And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 04, 2018, 04:05:50 PM
You are past hope

Ah, the ad hom when you've run out of intellectual arguments.  How surprising and out of character.   :rolleyes:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on June 04, 2018, 06:55:14 PM
The Expanse is doing an OK job of tracking.

Just started the books.  Well-written, but depressing.  Kinda like another series I can think of.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sophie Scholl

For anyone interested who doesn't own hard copies, Babylon 5 and the attached movies are available via Amazon Prime. :)
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

garbon

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 04, 2018, 09:49:46 PM
pFor anyone interested who doesn't own hard copies, Babylon 5 and the attached movies are available via Amazon Prime. :)

Those people exist? :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

With a rather broad definition of "interested", sure.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on June 05, 2018, 12:45:31 AM
pFor anyone interested who doesn't own hard copies, Babylon 5 and the attached movies are available via Amazon Prime. :)

For whatever reason, only the first season has ever been released in DVD in Spain. I keep wanting to buy it from the UK, but never got around to do it.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on June 05, 2018, 05:02:55 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 05, 2018, 12:45:31 AM

For whatever reason, only the first season has ever been released in DVD in Spain. I keep wanting to buy it from the UK, but never got around to do it.

Given that the NTSC-PAL conversion messed up even more the FX, you might want to check if there are cheap NTSC DVDs on sale somewhere on the interwebs.

QuoteBecause the Babylon 5 visual-effects shots were archived as 4:3 NTSC and the purely live-action shots were archived as High-Definition, there is a noticeable drop in quality whenever a shot containing CGI occurs (since the 4:3 NTSC image had to be blown up to fill and cropped to fill the 1.78:1 DVD). This drop in quality is much worse on PAL DVDs (were the shots had to be then transformed to PAL).

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=2240

Must look great on those 4K UHD TV sets.  :P
Unless, a FX remastering à la Star Trek Next Generation happens later on.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on June 04, 2018, 08:38:51 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 04, 2018, 04:05:50 PM
You are past hope

Ah, the ad hom when you've run out of intellectual arguments.  How surprising and out of character.   :rolleyes:

You are past hope because of the way you have expressed your meandering logic regarding why Martin would have written a script not because of who you are. 

crazy canuck

For anyone interested who doesn't own hard copies, Babylon 5 and the attached movies are available via Amazon Prime. :)

Not in Canada, nor apparently in the UK.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 05, 2018, 02:31:42 PM

Not in Canada, nor apparently in the UK.

Trade war!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Savonarola

East of Eden (1955)

The novel has the same issue when brought to screen as "Wuthering Heights;" it's a multi-generational novel, so one generation usually gets cut.  In "Wuthering Heights" it's almost always the first half of the novel that gets brought to screen (the story of Katherine and Heathcliff (it's no my-y-yth)).  In this case its the last part of the novel.

If Elia Kazan hadn't been a friend of John Steinbeck; this probably wouldn't have been brought to the screen at all. Steinbeck was notoriously touchy, but he was willing to trust Kazan's interpretation.  The does feature a lot of Kazan's weird diagonal angle shots, but it also has James Dean, so it does balance out.  This was Dean's first movie, and the only one he released in his lifetime (and Dean almost managed to torpedo his Hollywood career by refusing to attend the premiere.)

Dean was reportedly a difficult actor to work with; but Kazan's other big discovery was Marlon Brando, so he knew how to work with difficult.  James Dean's performance is electric; reined in just enough not to be annoying.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

11B4V

Goliath starting on the 15th. :)
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 05, 2018, 09:27:26 AM
You are past hope because of the way you have expressed your meandering logic regarding why Martin would have written a script not because of who you are.

I see Weasel Mode is fully engaged now.

First Rule of Holes.

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on June 04, 2018, 08:40:10 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 04, 2018, 06:55:14 PM
The Expanse is doing an OK job of tracking.

Just started the books.  Well-written, but depressing.  Kinda like another series I can think of.

True. My favorite character is Chrisjen Avasarala so far. Her and Drapper's interactions are hilarious in the books.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

celedhring

I wish they kept Avarasala's language from the books. She swears like a sailor and it works for her character very well. But you know, parental ratings.