News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Or in other words, yay a family of people who are actively tearing America apart for their own profit. Be polite though!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on May 31, 2018, 10:28:29 AM
The fact that GoT began sucking as soon as they ran out of published material doesn't make me too optimistic though.

Sucking?  Really?  If GoT sucks now it has always sucked.  Just because they eliminated 90% of the dross of the published material doesn't make their efforts "suck." 

Watch S6 episode 10 again and tell me how much it sucked.  Putz.  Every episode of Season 7 audience and share exceeded every episode of any previous season.  Putz.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

FunkMonk

Quote from: grumbler on May 31, 2018, 06:28:35 PM
The fact that GoT began sucking as soon as they ran out of published material doesn't make me too optimistic though.

Sucking?  Really?  If GoT sucks now it has always sucked.  Just because they eliminated 90% of the dross of the published material doesn't make their efforts "suck." 

Watch S6 episode 10 again and tell me how much it sucked.  Putz.  Every episode of Season 7 audience and share exceeded every episode of any previous season.  Putz.

Sorry, but it sucks now.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 31, 2018, 06:31:59 PM
Sorry, but it sucks now.

I yield to your superior evidence and analysis.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on May 31, 2018, 06:34:52 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on May 31, 2018, 06:31:59 PM
Sorry, but it sucks now.

I yield to your superior evidence and analysis.

Well, to be fair, his post was superior to yours if for no other reason than he did not use the term "Putz"

celedhring

Quote from: grumbler on May 31, 2018, 06:28:35 PM

I'm not sure if you're being fatetious, but the fact that the show now jumps from big epic moment to next big epic moment with zero buildup or "dross" is one of the reasons the show has taken a nose dive in quality, ratings notwithstanding. And that is what made GoT great.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on May 31, 2018, 06:26:01 PM
Also, calling a feckless cunt, a feckless cunt, is hardly vile and inexcusable. Why do we have to act like a trash family with no qualifications but money deserves respect?

It makes it easier to pretend our objections to his vulgarity and incivility are a matter of principle.

Valmy

Frankly if I thought he really was this incredibly intelligent visionary leader that his supporters think he is I would just ignore that shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 31, 2018, 08:27:33 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 31, 2018, 06:26:01 PM
Also, calling a feckless cunt, a feckless cunt, is hardly vile and inexcusable. Why do we have to act like a trash family with no qualifications but money deserves respect?

It makes it easier to pretend our objections to his vulgarity and incivility are a matter of principle.

Sometimes you just finally cannot stand the insanity.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on May 31, 2018, 06:57:31 PM
I'm not sure if you're being fatetious, but the fact that the show now jumps from big epic moment to next big epic moment with zero buildup or "dross" is one of the reasons the show has taken a nose dive in quality, ratings notwithstanding. And that is what made GoT great.

The climactic moments of books and shows is always going to speed up and leave behind a lot of the "character" moments.  If you think that that is taking "a nose dive in quality," well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on June 01, 2018, 07:08:27 AM
Quote from: celedhring on May 31, 2018, 06:57:31 PM

The climactic moments of books and shows is always going to speed up and leave behind a lot of the "character" moments.  If you think that that is taking "a nose dive in quality," well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

And yet, that is not what happened in the books or the show when based on the books.  :hmm:

Savonarola

Why We Fight: The Battle of Russia (1943)

Deceitful American Fascist film maker Frank Capra delivers truthful account of glorious Russian peoples eternal struggle against oppression.  Onward to radiant future guided by genius leader Comrade Stalin.

;)

This is from a series of US propaganda films made during the Second World War; all directed by Frank Capra.  This one was narrated by Walter Huston.  The film one goes way out of its way to show that the Ruskies are just like Americans (we lynch blacks, they gun down Kulaks; we're like brothers.)  They also completely ignore politics (the word "Communist" is never used; though the Russian Orthodox Church :pope: is depicted :unsure:).  They give a build up to Hitler's invasion but ignore the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, partition of Poland, occupation of the Baltic countries, and Winter War (though they do mention Finns fighting on the German side; there's just no explanation given as to why.)  The film covers the fighting up to the German defeat at the Battle of Stalingrad.  The film makes it sound like the Siege of Leningrad was over; but I think the Germans were there until 1944 (although I don't know how effective the siege was at that point.)

I learned that, at the time, Russians were referred to as "Great Russians" and Ukrainians were referred to as "Little Russians."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock