And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on June 01, 2018, 09:50:29 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 01, 2018, 09:55:00 AM
And yet, that is not what happened in the books or the show when based on the books.  :hmm:

The book series is finished?  :huh:

Unfortunately, no. If it had been the show would have had a better script.

Savonarola

The Battle of Midway (1942)

The only thing John Ford liked more than the wild west :alberta: was the United States Navy; so when the navy asked him to take some films of the daily life of sailors he jumped at the offer.  The navy sent him to Midway island and he was there for the battle.  June 4-7, 1942 was really not a good series of days for the Japanese Empire; four carriers lost and a propaganda film shot by John Ford.

The film is a mixture of footage from the battle, mixed in with stock footage of small town America.  Some actors do voice overs as though they were neighbors of the sailors' parents.  It seems hokey today; but probably was moving at the time.  Of course the Japanese are referred to throughout the film as "Japs."  It was again in the spirit of the times.

Ford was worried that the film would be censored by the War Department, so he spliced in a scene of James Roosevelt in his Marine uniform and sent a copy to Franklin.  The film was released without any issue.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2018, 09:49:15 AM
And yet, that is not what happened in the books or the show when based on the books.  :hmm:

Duh!  Plus, Martin would likely have written some of the scripts.  Unfortunately, Martin cannot do what the producers cannot avoid:  start to close storylines and begin the story's resolution.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on June 02, 2018, 04:18:58 AM
Interesting... I admit that I haven't watched it since it first came out and memories are bit hazy about how all the gay stuff played out. What makes it dated/wrong?

I guess the oddest part is that a man in his 30s would still be closeted.  And the added pressure generated by being a deacon seems pretty fabricated.

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2018, 02:53:14 PM
Quote from: celedhring on June 02, 2018, 04:18:58 AM
Interesting... I admit that I haven't watched it since it first came out and memories are bit hazy about how all the gay stuff played out. What makes it dated/wrong?

I guess the oddest part is that a man in his 30s would still be closeted.  And the added pressure generated by being a deacon seems pretty fabricated.

Is it that unusual? remember this is what--10-15 years ago? He's from a Conservative household, in a conservative industry. I didn't find it too unusual. the deacon part was odd, yes, but not the closeted part.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

My memories are vague but from what I can recall I felt his whole handle on his sexuality felt dated at the time (well I was watching '08 after it had already been off the air a few years).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

The Woman in Black. Daniel Radcliffe vs a haunted house. I liked it. It could be argued that they use more environment than story but I think it works in this case. I like Radcliffe, he seems like a great guy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on June 03, 2018, 07:41:28 AM
Is it that unusual? remember this is what--10-15 years ago? He's from a Conservative household, in a conservative industry. I didn't find it too unusual. the deacon part was odd, yes, but not the closeted part.

They're in LA, not Souix Falls.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on June 02, 2018, 02:09:28 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2018, 09:49:15 AM

Duh!  Plus, Martin would likely have written some of the scripts. 

Why do you think Martin would have written the scripts - given the falling out he had with the show?

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 04, 2018, 09:32:34 AM
Why do you think Martin would have written the scripts - given the falling out he had with the show?

Because the show would have followed the books, and he has a history of being willing to write scripts for the show.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on June 04, 2018, 11:38:43 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 04, 2018, 09:32:34 AM

Because the show would have followed the books, and he has a history of being willing to write scripts for the show.

The show diverged from the books in significant ways in season 5.  Not coincidentally Martin did not write a script for seasons 5, 6 or 7.  so I am not sure why you think he would change his mind and come back to write a script for something that had gone off in its own direction.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 04, 2018, 12:15:07 PM
The show diverged from the books in significant ways in season 5.  Not coincidentally Martin did not write a script for seasons 5, 6 or 7.  so I am not sure why you think he would change his mind and come back to write a script for something that had gone off in its own direction.

The show went beyond the books in season 5.  Had the books been written, that wouldn't have happened.  I am not sure why you think he wouldn't continue to write if the series continued to follow the books.

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on June 04, 2018, 12:24:59 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 04, 2018, 12:15:07 PM

The show went beyond the books in season 5.  Had the books been written, that wouldn't have happened.

You are past hope

11B4V

The Expanse is doing an OK job of tracking.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on June 04, 2018, 06:55:14 PM
The Expanse is doing an OK job of tracking.

Agreed.  That has become my favourite.