  She's a big fan of scary movies.

It was... interesting.  Lots of jump scares.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

The Last Tycoon - Amazon's adaptation of Scott Fitzgerald's unfinished last novel about Hollywood's golden age. It's decent, if unspectacular. It adds a weird nazi subplot that feels a bit shoehorned in, and takes a bit of the focus out of the main characters. There's loads of better shows, but if you fancy the Hollywood setting it's allright enough (although "Feud" is better).

Duque de Bragança

Since Ideologue is no longer around... :(

Body Double at the Cinémathèque during the de Palma's cycle

Brian de Palma's [spoiler]sleazy[/spoiler] masterpiece for those who like B-movies, blue movies, the 80's AND last but not least, Hitchcock!

The Brain

Isle of Dogs. I generally like the Wes style so I enjoyed the movie, if you don't like the style though you're gonna OD. My only complaint is that it could have been quite a bit [spoiler]darker. The ending was sugary sweet.[/spoiler]
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Watched the first episode of "Pose", the new Ryan Murphy show depicting New York's LGBT scene in the 1980s. It's certainly over-earnest and over the top, but it's a feature I guess. Will keep watching to see where it goes.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on June 10, 2018, 06:59:14 AM
Watched the first episode of "Pose", the new Ryan Murphy show depicting New York's LGBT scene in the 1980s. It's certainly over-earnest and over the top, but it's a feature I guess. Will keep watching to see where it goes.

Is it somewhat like Cruising, without the murders?  :P