News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Maybe it's for women who fantasize about being stalked and raped. Like Ayn Rand.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on October 02, 2017, 11:04:30 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 02, 2017, 11:03:43 AM
Quote from: The Brain on October 01, 2017, 05:03:16 PM

And if anyone whines about spoilers regarding fucking 50 Shades they will be punished.

I am still at a loss to why you would watch that.  :hmm:

It was on the telly. I'm not gonna be judged by you.

Too late.

Liep

Bojack Horseman season 4. Great! 5/5

Reminded of the thoughts and prayers joke today. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on October 02, 2017, 12:33:05 PM
Quote from: Drakken on October 02, 2017, 11:01:05 AM
Quote from: Josephus on October 01, 2017, 05:34:44 PM
The only reason that was a hit was because it was based on a book that was basically pron for women who don't get out much. Not really a guy movie at all.

No shit. It's a Harlequin novel, but with rough sex involving tie-wraps and light BDSM with an unbelievably hot, rich, and suave entrepreneur. Yet while he gets to be the Dominant, she's still in control. Go figure.

Keep in mind that it was a Twilight fanfic before being rewritten, and you get it. Think Bella and Edward who are doin'it BDSM.

That is what I thought it was to. Because, you know, that would make perfect sense.

But then I heard about it and actually she does not want the BDSM sex. And he stalks her and does weird shit. So I don't get it.

Yeah it's a bit like watching a movie about a guy who gets interested in a lesbian, tries to turn her, but no being lesbian actually does mean that she's not into guys. The end.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 02, 2017, 12:40:23 PM
Maybe it's for women who fantasize about being stalked and raped. Like Ayn Rand.

We're still talking the new Star Trek, right?

HVC

Quote from: Liep on October 02, 2017, 01:42:34 PM
Bojack Horseman season 4. Great! 5/5

Reminded of the thoughts and prayers joke today. :(

I tried getting into this show, but I just can't.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

School Ties, 1992.  Brendon Frasier is the only Jew at an elite prep school in the 50s.  The anti-Semitism is pretty ham-handed, and it's hard to get past the notion that a Jew gets a football scholarship, but it's watchable.  The love interest is cute.

Josquius

Dunkirk
It's strange. Not like a normal film in style at all. The sound was pretty annoying too. The music clashed with people speaking often. Sometimes the French subtitles were necessary for English speakers.
But overall quite cool.  I imagine if I were watching at home it wouldn't be quite as good.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 02, 2017, 03:20:30 PM
School Ties, 1992.  Brendon Frasier is the only Jew at an elite prep school in the 50s.  The anti-Semitism is pretty ham-handed, and it's hard to get past the notion that a Jew gets a football scholarship, but it's watchable.  The love interest is cute.

Maybe it was supposed to be Sid Luckman's son...or Lyle Alzado...or Julian Edelman's grandfather.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Star Trek ep. 3 - Yep, entertaining. Surprisingly dark, too. I wonder where they want to take this.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on October 02, 2017, 03:33:49 PM
Star Trek ep. 3 - Yep, entertaining. Surprisingly dark, too. I wonder where they want to take this.

It was indeed entertaining. 3 for 3 so far. :)

Also, hopefully the intro of science will calm down the haters who are claiming that it is Trek in the vein of the reboot.

On a side note, does anyone know why they are so obsessed with Trek prequels?  Seems they'd have a lot more freedom with events sent after everything we already know. Saw gizmodo review that also echoed that current plot of Discovery so far could work with different enemy race, further in the future.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2017, 05:26:19 PM
On a side note, does anyone know why they are so obsessed with Trek prequels?
no idea.  Enterprise wasn't a success, Voyager neither, much less than TNG and DS9.

But DS9 really took off when they brought the Klingons onboard.

Maybe that's what they think here.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Better episode.  Still some weird stuff like a tribble and forgetting the technology for transition lenses.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

dps

Saw the new IT movie.  Better than I expected, but not particularly scary.  Though I suppose it would be scary for little kids, or if you have a pre-existing fear of clowns.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2017, 05:26:19 PM

It was indeed entertaining. 3 for 3 so far. :)

Also, hopefully the intro of science will calm down the haters who are claiming that it is Trek in the vein of the reboot.

On a side note, does anyone know why they are so obsessed with Trek prequels?  Seems they'd have a lot more freedom with events sent after everything we already know. Saw gizmodo review that also echoed that current plot of Discovery so far could work with different enemy race, further in the future.

I finally saw Ep 3.  Quite thoroughly enjoyed it.

For the mega-fans there are tons of references and call-backs to TOSS, even if not directly trying to imitate the visuals.

I saw some comments that by setting at this particular point, it's pre-Prime Directive, and may give them some liberties that way.

But yes - there is also a sense that maybe it's just because Klingons make great enemies.

I always wanted Star Trek to be less utopian, a little darker.  And this show is definitely giving that to me.  They just better be building up to something, and not just making this up as they go along though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.