News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

FunkMonk

This damn Ken Burns Vietnam War documentary made me tear up  :cry:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on October 06, 2017, 01:04:31 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 06, 2017, 09:13:10 AM
Quote from: Liep on October 06, 2017, 07:58:43 AM
Quote from: Liep on October 06, 2017, 02:56:52 AM
So some of my favourite reviewers are all thrilled about the new Blade Runner so I bought a ticket for a showing at noon. Last time I bothered going to the cinema was for Arrival. I might be a Villeneuve fanboy.

Beautiful, long and quite good.

Also: Ana de Armas :wub:

Now it's when I say that I've talked to her a couple of times, her ex was an acquaintance of a friend of mine.

She's ridiculously beautiful in person too.

Didn't you say she's also quite childish?  :P

Yeah, she really is. His relationship with that dude was a surrogate daddy thing (even though the age difference wasn't that much).

That was... 4-5 years ago I think? Maybe she's matured.

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 06, 2017, 11:13:42 PM
This damn Ken Burns Vietnam War documentary made me tear up  :cry:

Yeah, I welled up a few times too.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Blade Runner 2049 was disappointing. Way, way too long, and way too much navel-gazing, a killer combo. Beautifully shot and all... but really, nearly 3 hours??

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on October 07, 2017, 03:43:54 PM
Blade Runner 2049 was disappointing. Way, way too long, and way too much navel-gazing, a killer combo. Beautifully shot and all... but really, nearly 3 hours??

I think it was great. I didn't mind the glacial pace as the movie for me was about the visuals and the ambience. The original was pretty weak in everything else as well

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

BR has decent pace, if anything because it clocks at less than 2 hours and has a simple yet tight plot (chase a bunch of fugitives). BR 2049 might have been a decent movie if it was shorter, but the pace and lack of focus killed it for me. Heck, even at nearly 3 hours the antagonist is very poorly defined, the whole [spoiler]replicant revolution[/spoiler] plot incredibly half-arsed... yet we have more footage of Ryan Gosling looking glum than watching "Drive" twice back to back.

Eddie Teach

He's still bummed about losing to Moonlight.

Liep

I liked the pace and the plot, but I did check my watch about 2 1/2 hours in because it didn't feel like we were anywhere near an ending ([spoiler]I thought we would be getting a revolution too, or at least an expansion on it[/spoiler]). Only disappointment for me was the score, I know there was a substitution but compared to BR this was almost none existent, at the same time the sound was generally really great.

Also, Goslings glumness was perfect together with Ana de Armas' character. I still can't believe how well they made her appear.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

What happened to Monday - silly premise and a plot which is very clichéd and obvious (the big reveals were foreseen long before they occured) but it hangs together quite well. Entertaining pseudo sci-fi overall.
██████
██████
██████

KRonn

I've been watching "The Orville". It's kind of like a lighter fare version of Star Trek type space stories with humor as part of it also. I'm liking it so far.